My first steps into the 300

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Teddydog

My first steps into the 300

Post by Teddydog »

I posted about my 300 BLK AR pistol build on that Arf site, but thought maybe I should introduce it here.

(the upper doesn't look plum in person)

Lower: Anderson Manufacturing (from my inventory)
LPK: Brownells
Trigger: from my parts stash, with Wolf reduced power trigger spring kit
Grip: MOE +
Buffer tube: generic w 3.7 oz buffer

Upper: Anderson Manufacturing
Barrel: 10" Ballistic Advantage
BCG: borrowed from my Bushmaster for now
Gas block: Aero lo-pro
Handguard: 9" generic free-float w/ M-Lok slots
Muzzle: KAK Flash Can

Sighting: who needs sights? The mighty 300 can't miss! Actually will start with a Tru Glo reflex sight I have and see how that goes.

While not a specific goal to be as cheap as possible, I did start due to the availability of inexpensive parts to put the kit together. The parts I had to purchase ran about $290 to my door and the value of the "on hand" parts is about $115, plus it will need its own BCG at about $95, bringing the total to $500. With the Tru Glo, about $570.

Took it to the range today and shooting it was a hoot! First time I've fired an AR pistol and it was a little unusual. At first I was hesitant to try a "cheek weld" hold, but once I did it really felt more natural. Even without, though, I was pretty pleased with how it shot. This was not a full work up, but rather a quick test run. No malfunctions at all using 3 different mags: 10 round PMag; 20 round alum; 30 round Lancer. None were fully loaded, though (range rules and lack of ammo). Bolt held open on every empty mag.

As mentioned, I mounted a Tru Glo reflex sight and it was good to go. I used a laser bore site to get closely adjusted before firing the first round and it paid off. I had two types of ammo with me, but only one box of each (I thought I had grabbed two boxes of the supersonic, but didn't). I fired all 20 of the UMC 120 gr Supersonics and just 2 of the Rem High Performance 220 gr Subsonic loads.

At 25 yards, 5 shots of Supersonics were holding under 1.5 inches. The target below shows the first sighting rounds about 2" right of the center. Then I adjusted the sight the wrong way and fired the rounds way right. Then I came back the right way and put one just a little high and right, then finally adjusted into the center and fired the other 5 rounds (I think it is actually 6).

(ignore the big holes...I was also shooting a 44-40 lever rifle)

At 50 yards, groups were about 2.5 inches and substantially high (3 - 4") and a little right compared to 25 yards.

The 2 Subsonics were fired at 25 yards at the end of the session, just to see what they would do: side by side almost touching and about 4 inches low. Very cool lack of noise and recoil, though.

Should be fun to work it out some more! Received 300 formed cases last week and dies and bullets will be here tomorrow. Also have some boxes of the S&B factory ammo inbound. Any and all comments are welcome!

(oh, and I put in a Form 1 to make an SBR on another receiver for later)

Rob
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: My first steps into the 300

Post by BlogSarge »

Welcome to the club, Rob.

Good thing you started with a budget build. You saved $$ for your next, inevitable 300blk project!
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

Nice build for the money and welcome.

I cant help but to ask, at a gun range they wont allow 30rnd magazines loaded to capacity?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
Doc S

Post by Doc S »

steven11b wrote:Nice build for the money and welcome.

I cant help but to ask, at a gun range they wont allow 30rnd magazines loaded to capacity?
The range I use in Kenmore, WA only allows single-load unless you're shooting rimfire. Then you can load 5 rounds. Unlike the shorter-distance indoor range I go to shoot my pistols, which lets you do full mag dumps as long as you're hitting the target. I think a lot of clubs have gone to single-shot-only for liability and public perspective reasons.

Awesome looking pistol - you'll have a ball with it. Just need a can and some subsonics (I'm waiting for mine).
"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

steven11b wrote:Nice build for the money and welcome.

lots of public ranges have magazine loading rules. there's a couple of them around here. one limits to 5 rounds, and another that (during sight in days close to deer season) only allows single loading for all firearms (except rimfires)

however i find that both of these locations are fine with those rules being bent as long as they see you're obeying the 3 second rule and all your shots are on target.

i find that consistently printing good groups goes a long way towards the RSO being lenient on things like this.

or doing silly stuff like trying to shoot 5 shot groups with subsonics at 200 yds into a business card :mrgreen:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Teddydog

Post by Teddydog »

Yeah, only 5 in the mag for centerfire or 10 for rimfire. On the rifle range, all shooting must be from the bench. Makes it hard to want to shoot blackpowder there...can't see myself shooting my Brown Bess flintlock from the bench.

Range rules suck sometimes, but the range being very close to work is handy.

Loaded up 5 iterations of "cheap" loads with 150 gr M2 FMJs and H110 for the next range trip. And a few with 110 gr "carbine" bullets to try, too.

Rob