Thoughts on PSA uppers

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Mr. Chitlin

Thoughts on PSA uppers

Post by Mr. Chitlin »

I have searched and really haven't found any info pertaining to the subject.

I see that PSA runs 16" pistol gas system uppers for $300 or a little less every once in a while.

They had this one recently:

Barrel Length: 16"
Gas System: Pistol Length
Barrel Profile: A2 Style
Barrel Steel: 4150V Chrome Moly Vanadium
Barrel Finish: Nitride
Chrome Lining: None
Muzzle Thread: 5/8-24
Chamber: 300 AAC Blackout
Twist Rate: 1 in 8"
Barrel Extension: M4
Diameter at Gas Block: .750"
Gas Block Type: Low-profile
Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider
Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
Receiver Type: M4
Hand guard Type: PSA 13.5" Anodized Keymod Rail
Bolt Carrier Group Included: No
Bolt Steel: N/A
Bolt Carrier Profile: N/A
Charging Handle included: No
Overall Length: 24.5"

Would this do fine for general range blasting and short range hunting, under 200 yards?

The 300BO is a new cartridge for me so I'm just trying to make sure that what I get will do what I want. I am just wanting something else to reload and play with. I have uppers in 223, 450BM, 7.62x39 and 6.8. This will just be another caliber to play with at the range mostly and hunt with a little.

If there's a better route point me in the right direction. I have an upper that's ready to have a barrel thrown on it but it seems like the PSA can be bought complete for less than I can buy the parts for. I'd need the barrel, gas system and handguards. BCG and CH are no problem as I have spares.

The main thing was wondering about the quality of the 300BO PSA uppers and this particular twist and gas system.

Thanks for any info.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thoughts on PSA uppers

Post by Sig220 »

I can't speak specifically to the PSA 300 BO upper, but I have bought a 223 upper from them before and I am happy with it.

Before you pull the trigger, check Primary Arms website they have a "Radical Firearms" 300 upper with 16 inch barrel/pistol gas without
charging handle or bolt/carrier for $199.99. I have pondered buying one for giggles, but have not pulled the trigger, yet

http://www.primaryarms.com/radical-fire ... -300-12fgs

Good Luck whichever way you go!
Larry B
Silent But Deadly

Post by Larry B »

I have 2 PSA guns. Stripped lowers built with PSA lower kits and complete uppers. I have no complaints with my PSA guns.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

So long as they don't have to be relied on to install an FSB, PSA uppers are usually pretty good. 1:8 could limit your heavy projectiles though, might want to poke around the forum a bit and see if that'll work if you plan on shooting 220s and such.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I've been satisfied with uppers and parts I've bought from PSA, haven't had a problem with anything.

Shipping times varies; some stuff I've got in two days, some things two weeks. I think when they run a special they get behind at times.
Mr. Chitlin

Post by Mr. Chitlin »

At this time I have no intention of using subs. I have thousands of 125-150 grain 30 cal bullets and a big jug of H110 (which looks like a good powder from what I've read so far).

That Radical upper for $199 looks like a great deal too.

I did some research on it last night watching Youtube vids. Seems like I either read or heard that the Radical upper was a carbine gas system vs the pistol gas system in the PSA.

Should that be of any concern? Seems like there's a lot of talk about pistol length gas systems.
DoubleJ wrote:So long as they don't have to be relied on to install an FSB, PSA uppers are usually pretty good. 1:8 could limit your heavy projectiles though, might want to poke around the forum a bit and see if that'll work if you plan on shooting 220s and such.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Another with no PSA problems. I already had a PSA 5.56 upper and a PSA 300BLK 8" bbl. Just received my PSA 10.5" CHF chrome lined CMV 300BLK upper an hour ago. Looks fine to me.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

Their LPK's are pretty good, and I've only ever had one disconnector not function right, out of the package (I've used a lot of them). The trigger group that came with that faulty disconnector had the best polish I've seen in a LPK without an up-charge for it. Had I used a set screw to reduce the creep, after reducing the hammer spring tension from 10#, that trigger would've been nice (better than ok, and likely approaching good). I've had a PSA SS CHF barrel (5.56) that wasn't super accurate, but I also hadn't worked up a load for it and shot it with a red-dot - can't really blame the barrel for that.

I have heard they're cutting costs with the "Freedom" line of products. Not sure how or to what detriment, but their pricing would reflect some corners had been cut to get there.

Shipping has been hit and miss for the past 4 years. Sometimes, even when promptly shipping, they don't have any communication and their site info is wrong. Had that happen just prior to the Black Friday blitz last month. My stuff came in 7 days (very acceptable), but their site hadn't acknowledged it'd ever been sent.

I'll keep buying stuff from them. The deals are often hard to pass up, and quality has been good for me.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Mr. Chitlin wrote:At this time I have no intention of using subs. I have thousands of 125-150 grain 30 cal bullets and a big jug of H110 (which looks like a good powder from what I've read so far).

That Radical upper for $199 looks like a great deal too.

I did some research on it last night watching Youtube vids. Seems like I either read or heard that the Radical upper was a carbine gas system vs the pistol gas system in the PSA.

Should that be of any concern? Seems like there's a lot of talk about pistol length gas systems.
DoubleJ wrote:So long as they don't have to be relied on to install an FSB, PSA uppers are usually pretty good. 1:8 could limit your heavy projectiles though, might want to poke around the forum a bit and see if that'll work if you plan on shooting 220s and such.
According to the add on Primary Arms, the Radical upper is pistol gas. Ironically, that is why I have not pursued one as of yet....all of my experience is with a carbine gas upper shooting supers....as I don't have any long range plans to go to subs....I like em fast!! Recently reached my peak loads with 296/110, now playing with MP-300 again. :lol: Your money, your upper, your call...... :lol: If all else is the same, I would probably go Primary as I hear their customer service is great and they are only about a 2 hour drive for me!
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

PSA has been good for me. I've got a 10.5" 5.56 upper of theirs that has been great. I especially like the FN CHF barrel. Don't get excited if the shipping takes a little while. They'll get it to you.

I've heard some spotty things about Radical, so I'm in no rush to try any of their stuff. Maybe they'll improve.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.