scope fun...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

scope fun...

Post by GTO Kroh »

Ok guys.....what kind of tom fullery is this?

Took the 700 out today to go get some groups... sighting it in I had the scope adjusted the whole way up and it was still shooting 2" low..

checked everything and it looked good...

so I had another rifle with me pulled the scope and again all the way up 2" low

2 scopes completely different scope bases one was 2 piece rings and 1 was a 1 piece base

this is all at at 100yds

I have a weaver 439 pic rail on the top of the 700.

these are all subsonic loads about 900fps 208 gr

they cant really be dropping that bad at 100 yds that I run out of adjustment can they??
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: scope fun...

Post by smustian »

What 2 scopes did you use?
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTO Kroh »

smustian wrote:What 2 scopes did you use?
vortex crossfire II 6-24 x 50
and a center point 4-16 x 40
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

With 2 different ring/scope combos doing the same then sounds like you have a problem with your weaver base.

Remington 700's are famous for having the rear mount surface a little lower than the front. If you do not bed the rear portion of the base the aluminum will flex when you tighten the mount screws. The flex causes the rings to be out of alignment.

Another thing to check for is the cross bolt on the rings fits all the way down into the slot. I have had to file pic slots before to open the slot so the cross bolt would seat down fully. Leave the forward surface of the slot alone. File the rear portion only.

Just guessing here.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

That was the trade off for getting the correct twist :lol:

Kind of depends on a lot of things. A 208 Amax will have about a foot of drop at 100 with a 25 yard zero. A 20 MOA rail is almost a must for subs.

If you used all four mounting screws for the rail it's not backwards.

Weaver rails are not always picatinny compatible, so make sure the ring is resting on the rail.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
triehl27
Silent Operator

Post by triehl27 »

I've run into this with Weaver before in both my 700 .308, and my Savage .300blk.

It's one reason I will only run the Weaver 1 piece rails IF I HAVE TO. Otherwise, I run something better for precision work.

My guess is it's a rail problem. Being a Rem 700 you have a plethora of options. EGW is one I like that is sturdy, stiff, and relatively inexpensive even though it's aluminum
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTO Kroh »

smustian wrote:With 2 different ring/scope combos doing the same then sounds like you have a problem with your weaver base.

Remington 700's are famous for having the rear mount surface a little lower than the front. If you do not bed the rear portion of the base the aluminum will flex when you tighten the mount screws. The flex causes the rings to be out of alignment.

Another thing to check for is the cross bolt on the rings fits all the way down into the slot. I have had to file pic slots before to open the slot so the cross bolt would seat down fully. Leave the forward surface of the slot alone. File the rear portion only.

Just guessing here.
Thanks smus. Its bedded. I always clean everything with 99% rubbing alcohol and use red loctite to bed the mount and blue loctite on the bolts.... (video coming soon on that process on my channel actually) it may have been that way the whole time with the last 700 but I never noticed cause I was running that ATN x-sight II on it and the amount of adjustment on that thing is crazy.
Last edited by GTO Kroh on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTO Kroh »

triehl27 wrote:I've run into this with Weaver before in both my 700 .308, and my Savage .300blk.

It's one reason I will only run the Weaver 1 piece rails IF I HAVE TO. Otherwise, I run something better for precision work.

My guess is it's a rail problem. Being a Rem 700 you have a plethora of options. EGW is one I like that is sturdy, stiff, and relatively inexpensive even though it's aluminum
Im thinking its the one piece weaver rail as well. I think I am going to get a better branded one and get the 20moa version just for the extra adjustment
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

Leupold makes a steel 15/20 moa picatinny. I have the 15, no problem with subs at 200 yds. Paid around $50.....nice rail.
GTO Kroh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTO Kroh »

Ok. I am convinced it has nothing you do with the subsonic rounds. And not the scope (since I tried 2) so it's either this rail. Or a screwed up reliever. This is with the scope all the way adjusted up.