What's the best 300 Blackout Bolt-Action Rifle and what's the best value priced 300 Blackout Bolt-Action Rifle?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

iplaywithnoshoes

Re: What's the best 300 Blackout Bolt-Action Rifle and what's the best value priced 300 Blackout Bolt-Action Rifle?

Post by iplaywithnoshoes »

I own a RARR and have experienced sub MOA with both factory and handloaded 150gr supersonics as well as cast subs between 208-220gr. All that in a rifle that weighs less than 6lbs (heavy scope) and set me back $350. You'd be hard pressed to find something in that price range which will stabilize almost anything you feed it. My friend and I bought matching RARRs the same week (his is in 5.56/.223) and our targets look nearly identical off the bench. I would say that the previous issues from a year or two ago concerned excessive headspace, a simple process issue that has probably been solved long ago. Ruger has plenty of competent manufacturing/process/quality engineers.

In short, one of the best purchases I have made and a great platform for load development. :mrgreen:

shoe
Last edited by iplaywithnoshoes on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Coyle
Silent Operator

Re: What's the best 300 Blackout Bolt-Action Rifle and what's the best value priced 300 Blackout Bolt-Action Rifle?

Post by Rich Coyle »

In order to be value priced the fire arm needs to function. Rugers don't.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

TMD wrote:
300black wrote:
A-Game wrote:The best rifle would be the one you have built by a precision rifle maker.

I am friends with a few individuals who can perform such work for you.

I think the answer to your question depends on what you find important in a rifle.
A manufacturer may have strengths in those areas where another one does not.
I personally like a magazine fed rifle because I want to shoot more than 4-5 rounds.
Aics mags allow you freedom in bullet length if you reload. GI mags will limit you to AR-15 lengths.
Are you looking for a basic rifle, a blue printed rifle with a custom stock, or a rifle going in an aluminum chasis?
I don't think you need to pay over 2K for any rifle you choose. That can give you a very high quality rifle.
Some people hate Remington but they are like Glocks. You can find almost any aftermarket part for them that you want easily.

Just a plain bolt action. Something like the RARR but less problematic. I actually don't like magazines in a bolt action. It's just something to get lost. I like a regular bolt action with a floorplate.

And I wanted to see what the best one also was. If it uses magazines that's ok.
Seems you keep asking which bolt gun is value priced but ignore what people are saying. The Ruger is the only value priced one. The rest of the factory guns priced start at almost double the Ruger

There appear to be conflicting opinions on it, like the one below.

Rich Coyle wrote:In order to be value priced the fire arm needs to function. Rugers don't.
widow

Post by widow »

I love my Ruger also I have not had any of the problems people talk about I did do a trigger job made it lighter and took creep out. O ya and it shoots great just a very pleasing rifle I highly recommend one. Widow
Max713
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Max713 »

Rich Coyle wrote:In order to be value priced the fire arm needs to function. Rugers don't.
:roll:
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Funny, I put about 2k trouble free rounds through mine without an issue.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

When my rarr was brand new it didn't like feeding the first round out of a full magazine for some reason but that seemed to have fixed itself within the first 25-50 rounds if I remember correctly. It has never had a single failure to fire but it has also never chambered a factory loaded round. The stock is flimsy but I knew that going in and was one of the first issues I addressed after the initial purchase. The stock trigger adjustment was more than enough for me to be satisfied with it.

I've got less in my rifle and optic than you could buy the 700 for and I'd put it on the bench beside a 700 any day. At sub $400.00 I couldn't imagine a better rifle. It has regularly left one ragged hole at 100yds with 5 round groups. I know experiences vary but that is mine.

Max713
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Max713 »

SwampDog_13 wrote:When my rarr was brand new it didn't like feeding the first round out of a full magazine for some reason but that seemed to have fixed itself within the first 25-50 rounds if I remember correctly.
Mine had the same issue, a very quick google search and I learned that taking some fine grit sandpaper to inside the lips of the magazine resolved this.
Barely touched the sandpaper to it, and the problem is gone, can't even tell by looking at the mags.

Hundreds of flawless rounds later, it remains one of my favorite rifles.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

2bad4u2 wrote:I think the upcoming CZ introduction is an interesting option and likely well worth the money. I'll own one in 7.62x39mm one day.
I have one in 7.62x39, and if I had it to do again I would get a Savage instead.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

The only other rifle in the same price range as the Ruger is the CVA Scout or Hunter. As a single shot, they certainly won't have magazine issues. And the Bergara barrels are supposed to be very good. The 300 Blackout models have threaded muzzles, too.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.