Thompson Center TC Compass in 300 Blackout - Ruger American Ranch Rifle killer?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300black
Silent Operator

Thompson Center TC Compass in 300 Blackout - Ruger American Ranch Rifle killer?

Post by 300black »

The TC Compass is a gun that's MSRP is $399 so it would be considerably cheaper than the Ruger American Ranch Rifle which is arguably the most popular 300 Blackout bolt action rifle. The RARR's MSRP is $529. Street price for the TC should be about $300, about $75-90 less than the RARR.

It comes standard with a threaded barrel for a suppressor, muzzlebrake, or flashhider, 5 round magazine, and adjustable trigger. It seems very similar to the Ruger American Ranch Rifle. The only problem is that it doesn't come in 300 Blackout with a 16.5" barrel. This seems like the perfect gun to compete with the RARR and is even cheaper. All it needs is the shorter barrel and 300 Blackout caliber. It won the 2016 Guns & Ammo Rifle of the Year award. The 300 Blackout has become extremely popular with high ammo availability now and many people are using suppressors with the 300 Blackout caliber. If HPA (Hearing Protection Act) passes, I could see more and more companies making shorter barreled rifles in 300 Blackout that are suppressor ready.

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/bolt-ac ... -c-compass

Why aren't they making this in 300 Blackout with a 16.5" barrel?

Anyone know if TC is considering coming out with it this rifle in 300 Blackout with a 16.5" barrel? (Maybe they are already working on it.)
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thompson Center TC Compass in 300 Blackout - Ruger American Ranch Rifle killer?

Post by TMD »

That same wishful thinking could be said about every other manufacturer. Savage, Marlin, Mossberg, and Remington just to name a few. As for G&A's rifle of the year, its amazing what advertising dollars can buy.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thompson Center TC Compass in 300 Blackout - Ruger American Ranch Rifle killer?

Post by DutchV »

Drop them a note and see what they say. Who knows? Maybe total sales for 300 Blackout bolt guns haven't been all that great compared to the calibers they're already offering. Or maybe they've got one "coming soon". (That'd be the third oldest lie in the world.) Gun makers are a real mystery some times. I sure don't know.

And if you really want a T/C, grab one of their Dimension switch-barrel rifles in .223. Getting a spare barrel made would be easy, since it's already a quick-detach style. It'd add about the same cost as a re-barrel but you'd have both calibers.

You might have to wait a long time to get a better deal than the Ruger. Maybe save your Cabela's points to bring the cost down?
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It's my understanding that the guys from Savage that were working on their version got pissed and moved to Mossberg to get theirs started. With all the success that Mossberg had, the crew decided that they would help out TC with their design.

Rumors are already circulating that TC will release their bolt action about six months after Mossberg, who will release theirs six month after Savage.

Patience and disappointment are a virtue and reality when expecting new products with this cartridge still. :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

300black you only have 8 posts on this forum and two of them are threads started bashing the Ruger. Not sure what your point is but the Ruger is extremely popular on here and doubtful you'll get any sympathy. Several times now you've commented about value priced .300bo bolt guns and several times its been answered that the Ruger is currently the only one on the market with a sub $400 price point and all the rest start at almost double the price. Maybe after the shot show some other manufacturers will introduce an entry bolt gun in 300 but for now it is what it is.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

And certainly you can believe everything that you hear coming from the SHOT show. All of those new products are just stacked in the warehouse, waiting to be shipped. (Ha!)

Reality is that a lot of the products are mockups or custom one-offs to see the reactions and to help decide if anyone will buy them. Or maybe they're looking for funding, since everyone in the industry will be there. Lots of SHOT show products never make it to market.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

TMD wrote:300black you only have 8 posts on this forum and two of them are threads started bashing the Ruger. Not sure what your point is but the Ruger is extremely popular on here and doubtful you'll get any sympathy. Several times now you've commented about value priced .300bo bolt guns and several times its been answered that the Ruger is currently the only one on the market with a sub $400 price point and all the rest start at almost double the price. Maybe after the shot show some other manufacturers will introduce an entry bolt gun in 300 but for now it is what it is.

I'm researching buying a bolt action 300 Blackout. I want to do a thorough job and don't want to buy a gun that has issues. I've read about RARR's having light primer strikes, stock issues, magazine feed issues. These are all valid concerns when buying a gun. Just because a gun is low cost doesn't mean I'm willing to just purchase it.

I also recently looked into the CZ and apparently they are coming out with one in 300 BO. However, that CZ rifle that is similar also appears to have issues, so that could bleed into the 300 BO model having issues.

So, I'm looking at all the options. I want to buy a gun this summer. If TC comes out with a Compass in 300 BO with the shorter barrel that could be a good option. And I'm open to all options that work well and don't have issues.

There is nothing wrong with doing proper research before making an expensive gun purchase. You would be irresponsible not to. No one is looking for sympathy. However, “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”.

If nothing comes out before the summer I will most likely be buying an RARR.

*** Also, if TC comes out with a Compass in 300 BO with a 16.5" barrel you might find another gun to add to your collection that you didn't know about. And there's never anything wrong with finding a new gun to add!
Last edited by 300black on Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

DutchV wrote:And certainly you can believe everything that you hear coming from the SHOT show. All of those new products are just stacked in the warehouse, waiting to be shipped. (Ha!)

Reality is that a lot of the products are mockups or custom one-offs to see the reactions and to help decide if anyone will buy them. Or maybe they're looking for funding, since everyone in the industry will be there. Lots of SHOT show products never make it to market.

The TC Compass has been on the market for awhile. I was just stating that if they made one in 300 BO caliber it would be great. They seem to make it in everything else. 10 other calibers.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

Got this reply from TC today. I wondering if they already thought of this and will be unveiling it at SHOT Show.

Any new calibers we will be announced for 2017 at this year's SHOT show, but as far as future offerings of calibers I will get this passed along so it can be considered for the future.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

dellet wrote:It's my understanding that the guys from Savage that were working on their version got pissed and moved to Mossberg to get theirs started. With all the success that Mossberg had, the crew decided that they would help out TC with their design.

Rumors are already circulating that TC will release their bolt action about six months after Mossberg, who will release theirs six month after Savage.

Patience and disappointment are a virtue and reality when expecting new products with this cartridge still. :mrgreen:
I heard a rumour that those manufacturers will be making 300 Blackout bolt guns on the 12th. of Never!
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D