Cast bullets in ruger 300 bo

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

glockky

Cast bullets in ruger 300 bo

Post by glockky »

I'm looking for a flat nosed cast bullet that will feed in my ruger ranch 300 blackout. I'm looking to stay around 150gr.

My rifle seems to be really picky when feeding a flat nosed bullet. I've castes for years and have several 30 cal molds. None of which want to feed.

I'm hoping someone has some experience with something that's works before I spend any more money on moulds.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cast bullets in ruger 300 bo

Post by GunFunZS »

glockky wrote:I'm looking for a flat nosed cast bullet that will feed in my ruger ranch 300 blackout. I'm looking to stay around 150gr.

My rifle seems to be really picky when feeding a flat nosed bullet. I've castes for years and have several 30 cal molds. None of which want to feed.

I'm hoping someone has some experience with something that's works before I spend any more money on moulds.

You might look through molds designed around the 30-30. I have one of that description based on an old lyman design, that casts out at 182 grains from WW+Lino alloy. I would guess it might be 170 with straight Lino. They hand cycle fine, but I haven't run them in 300 BO yet.

If you are interested, maybe I could mail you enough to do a test.
lawboy
Silent Operator

Post by lawboy »

Weight is somewhat alloy dependent, but I use a Lyman #31141 (also known as 311041). My alloy, which is a little heavier that Lyman #2, drops them at 183 grains.
I shoot them over 15.5grs IMR4227. As GunsFunZS said, this is a bullet designed for the 30-30/30WCF.
I also shoot the Lee 155gr (160 with my alloy) roundnose design over 16.7 grains IMR4227.
I am shooting these through a Remington/AAC Micro 7.
My friend has used the same bullets with his own recipes through his RARR with success.
We were using the guns for a cast bullet silhouette match where we shoot out to 200 meters on full size NRA silhouette targets. The rams are 59lbs and set at 200 meters.
The 183gr Lyman bullets starting at 1800fps are 95% or better on the rams. As long as the rams are not hard set and there is no tail wind on the rams, they go down.
the 160gr Lee bullet will leave rams standing more often.
Nevertheless, I won the season shooting the Micro 7.
This year we both have built 308 Winchester rifles for a little more power at the Ram line. I am using a Saeco #311 185gr bullet at 1930fps out of the Tikka T3x 308.
I have also used a CZ527 Carbine in 7.62x39 with excellent success in this game. I used the Saeco bullet in this rifle as well.
Regards.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Pretty sure that's my mold number. I got a 6 cav plain base version from someone on ebay who clearly had Lee do a custom run.

It shoots well in the other 30 cal stuff I have tried, and is pretty consistent for weight and diameter. Sizing from 312 to 309 is easy enough and leaves clean looking bullets.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

lawboy wrote:Weight is somewhat alloy dependent, but I use a Lyman #31141 (also known as 311041). My alloy, which is a little heavier that Lyman #2, drops them at 183 grains.
I shoot them over 15.5grs IMR4227. As GunsFunZS said, this is a bullet designed for the 30-30/30WCF.
I also shoot the Lee 155gr (160 with my alloy) roundnose design over 16.7 grains IMR4227.
Nice, and thanks for the detail. By any chance have you found a tested reliable charge weight and COAL for AR15 feeding with these?
lawboy
Silent Operator

Post by lawboy »

GunFunZS wrote:
lawboy wrote:Weight is somewhat alloy dependent, but I use a Lyman #31141 (also known as 311041). My alloy, which is a little heavier that Lyman #2, drops them at 183 grains.
Nice, and thanks for the detail. By any chance have you found a tested reliable charge weight and COAL for AR15 feeding with these?
I have two AR15s in 300 blackout. I have not tried to feed them cast bullets. In fact, I rarely shoot the AR15s. I just have not worked with them beyond working up jacketed loads for lightweight bullets up to 150gr bullets. Then I kind of put them away. The bolt guns are just more fun for my type of shooting.
glockky

Post by glockky »

I ended up going with the mihec 308 hunting bullet. It's weighs right at 150gr and shot really good the first time out. I think I need to bump the charge up a little more. This group was shot at 100yds. 1" dot for reference.

This was shot using 20.5gr A1680. What's strange is this bullet will feed from the magazine with 2,3, or 4 rounds in the mag but not with 5. And won't feed the last round from the magazine.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

glockky wrote:I ended up going with the mihec 308 hunting bullet. It's weighs right at 150gr and shot really good the first time out. I think I need to bump the charge up a little more. This group was shot at 100yds. 1" dot for reference.

This was shot using 20.5gr A1680. What's strange is this bullet will feed from the magazine with 2,3, or 4 rounds in the mag but not with 5. And won't feed the last round from the magazine.
That is diagnosable. Most likely the ogive of the bullet is hitting either guide ribs or the floor plate of the magazine. It could also be increased drag off of a rough follower. That can cause a cartridge to nose dive or tip up. Although tip up would happen more sometimes on other rounds too, since that is usually caused by rim drag on rough sheared feed lips. That gun uses AR mags, doesn't it?

Stuff the mag full and put the gun in a vice. Mark the angle of the top cartridge in the receiver, and cycle the bolt fast to the rear. Does the next shell pop to the same angle all the way through the mag? I bet not. Then try to swiftly do the first ~1/3 of forward bolt travel, and pause. Where is the tip of the bullet now? This is where the vice and a camera phone on high framerate video record help a lot. The vice holds the gun in shot for comparison, and in your light source. The camera sees stuff your eyes can't easily.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Oh and great group. That must be satisfying.