remington 700 lite primer strikes

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

sniper81
Silent Operator

Re: remington 700 lite primer strikes

Post by sniper81 »

figured it out took 5 readings off of fired cases they ranged from 1.073-1.076 and did the same for the resized brass 1.071-1.072
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

sniper81 wrote:figured it out took 5 readings off of fired cases they ranged from 1.073-1.076 and did the same for the resized brass 1.071-1.072
Try this, take fired brass and measure again. Run your die up and just size the neck. Load empty brass in chamber and close the bolt. If it closes easily, the brass isn't fully fire formed yet. Sometimes it takes a few firings. In that case, clean the neck with 0000 steel wool, load and fire again. Measure again.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

sniper81 wrote:figured it out took 5 readings off of fired cases they ranged from 1.073-1.076 and did the same for the resized brass 1.071-1.072
Pop the primers out before you take the reading. Obviously you don't want to do this with your sizing die if you want to get a comparative reading.

I have found using my comparator gauge that I need to rotate the cases while checking them with the caliper. Doing so seems to uniform the reading I get.

But on face value with what you've posted doesn't sound like headspace is the issue.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
sniper81
Silent Operator

Post by sniper81 »

update on what i thought was a lite primer strike issue with my remington 700, tried different primers all of them fired, tried the same cci primers again and made sure the primers were all the way in and all of them fired so i guess my problem was the primers were not all the way down, i might have some tight pockets on some that i thought the primer was all the way in, so thanks all for the replies on what to check for and do