Cmwiggen

Re: Custom Barrel - Just to ask

Post by Cmwiggen »

What groove count did u get?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Cmwiggen wrote:What groove count did u get?
I think the only choice right now for 1/6 is a six grove. Email or call, their customer service is very good.

I think the 1/7 and maybe a 1/10 is all they have on .308 5R.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Cmwiggen

Post by Cmwiggen »

dellet, thanks for the info. Just to make sure just because I will be spending a lot of money on this. Even if I do some supersonic 110 Barnes black tip, both sub and supper will perform well with a 1:6 twist. I am tempted to stay with the 1:7 but I saw your target in the subsonic shooting thread. I just want to try to get the best twist rate for subs that still offers sub moa possibility for suppers.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Cmwiggen wrote:dellet, thanks for the info. Just to make sure just because I will be spending a lot of money on this. Even if I do some supersonic 110 Barnes black tip, both sub and supper will perform well with a 1:6 twist. I am tempted to stay with the 1:7 but I saw your target in the subsonic shooting thread. I just want to try to get the best twist rate for subs that still offers sub moa possibility for suppers.
This was Remington UMC 120's at 200 yards from a 1/6 barrel. I pulled the one on the left. The other five shots measure 1.360" outside to outside.

Here's another target group at 50, 100, 200 shot with the same ammo. Hand loads work a little better.

Cmwiggen

Post by Cmwiggen »

wow that is impressive, what length barrel are you using and what is your best target for subsonics at 200?

Thanks again, definitely doing 1:6
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Cmwiggen wrote:wow that is impressive, what length barrel are you using and what is your best target for subsonics at 200?

Thanks again, definitely doing 1:6
Have not given subs a serious go that far yet. Shot some clays at 200 out of a 7" barrel and had hits about one out of four, 8" gong was about three of five. Put up a poster board and had a vertical string about 16-18 inches long using a 1X6 optic. That will be next up in the long sub thread, I have really only shot subs seriously for about a year and still learning what it takes to go past 50-100.

The target above with the distances noted was a 7" barrel with an 3X Acog. The other target was a longer barrel with higher magnification.
Cmwiggen

Post by Cmwiggen »

Interesting, i just looked up the Sig MCX and the 16 inch barrel has 1:6 twist but the 9 inch barrel has 1:5 twist. For my 8.5 barrel, I am hesitant to go that tight of a twist if I am going to shoot fast suppers.
Cmwiggen

Post by Cmwiggen »

So I talked to X-Caliber and did the math. I can get either 2 custom barrels from X-Caliber or 3 custom barrels from Bartlein (29 inch blank turned into 3 barrels). I only want 2 so I can sell the third to recoup some of the cost. Both will turn out to be roughly the same amount. The Bartlein will just take a lot longer (4-6 months for Bartlein vs 2-3 months for X-Caliber).

Never had a custom barrel done before and just thought I would ask you guys what you would do. Also to let you know that if I do the Bartlein option, I will have a 3rd barrel up for sale in 6 months (potentially 8-10 inches in length, 1/6 twist, 5R grooves).