CZ 527 300 BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

CZ 527 300 BLK

Post by rebel »

After a long wait and an understanding distributor, I finally got the cash to get this in my hands. At risk of sounding like a gun writer, I will review this rifle for you guys. Keep in mind, I ponied up my money for this, so if I don't like it I have to get rid of it. That being said, here we go.

First impressions were typical of CZ quality and that they had vaccum packed it in enough oil to lube a Navy destroyer. ( We will come back to this later) After wiping it down, I removed the stock and continued my wipe down. I noted the tight fit of the stock, the recoil lug and the trigger adjustment screws . This rifle wouldn't be hard to bed if it's needed. The barrel was free floated except at the tip. Being a synthetic stock, this wouldn't be hard to do and I'll probably address this later.

Trigger pull was around 3 1/2 lbs on two stage and once the set trigger was engaged around 2 lbs. Both had a bit of creep. Mounted a Leupold Mk AR 6x18, fine crosshair with Mil - Dots with the supplied rings and bore sighted.

In honor of Dolomite, my first shots from this rifle would be made with the 265 gr. DS special. Loaded at his suggested OAL of 2.12, N120 powder, new Hornady brass that had been run through the sizer and a CCI magnum primer, I had no doubt the would be stable, but as my usual protocol my first shot was at 5 yards on clean white paper. Stable, no tail swipes and suppressor safe. However, I was running out of daylight.

Making sure Ella was happy in the house, I quickly set up a target at 50 yards, got the bull bag set up on the hood of the truck and loaded 3 rounds.
One should never be hurried while shooting but Oh Well, no rear bag just get it on target.
I wasn't really surprised when this beautifully designed bullet shot so well. Back to the lube on the gun, I had checked to insure the barrel was clear but had not swabbed it out. :oops:
My first shot was a bit high, the second two touched.

Very pleased with the first effort and getting dark I went to measure the new brass vs. sub - fire formed ( which probably isn't fully formed ).
The new Hornady was really short. Probably not an issue in an AR, definitely could be in a bolt. Unlike the previously owned RARR, the CZ had no trouble with shorter brass and magnum primers. A plus for me because I use CCI SRM primers almost exclusively.

And then after......

Primers did not show pressure, generous firing pin mark but not cratered, all in all a good first test. Other first impressions - the rifle has very tight tolerances. The bolt was difficult to bring forward initially on a loaded round. This was resolved by a bit of light grease applied on bearing surfaces and I'm sure will get better upon break in.

I will be testing more subs and a few supers this weekend hopefully. The supers should give me a more accurate chamber measurement.
All in all, I am pleased with my purchase. At almost (not quite) twice the money of a RARR I expected more and so far CZ delivered.
More to come.
Edit - one more thing, the stock was very sturdy on the forend. Almost zero flex which was an issue with me on the Ruger. So no problems shooting this rifle with bipods.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: CZ 527 300 BLK

Post by rebel »

The magazine also seems to have generous room for loading long - a plus for supers. Forgot to add that. Will give a max length soon.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Glad you finally have it in your hands. You have wanting/talking about for a while now.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

They are awesome little rifles and I have yet to hear of one that will not shoot well. Glad to see that CZ's also like my bullet.

Question, did you feed them from the magazine or load them one at a time? Curious how they worked.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

All feed from the magazine.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Rebel,

I love set triggers and see this series of rifles is advertised with one. I assume it is a push forward to set, pull to touch off. How does the trigger feel? It would be nice to buy a rifle and not have to put an aftermarket trigger in it.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

It is fully adjustable, but I have not messed with as of yet. I listed my thoughts in the OP but without the trigger is smooth and clean. Just a bit of creep.
Engaging the set trigger is a push forward and drops the pull around 1 1/2 lbs.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Are the scope mounts "0" 20 MOA?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

It does seem that way looking from the side. I'll read the book tonight and report back.
PNW17
Senior Silent Operator

Post by PNW17 »

I bought one today and got it to the range. Grouped well shooting subs and supers. What I like the best about it is the magazine, it's far superior to the Rarr magazine. You can also put a single round in the action with an empty mag and it will chamber. I could not get the rarr to do that.