Evil world of Blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Evil world of Blackout

Post by smustian »

Joel45acp ... It is quite refreshing to have someone come to the board that is willing to put forth the time and effort to develop a load. Too many newbies want to be told what to shoot and never develop anything. I look forward to reading the results as you venture down the rabbit hole.

Welcome to the board.
Joel45acp

Post by Joel45acp »

So I headed out to my local range and flung some lead down range. I only tried factory Rem 120hpbt and I must say the QC on those rounds is lacking to say the least. I had different OAL in most of the rounds. However, the gun did show some promise. I was able to squeeze off a few 3 round groups well under MOA. But some were over 1.5 MOA. I used a bipod which might have been a bad idea since the barrel was making contact with the flimsy stock. Nevertheless, it shows promise and now for some load developement. Got the Hornady dies today so I'll be loading up some Hornady 150sp pills with different powders and see where it takes me. I'll post up my results. Thanks again gents.
JC

Jeremiah 29:11
Joel45acp

Post by Joel45acp »

So I headed out to the range today with a box load(15 rnds) of reloads. Well, to save time all I can say is it was not a successful trip. I loaded Hornady 150SP with 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0gr of Unique. The 6.0gr showed the best group at just over 2MOA. Sound and recoil were nonexistent to say the least. Back to the drawing board I guess. Lol
JC

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Try a better bullet, at least until you get decent handle on the cartridge.

You did not give a distance. If your at 100, 20 fps ES will be good for a half inch or better of vertical.

Remember that your shooting right in the hardest velocity window for accuracy, 950-1150, so keep expectations realistic. Sub MOA is possible with subs, but it's much harder to get at 100 yards and beyond.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Joel45acp

Post by Joel45acp »

dellet wrote:Try a better bullet, at least until you get decent handle on the cartridge.

You did not give a distance. If your at 100, 20 fps ES will be good for a half inch or better of vertical.

Remember that your shooting right in the hardest velocity window for accuracy, 950-1150, so keep expectations realistic. Sub MOA is possible with subs, but it's much harder to get at 100 yards and beyond.
I'm actually gonna try H110 next week. I have a box of the Hornady 150's so I wanted to see what kind of groups I'd get. My groups were vertical which indicates possible extreme ES. By the way, I was setup at 100yds. Just curious, but have any of you fired your Remmy 700 with supers through a can? Is it hearing safe with say a rnd traveling at 1800fps?
JC

steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

In my opinion I would stay away from the "middle range" of .30cal bullets. They are exactly that middle of both ends and are not the best option with 300blkout.

If your looking for better groups you definatley will need a better bullet. As Dellet said above, subs are not as easy to get sub moa. Youll have to do alot of testing but makes you understand the round alot more. And with that you might as well use a good bullet to take that out of the equation.

As far as supers, bolt gun and supressor, I think they are hearing safe on most calibers. All you hear is the sonic crack basically.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Joel45acp wrote:Just curious, but have any of you fired your Remmy 700 with supers through a can? Is it hearing safe with say a rnd traveling at 1800fps?
The make of the rifle and speed of the round, 1200fps sounds the same as 2500fps to the shooter, aren't going to make a difference. Barrel length and action are two variables to consider though. So for your question, any ~16" bolt gun will be comparable but than you have to take into account the suppressor being used and just how deaf the shooter your asking is.

"Hearing safe" can be debated as well. I normally call it either being hearing comfortable or not. I'm not a doctor so I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's actually causing any damage or not. This brings you back to the shooter again. Say an old fart like Smus is doing the shooting, his hearing is already worse than mine so he may call it comfortable while I say it's still not. :mrgreen:

Now that I've babbled on I'll give you my short answer. I shoot my RARR with supers through my omega without hearing protection and it does not bother me one bit.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Joel45acp wrote:
dellet wrote:Try a better bullet, at least until you get decent handle on the cartridge.

I'm actually gonna try H110 next week. I have a box of the Hornady 150's so I wanted to see what kind of groups I'd get. My groups were vertical which indicates possible extreme ES. By the way, I was setup at 100yds. Just curious, but have any of you fired your Remmy 700 with supers through a can? Is it hearing safe with say a rnd traveling at 1800fps?
Bullet and powder choce and combinations need a little more thought in the cartridge. Basically case fill is more important to consider.

You are going to have a low density with almost any power you choose because you're running a short bulllet and trying to get it close to the lands. You'll want either a pistol powder that works well with low fill, or a rifle power that is bulky and can fill the case that won't produce a lot of pressure. The balance between a low ES, jump for accuracy, keeping velocity below 1050 is tricky.

As for supers and suppressors, in general they are tolerable with the longer barrels. One thing to keep in mind is where you are shooting. Out in the open I have no problem shooting without ear protection, but this is also powder choice dependent.

It I am under a roof it changes depending on landscape. If there is a wall close by when I'm under a roof there are some sub loads I won't even try without protection. There is no single answer.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Without a doubt the 300 Blackout is the most versatile caliber on the market. You can take squirrels with no damage to the meat, moose with proper shot placement as well as anything in between. With a bolt gun, or any single shot, you can use whatever 30 caliber bullet you want.

Without a doubt single shots are the quietest and because of that they are also the most fun. I shoot my single shots 100x more than my semi autos. Using fast powders in a single shot with a silencer is amazing, it is almost magical in how quiet they are. With my silencer my 16" Encore is quieter than a sling shot using fast powder loads. And the best part is you can use any weight bullet you have it want. I have some 90 grain XTP bullets with 5 grains of Trail Boss and those are so quiet all you hear is the bullet's impact.

When I go to a public range I mess with people. I wait for a lull then launch a super quiet bullet at a steel target. All the other shooters hear is the steel target ring and then the confusion sets in as they try to figure out what just happened.

If you want to talk I can PM my number. I enjoy talking to people about the caliber because it is amazing in what it is capable of.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!