300blk subsonic loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300blk subsonic loads

Post by plant.one »

gds wrote:
300lefty wrote:
plant.one wrote:if you can handload, the 208gr ELD-M is a great bullet for subs and can be loaded very accurately. you just have to take the time to do it right :)

go take a look at our 200 yd subsonic challenge thread

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=98191

you can also browse the Load Catalog for more information too - TONS and TONS of loads there

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=81567

are you just looking for a paper puncher load? or something to hunt with?

knowing your goals will help us help you pick a bullet and load easier :)
Yes I have a few 208 eld-m's , I am wanting to use this for hunting so I'm wondering how well will they expand of any at subsonic velocity?

The Hornady 208 eld-m's will NOT expand at subsonic velocities. Any of the heavy grain bullets from the major manufactures are not designed for expansion at subsonic velocities. You either need one of the custom or slightly custom bullets, or make your own.

ya if you're gonna hunt - stick with lehigh's or makers or blackoutbullets.com's 220 expander

the amax/eld-m occassionally tumble on impact, but its not reliable or consistent effect, so they're not usually considered a good choice for hunting.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Expansion is not the only way to get a subsonic bullet to kill. 100 years ago solid, lead hunting bullets were used with great success.

My 265 grain bullet tumbles and doesn’t worry about under penetration like some bullets designed to expand at subsonic velocities. It was also designed specifically for the 300 Blackout. Powder capacity has been optimized for the 300 Blackout. It was also designed so accuracy can be fine tuned to the gun. It is cast using mill certified 92-6-2 alloy so no matter the time between orders you will get identical bullets. They are shipped in wooden boxes that can be used for storage after the bullets are gone.

I have read and been told of accounts of subsonic expanding bullets hitting a shoulder and stopping just under the skin.

And if you would like to discuss we can talk on Discord or Teamspeak.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
TKO
Silent Operator

Post by TKO »

gds wrote:
300lefty wrote:
plant.one wrote:if you can handload, the 208gr ELD-M is a great bullet for subs and can be loaded very accurately. you just have to take the time to do it right :)

go take a look at our 200 yd subsonic challenge thread

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=98191

you can also browse the Load Catalog for more information too - TONS and TONS of loads there

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=81567

are you just looking for a paper puncher load? or something to hunt with?

knowing your goals will help us help you pick a bullet and load easier :)
Yes I have a few 208 eld-m's , I am wanting to use this for hunting so I'm wondering how well will they expand of any at subsonic velocity?

The Hornady 208 eld-m's will NOT expand at subsonic velocities. Any of the heavy grain bullets from the major manufactures are not designed for expansion at subsonic velocities. You either need one of the custom or slightly custom bullets, or make your own.

Beg to differ . . . unless you don't consider Nosler a major manufacturer of bullets.

220 grain Accubond:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=100819#p975028
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

TKO wrote:
gds wrote:
300lefty wrote:

Beg to differ . . . unless you don't consider Nosler a major manufacturer of bullets.

220 grain Accubond:

If you can point me to some user recovered bullets, I will re-evaluate my stance.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

didnt nosler make that round nose "glow tip" bullet for noveske thats supposed to expand at sub velocity?

https://www.nosler.com/noveske-ammunition/

i dont think however that they made it onto dr phil's list of bullets and their effective range though
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

gds wrote:
TKO wrote:
gds wrote:

220 grain Accubond:

If you can point me to some user recovered bullets, I will re-evaluate my stance.
Who needs expansion when you can get them in the target sideways.

So far the Nosler bullet has some mixed results to say the least. There have been a few threads on it. None have shown great expansion below 900 fps, and the latest and only one I know of to shoot them at any distance shows serious stability issues.

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=101041
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TKO
Silent Operator

Post by TKO »

gds wrote:
TKO wrote:
gds wrote:

220 grain Accubond:

Your stance (as I read it) is that the "heavy grain bullets from major manufacters (sic) are not designed for expansion at subsonic velocities".

The bullet I have shown is:

1. a heavy bullet for caliber - check
2. from a major bullet maker - check
3. designed for expansion at subsonic velocities (complete with a picture of an expanded bullet fired at sub sonic velocities into the universally accepted testing medium on the back of the box). - check

I am willing to take the manufacturers claims in good faith and I will be using these bullets this year out of a 8" barrel (guarantees they will be subsonic). I will do my best to recover one for you.

gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

TKO wrote:
gds wrote:
TKO wrote:

220 grain Accubond:

Your stance (as I read it) is that the "heavy grain bullets from major manufacters (sic) are not designed for expansion at subsonic velocities".

The bullet I have shown is:

1. a heavy bullet for caliber - check
2. from a major bullet maker - check
3. designed for expansion at subsonic velocities (complete with a picture of an expanded bullet fired at sub sonic velocities into the universally accepted testing medium on the back of the box). - check

I am willing to take the manufacturers claims in good faith and I will be using these bullets this year out of a 8" barrel (guarantees they will be subsonic). I will do my best to recover one for you.

I will tell you what. At the point I made my post I was unaware of the Nosler round, or possibly I had at some point seen it and dismissed the claims, simply as hype. Either way. I will rephrase my post so as to make you happy.

Very few of the heavy gr .30 caliber bullets produced by major manufactures will expand at subsonic velocities. of the few that claim to have one I am unconvinced of their claims because there has not been enough testing outside of the manufactures claims to convince me they will work.

Now since you clearly have a much greater knowledge of subsonic hunting requirements then myself, I look forward to you schooling me on subsonic hunting.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

:lol: Yeah gds, you might learn something. :lol:

Recovering one of those bullets from an animal, good our bad would be of great benefit to the collective as it's actual performance has been somewhat questionable.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

rebel wrote::lol: Yeah gds, you might learn something. :lol:

Recovering one of those bullets from an animal, good our bad would be of great benefit to the collective as it's actual performance has been somewhat questionable.
I am thankful for this forum bringing in experts in the field so novices such as myself can have a chance to learn from the best.