Success with the evil 300blkout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Joel45acp

Success with the evil 300blkout

Post by Joel45acp »

I was bound and determined to make the Hornady SST 150gr pills work and boy did they ever. This group was shot at 100yds. 1st round hit 12" low so I adjusted the scope(nikon buckmaster 'll 3-12x40). The next 4 rounds went into less than 1/2 MOA.

JC

Jeremiah 29:11
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Success with the evil 300blkout

Post by dellet »

Joel45acp wrote:I was bound and determined to make the Hornady SST 150gr pills work and boy did they ever. This group was shot at 100yds. 1st round hit 12" low so I adjusted the scope(nikon buckmaster 'll 3-12x40). The next 4 rounds went into less than 1/2 MOA.

I guess we'll have to take you're word for it since the pic did not show up. :oops:

Both the 150 SST and the 155 Amax should hold half MOA or better for you. A big step up from the FMJ or SP you were trying.

The Amax generally shoots 3/4"-1" at 200 pushing it pretty hard. You can keep it above 1800 fps that far so it's a viable hunting round.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Joel45acp

Post by Joel45acp »

Arrrr! :cry: Why doesnt my pic show up?
JC

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Joel45acp wrote:I was bound and determined to make the Hornady SST 150gr pills work and boy did they ever. This group was shot at 100yds. 1st round hit 12" low so I adjusted the scope(nikon buckmaster 'll 3-12x40). The next 4 rounds went into less than 1/2 MOA.

Hi there and welcome!!

Looks like your pic was moved or deleted lol.

I'm glad you got it working. Just keep in mind that the 150gr SST is very likely a poor choice for hunting. The 300BLK just doesn't have enough speed for 150gr 30cal bullets to hit the min expansion speed of 1800fps within 100yds. You might get 50yds out of it for expansion but just wanted to make sure you were aware that the 150gr bullet will simply needle right through without mushrooming and delivering as much damage as better bullet :)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

tallburnedmidget wrote:

Hi there and welcome!!

I'm glad you got it working. Just keep in mind that the 150gr SST is very likely a poor choice for hunting. The 300BLK just doesn't have enough speed for 150gr 30cal bullets to hit the min expansion speed of 1800fps within 100yds. You might get 50yds out of it for expansion but just wanted to make sure you were aware that the 150gr bullet will simply needle right through without mushrooming and delivering as much damage as better bullet :)
200 yards is about max limit with the SST if you load it to 2100 fps. Easy to do in a bolt action, possible but tricky in an AR.
Joel45acp

Post by Joel45acp »

dellet wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:

Hi there and welcome!!

200 yards is about max limit with the SST if you load it to 2100 fps. Easy to do in a bolt action, possible but tricky in an AR.
Yes, this is out of a Remmy 700. I loaded them using 15.6, 15.8 and 16.0 of H110 and all shot sub MOA. I couldnt get my chrono to work (battery issues) so I'm not sure on the velocity. I generally take head shots and keep my shots to 120yds absolute max so i think the 150SST will work for porkies, yotes, bunnies and such. I'm just trying to figure out why my pics won't show up or why I can't see other's posted pics. Hmmmmm
JC

hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

It may not be related but Tinypics is owned by the same people that own Photobucket. Photobucket went to a higher priced format (see earlier discussions).
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Joel45acp wrote:
dellet wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:
Hi there and welcome!!

Yes, this is out of a Remmy 700. I loaded them using 15.6, 15.8 and 16.0 of H110 and all shot sub MOA. I couldnt get my chrono to work (battery issues) so I'm not sure on the velocity. I generally take head shots and keep my shots to 120yds absolute max so i think the 150SST will work for porkies, yotes, bunnies and such. I'm just trying to figure out why my pics won't show up or why I can't see other's posted pics. Hmmmmm
Pig headshots, yotes, and bunnies will be fine. Just know you may not recover anything that is not a head shot.
I personally only go for headshots on pigs and I will shoot them with anything so you should be golden there. With a deer you probably want to move down to the 125gr SST if you like the SST bullets. Many people like the 125gr SST for hunting whitetail and many have reported great success on whitetail with it.

Best of luck :)
Joel45acp

Post by Joel45acp »

dellet wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:

Hi there and welcome!!

Can you share your insight into the "2100 fps" load with the 150 grainers?
JC

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Joel45acp wrote:
dellet wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote:
Hi there and welcome!!

Can you share your insight into the "2100 fps" load with the 150 grainers?
It's a well kept secret so don't tell anyone 8)

Hornady, Accurate powder and possibly Sierra have data using 1680 that is 2050 fps +. By increasing the length and adding powder you can safely increase velocity another 100 fps depending on your rifle and comfort level.

I run my brass at max shoulder length to increase available capacity and treat it like anyone else shooting for max performance.

The 150 SST is a very good choice for this. Depending on your chamber and how you size your brass, max COL is around 2.280" and that leaves around .140" bearing surface in the neck plus the boat tail. You can generally load just a little longer than 2.260" in a bolt gun. You just need to experiment some.

Instead of 1680, I use Shooters World Blackout. It's very similar to 1680, but is slightly less dense so you can get more in the case, and it is slightly hotter. 3-4% less powder for same velocity. Either powder, depending on your capabilities and where you hit acceptable accuracy will get you over 2100 fps safely.

At 1750 fps that bullet generally expands enough to shed the tip and fragment the jacket back to basically 300" giving you a 30 caliber wad cutter with razor edges. 1850 it mushrooms to over .400. That gives you 150 yards and some wiggle room if needed. Depending on your shooting conditions 2100 fps should be 1800 past 175 yards and will have over 1000 pounds of energy past 200 yards.

Compare that with a 125 SST at 2350 fps. To get slightly less energy @ 50 pounds, and crosses the 200 yard Mark around 100 fps faster. Trajectory is not that much different, so it really just becomes a choice.

If you chose to experiment, higher velocities with sub MOA accuracy is possible with both bullets.