CZ 527 300 BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: CZ 527 300 BLK

Post by rebel »

Alderleet wrote:So I fixed the mag issue. The follower still wants to nose dive, because the spring is mostly contained in the rear of the mag, with a small front blip to control the front of the follower.

I had to press the mag tighter in the middle, where the feedlips start, and that made loading easier. Must've been a bit of warp from when the mag was welded.

The thing I'm noticing is that I think the feed lips extend too far forward, since the case neck starts about 5/16" behind the front of the feed lips when loaded. I'm curious if CZ would consider grinding the feed lips back, so loading on has to only overcome the outside body diameter, instead of nose diving the loaded cartridges when pressing a round in and it pushes against the case neck.

I'm still not a huge fan of the stock. I disassembled and retightened, but had to fight a little getting the bottom metal guided into the bottom of the receiver, while also trying to make the barrel more centered in the barrel channed in the foreend. I believe that my stock has a bit of left leaning warp, because even after wrestling with it to move the action slightly left, the best I could accomplish was a about a 1/16 gap on the right side.

I may stuff my stock in a padded vice, and press into it to get the front end more centered.

I've been playing with the action for a week now, and the intial machining drag is now gone. I finally added a bit of grease to the bolt and action/camming surfaces, and it runs like smooth glass now.

I'm a tall guy (6'5"), and the rifle doesnt feel way too short in LOP. Its short, but not bad.

I like how handy the 16" barrel is, and how light it is with my osprey can attached.

It feels much more quality than the ruger american rifle I was considering in 300blk. If I can swap to a wood stock, I would take this hands freaking down over a ruger any day of the week. I have a RPR, and i'm accustomed to the new ruger actions, but this is a whole new level.

All in all, solid reccomend. Even more so if you can swap a wood stock.
Your observations mirror mine. I agree with the feed lip issue and may modify when I get a spare.
My stock needs free floating, as most do. I found applying more torque to the front action screw first, then tightening the rear snug helped center the stock. Synthetic stocks do not bother me at all, so long as they are not flimsy. Mine seems much more solid than most.
To early to see what is truly needed, if anything, with this platform. I'm sure I will float it,, and it probably has a glass bedding job in it's future.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

PNW17 wrote:CZ Website has the mags in stock at $40 a pop. Pricey.
Yeah, that's about what I paid each for the two I have that work. All factory mags, but the one that came with the gun has a different spring and misfeeds frequently.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

How about measuring the difference in bolt throw between the CZ and the RARR? Also, bolt diameter?
Thanks
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I don't have those measurements as I sold my RARR but will say the Ruger bolt is massive, but the throw on the CZ is shorter.
It's really not meant to be a contest. $400 dollar rifle vs. $700 dollar rifle. The critiques of the CZ are minor in nature.
As a guy that's owned both, the Ruger cannot compare with the quality of this rifle. There is never going to be a bolt gun that doesn't have feed issues with the wide array of loads that can be fed in it. We will see at the range.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

I was just curious. Years ago I toyed with the idea of converting a Mossberg MVP to 300B because of the smaller action. I was saving funds and finding sources for the necessary parts.
Then the RARR was announced and the MVP was forgotten. I have been happy with the RARR, but I wished the action were smaller. I have never fired a factory cartridge in it.
Around that time a friend went as far as having a barrel nut machined to fit the barrel threads of a CZ so he could convert one into 300B. I never heard if he had completed it.
The CZ should be ideal for the 300B. The controlled feed should solve many problems.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

A little fooling around yesterday with the remnants of Irma moving in. Just at the house and just 50 yards. Shot 6 rounds of factory 120 Remington supers and 3 rounds set .003 off the lands and 18 gr of 296. 125 gr. SMK.
For all you non reloaders , can you pick the handload from the group?
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

rebel wrote:A little fooling around yesterday with the remnants of Irma moving in. Just at the house and just 50 yards. Shot 6 rounds of factory 120 Remington supers and 3 rounds set .003 off the lands and 18 gr of 296. 125 gr. SMK.
That's a pretty good group for an old fart :mrgreen: just out of curiosity what was your OAL on that at .003 off the lands?
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

CBTO was 1.71
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:
The three in the cardboard, just below the target paper?

:mrgreen:

ok the low right group
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

rebel wrote:CBTO was 1.71
I thought you were talking about the 125 SMK

(Scratches head)

Must have been some subs huh.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press