Why no stainless steel bolt actions?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Why no stainless steel bolt actions?

Post by tikkablk »

Why is there no factory stainless steel 300 blackout bolt actions other than Kimber Adirondack?.
I hate cleaning guns often and it makes sense to use stainless, you can bead blast it and paint it if you don't like it shine so much. I have no issues with stainless steel accuracy . There's nothing worse than at the end of a wet days hunting is ohh time to clean the gun before the rust settles in and rusts out other barrel.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why no stainless steel bolt actions?

Post by A-Game »

Stainless steel can corrode because "stainless steel" is marketing description of steel. There is no such thing as stainless steel.
Corrosion resistant because of alloys would be a better description.

L1A1 and AK pattern rifles have non "stainless" steel parts that were bead blasted from the factory.

I personally really like the look of the 120 grit bead blasted finish. It's purdy.

I would say cost of mass production is probably the reason. Higher profits due to cheaper steel.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
mr.revolverguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mr.revolverguy »

Kimber makes one in 300 but really expensive.
Self Proclaimed -- The largest independent 300 Blackout reloading database.
http://www.dayattherange.com
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

What A-Game said, plus it is easier to make an action that will be safe and last out of regular carbon steel. What makes stainless steel, is mainly the additional chromium content, which in addition to preventing corrosion, also makes the metal softer and more prone to work hardening. So, "gun" grades of SS use less chromium, and as a result they can still rust as A-Game mentioned. Same reason why grade 5 and 8 bolts are carbon steel instead of stainless; it is difficult and expensive to make high strength fasteners out of SS.

Nowadays we also have nitrocarburizing and baked on coatings, which more or less negate the need for SS, at least from a corrosion standpoint.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

I understand what type of rifle your after.....one that won't rot off your sholder during a bush hunt.
My AR barrel is coated in something modern and black and because of the full length rail never gets cleaned so I can say that the coating are better now than blued guns.
However I did have a M2 benelli barrel that would actually rust as you watched it so they're not infallible.

Are you looking to update the tikka?
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

I got two mates wanting stainless 300 blackouts like my custom tikka and don't want to spend the extra cash getting one built or spending $3500 on a Kimber Adirondack just for the rifle. They also don't want a standard steel rifle to much work cleaning the barrel all the time and I spend 100 days in the bush each year, the last thing I want to do back at camp in the dark is cleaning rust out of barrels. I've recked 3 steel barrels guns from not cleaning and oiling on trips in the bush. As for me I'm happy with my rifle I just need a carbon fibre stock now to make it lighter.
F224
Senior Silent Operator

Post by F224 »

Because the manufactures don't see enough potential buyers in the marketplace. You can get lot's of stainless rifles in other, more powerful cartridges, the major builders don't see a sustainable market for a medium to low powered specialty round like the 300BlkOut.
Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

tikkablk wrote:I got two mates wanting stainless 300 blackouts like my custom tikka and don't want to spend the extra cash getting one built or spending $3500 on a Kimber Adirondack just for the rifle. They also don't want a standard steel rifle to much work cleaning the barrel all the time and I spend 100 days in the bush each year, the last thing I want to do back at camp in the dark is cleaning rust out of barrels. I've recked 3 steel barrels guns from not cleaning and oiling on trips in the bush. As for me I'm happy with my rifle I just need a carbon fibre stock now to make it lighter.

Cut down a 308, screw on DPT and pack out the loads with dakron.
I've looked at a bolt gun for subs and I think this will be the avenue I'll go down. I'd like a 300blk in stainless but like you said they're unobtainium.