remington 700 lite primer strikes

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

sniper81
Silent Operator

remington 700 lite primer strikes

Post by sniper81 »

made some reloads using cci 400 primers and had a couple not fire, unloaded looked at them and the primers were hit but didnt go off so i put them back into the chamber and they fired on the second try, i also shot some magtech factory ammo and it did it on two out of prob 30rnds, anyone else have this problem with their remington and how can i fix it
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: remington 700 lite primer strikes

Post by smustian »

Check the ammo for primers that are sitting a little high. Sounds like the first firing attempt set the primer to the proper depth and the second try fired them.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

If you are full length sizing, check your shoulder bump. You may be to far back. A headspace problem like this will cause the issue you are describing.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
ncbowhnter
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncbowhnter »

Have same problem. Doesn't matter what type of ammo I use.
Switched trigger, changed firing pin assembly, I'm sure there are a few others that I've done but I can't remember them all. The new firing pin assembly seems to help a lot but I still have a few light strikes.
It doesn't do it if I feed the round directly, one at a time. But if I load a few in the mag, it will still do it. It's a shame it does it too, cause it's stupid accurate.
sniper81
Silent Operator

Post by sniper81 »

well that sucks cause i was going to use the gun for a hunting rifle, guess i will call remington monday and ask them what they will do
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Very unlikely that the problem is Remington's.

Most likely it is an ammo problem. The shoulder is not set where it needs to be. This has been a very well documented problem with many brands of factory ammo including Remington/Barnes.

You need to measure the the datum line on both fired and failed rounds. This is the only way to know for sure.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
sniper81
Silent Operator

Post by sniper81 »

im somewhat new to reloading so what does (You need to measure the the datum line on both fired and failed rounds) where and what do i need to measure
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

sniper81 wrote:im somewhat new to reloading so what does (You need to measure the the datum line on both fired and failed rounds) where and what do i need to measure
When the round is in the chamber it rests on the shoulder of the brass. The line on the shoulder where it contacts is the datum line. What happens if the case is sized poorly that line is pushed too far back and it allows the cartridge to fall so far down the barrel that the firing pin can't reach it.

You measure this distance with a headspace gauge/comparator. A little lengthy for a phone post but here is a thread that has more info.

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=98475&p=949602&hi ... ce#p949602
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
sniper81
Silent Operator

Post by sniper81 »

which comparator/headspace gauge do you recommend i see lee has one which doesnt look like it attaches to the calipers, then hornady sells a kit that attaches to the calipers
sniper81
Silent Operator

Post by sniper81 »

i ordered the hornady catridge gauge off of midway usa it was on sale for 16 bucks