RARR/ Stock Options

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GregP42
Silent Operator

Re: RARR/ Stock Options

Post by GregP42 »

I would love to see the pics, but photobucket strikes again.
19dsniper wrote:I was having similar problems with mine. I switched to a Boyds stock for the American model. When i called Boyds and spoke with them at the time, they were not sure if it would fit the RARR as it was made for the American. All things considered, it should be the same, just with a shorter barrel. Anyways, i told then i would be their guinea pig. It went together pretty well. I had to do just a little work with some sandpaper in the barrel channel, and i had to create a shim to go under the magazine catch because it was too low in the stock and would not allow the magazine to catch correctly. After that, i installed the V blocks and then bedded the rifle. I have the before and after pictures. The before target is 17.0 grains of H110 with a 110 Varmageddon bullet. The after is the same exact load. I know, 17.0 is low, but I'm after accuracy and not blazing fast speeds. I will take accuracy over velocity any day of the week. The measured target before bedding was 0.98" center to center. After bedding with the same exact load it was smaller than a dime for 5 rounds at 100 yards. I should have measured, but instead took a picture and considered the load to be what i was looking for. I am including both the before and after.

A properly bedded stock can make a big difference in accuracy even with the same load!

ImageImageImageImage

That is epoxy on the dime. My 6 year old daughter helped me and it fell onto the plate full of epoxy a few days earlier.
NRA Life member
19dsniper

Post by 19dsniper »

GregP42 wrote:I would love to see the pics, but photobucket strikes again.
19dsniper wrote:I was having similar problems with mine. I switched to a Boyds stock for the American model. When i called Boyds and spoke with them at the time, they were not sure if it would fit the RARR as it was made for the American. All things considered, it should be the same, just with a shorter barrel. Anyways, i told then i would be their guinea pig. It went together pretty well. I had to do just a little work with some sandpaper in the barrel channel, and i had to create a shim to go under the magazine catch because it was too low in the stock and would not allow the magazine to catch correctly. After that, i installed the V blocks and then bedded the rifle. I have the before and after pictures. The before target is 17.0 grains of H110 with a 110 Varmageddon bullet. The after is the same exact load. I know, 17.0 is low, but I'm after accuracy and not blazing fast speeds. I will take accuracy over velocity any day of the week. The measured target before bedding was 0.98" center to center. After bedding with the same exact load it was smaller than a dime for 5 rounds at 100 yards. I should have measured, but instead took a picture and considered the load to be what i was looking for. I am including both the before and after.

A properly bedded stock can make a big difference in accuracy even with the same load!

ImageImageImageImage

That is epoxy on the dime. My 6 year old daughter helped me and it fell onto the plate full of epoxy a few days earlier.

Crap, I see what its doing. I wasn't aware of all this stuff going on with them until now. I don't post much until recently.
Does anyone recommend another free 3rd party host for images that works on here? If i can get one, i will re-upload the photos on here and other pages here on 300BlkTalk.
Tooreal

Post by Tooreal »

I would Love to see the finished product you built. And the targets after Glass bedding and pillar blocking that stock..

I Hate popoobucket they want to charge Each of us $400 per year to Host pictures and videos. That's why you're pictures aren't showing up now.

I just went with imgur, they are Free and works Great too...
19dsniper

Post by 19dsniper »

Tooreal wrote:I would Love to see the finished product you built. And the targets after Glass bedding and pillar blocking that stock..

I Hate popoobucket they want to charge Each of us $400 per year to Host pictures and videos. That's why you're pictures aren't showing up now.

I just went with imgur, they are Free and works Great too...
Ok, I deleted the uploads with photobomb and went with imgur. Im not sure why it would let me load the large pic of the rifle but not full size pics of the targets. Im not good with computers and it took me a while to get the images loaded correctly. I don't want to thread hijack, so if someone knows what I'm screwing up, feel free to PM me.

Anyways, i am going to take this same rifle back out in a few days after this hurricane leaves and try some other loads.
Im not sure if anyone has played with torque settings on different stocks, but i may play with the torque settings and see what it does. I don't expect to get any better with this load of 110 Varmageddon, but maybe with subs or the 125 TRex.
SFZX

Post by SFZX »

This is a great thread. I'm in the same spot right now. Ordered a thumbhole stock for the RARR 300BLK. Groups got better but would still like to bedd the action. So how did you handle the rearmost V-block since it just kind of hangs out in the open on one side.
19dsniper

Post by 19dsniper »

SFZX wrote:This is a great thread. I'm in the same spot right now. Ordered a thumbhole stock for the RARR 300BLK. Groups got better but would still like to bedd the action. So how did you handle the rearmost V-block since it just kind of hangs out in the open on one side.

I used a few pieces of tape to create a dam, and then plumbers putty as a backer to get it as squared off as i could. Then i filled the void, pressed in the V block, and immediately cleaned up any epoxy that was inside the threading. Before ever starting, i thoroughly covered the threads with release agent, and then continued with a whole handful of Qtips to clean the threads immediately after setting it in place. Then i coated the threads with oil to slow the cure of anything that was missed. As soon as it was set up, i used my clean, and well lubed bolt to run in and out of the threads a few times to clean out any missed epoxy.

I stopped taking pictures at this point because it was getting too messy to try to take pictures and also focus on what i was doing. In the end, i actually added that dam of clay and added more epoxy than needed without going overboard. Once everything was pressed together and any extra squeeze was cleaned up, i took a Dremel and an exact-o and cleaned up anything that needed to be touched up a little.