remington 700 lite primer strikes

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: remington 700 lite primer strikes

Post by SwampDog_13 »

wildfowler wrote:
SwampDog_13 wrote:
You're using your gauge the correct way and as far as I'm reading have a complete grasp of its uses. They work great for how you are using them for resized brass. The issue is that once a piece of brass has been fire formed it shouldn't even be able to fit into the gauge anymore. The case body, neck, and shoulder should have all expanded to the point that they would no longer fit in a minimum spec chamber. Therefore not being able to slide all the way down into the gauge.
The instructions say to use a fired brass in the Wilson gauge. I am fairly certain these Wilson gauges have oversized bore dimensions to allow a fired case to also fit.

I am also fairly certain that the Wilson gauges are NOT intended to be used as a "loaded cartridge gauge" like some of the pistol gauges are. There was some discussion regarding this issue many years ago when 300 BLK TALK was brand new and the Wilson gauge was the only gauge on the market.
And there you go, I learn something new everyday. I ASSUMED the Wilson was just like the Sheridan, and I got the typical results of an assumption :mrgreen:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

SwampDog_13 wrote:
wildfowler wrote:
SwampDog_13 wrote:
You're using your gauge the correct way and as far as I'm reading have a complete grasp of its uses. They work great for how you are using them for resized brass. The issue is that once a piece of brass has been fire formed it shouldn't even be able to fit into the gauge anymore. The case body, neck, and shoulder should have all expanded to the point that they would no longer fit in a minimum spec chamber. Therefore not being able to slide all the way down into the gauge.
The instructions say to use a fired brass in the Wilson gauge. I am fairly certain these Wilson gauges have oversized bore dimensions to allow a fired case to also fit.

I am also fairly certain that the Wilson gauges are NOT intended to be used as a "loaded cartridge gauge" like some of the pistol gauges are. There was some discussion regarding this issue many years ago when 300 BLK TALK was brand new and the Wilson gauge was the only gauge on the market.
And there you go, I learn something new everyday. I ASSUMED the Wilson was just like the Sheridan, and I got the typical results of an assumption :mrgreen:
And to add insult to injury, a lot of times a piece of brass fired in a bolt action, with a subsonic load will still fit in a Sheridan gauge. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
sniper81
Silent Operator

Post by sniper81 »

can i get by with just buying the Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gauge 5 Bushing Set with Comparator, and i have been talking with a buddy of mine who has the same rifle, he was telling me that he used cci primers for a little bit experienced the same problem, switched to winchester primers, hasnt had a lite strike since, so this weekend im going to pick up some winchester primers to try out
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

sniper81 wrote:can i get by with just buying the Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gauge 5 Bushing Set with Comparator, and i have been talking with a buddy of mine who has the same rifle, he was telling me that he used cci primers for a little bit experienced the same problem, switched to winchester primers, hasnt had a lite strike since, so this weekend im going to pick up some winchester primers to try out
Yes, this is all you would need for use with your caliper.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/47970 ... comparator
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
sniper81
Silent Operator

Post by sniper81 »

here is a short video on hornady web site about the gauge im using, im going to load a dummy round and try it in the gauge see if it drops in
https://youtu.be/4bj6bGO_n8c
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

sniper81 wrote:here is a short video on hornady web site about the gauge im using, im going to load a dummy round and try it in the gauge see if it drops in
https://youtu.be/4bj6bGO_n8c
Since that's the tool you have on hand try this:

Take some supersonic fired cases, back off your sizing die until you're re-sized case head he is dead flush with the top of that gauge. I don't know that doing this will 100% guarantee your ability to identify headspace as your issue but if you load your cartridges to the long end of the spec as indicated by your tool and see a reduction in light primer strikes it may point you in the right direction.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
sniper81
Silent Operator

Post by sniper81 »

k ill try that, i got some winchester primers to try as well, and my headspace guage will be here by monday, so hopefully with all this stuff i can get it to fire everytime cause the gun is really accurate with 110,120,125 and 208 grain bullets
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

Keep us posted and in particular let us know if both primers work with the taller headspace setting.
sniper81
Silent Operator

Post by sniper81 »

my gauges came in today but on the back of the package it doesnt list the 300blk out, what one would i use .330 .350 .375 .400 .420 are what i have for bushings
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

sniper81 wrote:my gauges came in today but on the back of the package it doesnt list the 300blk out, what one would i use .330 .350 .375 .400 .420 are what i have for bushings
For headspace use the .350", the datum line is .3512".

here's a SAAMI drawing of a cartridge so you can see where it is. length at .3512" is 1.0707"-1.0818"

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.