300blk subsonic loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300blk subsonic loads

Post by rebel »

gds wrote:
rebel wrote::lol: Yeah gds, you might learn something. :lol:

Recovering one of those bullets from an animal, good our bad would be of great benefit to the collective as it's actual performance has been somewhat questionable.
I am thankful for this forum bringing in experts in the field so novices such as myself can have a chance to learn from the best.
Maybe you should check out our sub hunting primer and see what knowledge you could glean from that :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
TKO
Silent Operator

Post by TKO »

I merely pointed out that a major manufacturer did produce a bullet that was, by design, intended to expand at subsonic velocities contrary to what I saw posted. I figured that gds either wasn't aware of the bullet or he didn't consider it mainstream. I know I have had guys at Camp Perry look at me like I have two heads because I am launching Noslers and not Bergers, Sierras et al.

This does not make me an expert nor did I ever claim to be one. This was not me trying to school someone. This was just me giving the OP another option to look into.

I am aware of and have the utmost respect the body of work that gds has put forth regarding subsonic hunting for the benefit of the forum. I did not challenge this in any way, shape or form nor will I.

I sincerely apologize to any and all that feel that I was disrespectful in any way. That was never my intention.

In any event, if God blesses myself and my family with harvest a whitetail, and I am fortunate enough to recover the bullet, I will share it in a new thread for the possible good of the order.

I wish gds and Rebel well and, once again, thank them for what they have contributed to this body. I know that I have benefited greatly from their shared knowledge and experiences.

Peace and Blessings
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

TKO wrote:I merely pointed out that a major manufacturer did produce a bullet that was, by design, intended to expand at subsonic velocities contrary to what I saw posted. I figured that gds either wasn't aware of the bullet or he didn't consider it mainstream. I know I have had guys at Camp Perry look at me like I have two heads because I am launching Noslers and not Bergers, Sierras et al.

This does not make me an expert nor did I ever claim to be one. This was not me trying to school someone. This was just me giving the OP another option to look into.

I am aware of and have the utmost respect the body of work that gds has put forth regarding subsonic hunting for the benefit of the forum. I did not challenge this in any way, shape or form nor will I.

I sincerely apologize to any and all that feel that I was disrespectful in any way. That was never my intention.

In any event, if God blesses myself and my family with harvest a whitetail, and I am fortunate enough to recover the bullet, I will share it in a new thread for the possible good of the order.

I wish gds and Rebel well and, once again, thank them for what they have contributed to this body. I know that I have benefited greatly from their shared knowledge and experiences.

Peace and Blessings
All things considered, it is all good.

I have got to the point where I have been told flat out I have no idea what I am doing, that I just get to the point of smart alec commentary, when ever the conversation starts going that direction.

I still have my doubts of these and the new Hornady offering. But hopeful they work as advertised.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

TKO wrote:I merely pointed out that a major manufacturer did produce a bullet that was, by design, intended to expand at subsonic velocities contrary to what I saw posted. I figured that gds either wasn't aware of the bullet or he didn't consider it mainstream. I know I have had guys at Camp Perry look at me like I have two heads because I am launching Noslers and not Bergers, Sierras et al.

Peace and Blessings
Hey, no problem my man, just me being a horse's ass. I'm good at it. Good Luck hunting this season.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Max_Spansion

Post by Max_Spansion »

Thought I'd chime in here. We're not going to be selling these projectiles alone at release but we will be loading them in long and short barrel velocities using Lapua 300BLK brass. Out of a 6.75" 1:5 twist honey badger the sub loads are about 900fps at the muzzle. It's a 188gr machined solid copper projectile. A solid 1.5 years of development has gone into these projectiles and we're looking to release the loads in late November 2017.

Some pre-production units

Pic of the expanded bullet post Heavy Clothing (FBI protocol) test. 13" penetration 98% weight retention - 900FPS

Pic of the bullets expanded from 846FPS to 1141FPS. We've seen these expand down to 750fps for what it's worth.

Lone Star Boars just did a video with them and the HB and he had excellent results with some smaller hogs - good passthroughs. You can check out the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCHXV_3j_M&t=4s

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Thanks,

David Stark
Discreet Ballistics
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Max_Spansion wrote:Thought I'd chime in here. We're not going to be selling these projectiles alone at release but we will be loading them in long and short barrel velocities using Lapua 300BLK brass. Out of a 6.75" 1:5 twist honey badger the sub loads are about 900fps at the muzzle. It's a 188gr machined solid copper projectile. A solid 1.5 years of development has gone into these projectiles and we're looking to release the loads in late November 2017.

Some pre-production units

Pic of the expanded bullet post Heavy Clothing (FBI protocol) test. 13" penetration 98% weight retention - 900FPS

Pic of the bullets expanded from 846FPS to 1141FPS. We've seen these expand down to 750fps for what it's worth.

Lone Star Boars just did a video with them and the HB and he had excellent results with some smaller hogs - good passthroughs. You can check out the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCHXV_3j_M&t=4s

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Thanks,

David Stark
Discreet Ballistics
Thanks for the heads up.

But mostly want to thank someone you for posting real impact velocity results.

Any numbers on penetration at the lower speeds?

Link to thread specific to bullet

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=101259
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.