What Do You Think of the Eotech Magnifier?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

LittleGun

What Do You Think of the Eotech Magnifier?

Post by LittleGun »

I have an AAC 9" suppressed carbine, with an Eotech holographic weapon sight.

Recently I attended a 3-gun class and a defensive carbine class. In both classes, the gun and the Eotech optic worked perfectly. More importantly for me, they worked as I had envisioned them to work.

Now I'm thinking that a magnifier would be a useful option for taking longer shots. I'd like comments from those who use an Eotech magnifier with an Eotech sight. What are your likes and dislikes about it?
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Re: What Do You Think of the Eotech Magnifier?

Post by IMGrunt »

I'm an EOTech fan but I couldn't justify the cost of their magnifier. Ended up with a Primary Arms magnifier and an American Defense mount. Very happy and just as good as EOTech. Pay attention to the magnifier mount you buy. Makes a big difference depending on how you end up using the magnifier and how you like it on the rifle when you're not using it. Very much a personal preference thing.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I have one and never use it, but yet it makes sense in theory.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

I have a Eotech on my 9" pistol. Bought a used 3x Vortex magnifier with a LaRue mount on ebay for $170... much better bang for the buck. Nice thing about a magnifier in a QD mount is that you can easily pull it off your rifle and use it as a monocular if you want to.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...for the cost of the red dot + mount and the magnifier + mount, a 1-4x thru 1-8x scope with CQB reticle could provide the same capabilities and quite possibly in a lighter package....
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

r.tenorio671 wrote:...for the cost of the red dot + mount and the magnifier + mount, a 1-4x thru 1-8x scope with CQB reticle could provide the same capabilities and quite possibly in a lighter package....

^^^This^^^
I had an Eotec with a Burris 3x magnifier on one of my ar's. Hated it, was heavy and definitely not worth the $. I switched it out for a 1-4 scope and never regretted it.
jryock
Silent But Deadly

Post by jryock »

I also find it hard to justify the cost of their magnifier. If you are set on it, purchase a cheaper competitor to see if you like it; you can always try to return it.

My 9-inch AAC upper wears an EOTech too, but I'm looking to swap it out with a 1-4x or 1-6x to stretch the 300BLK's legs a bit more. I'm having way too much fun with it!
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

300Blk is right, they are awesome in theory. You will use it less than you think and r.tenorio671 is correct that a nice 1x4 will provide the same capabilities. Both the 1x4 and the magnifier kill you on weight compared to a micro rds.

Where a magnifier shines, is with the Aimpoint Quick-detach Twist Mount because you can easily take it off the rifle when you want to save weight and throw it on when you need it. You can keep it with your gear and use in as a monocular when off the rifle. The other major plus is you can use the aimpoint mount for PVS-14 so you can throw on nods when you want them, mounted to your rifle. If you get the second mount for the PVS-14 you now have two bases, allowing you to add the second base to another rifle where you gain the capabilities of magnifier or the PVS-14. It really is an amazing mount and system. With this mount it beats out the 1x4 because you can get rid of the weight when you don't need it.

Without the ability to remove the magnifier (like with a swing mount) I think the added weight is not worth the limited times you will use it.
LittleGun

Post by LittleGun »

Thank you for the comments. There are some interesting points.
I'm going to wait until I take another carbine class to make a decision.
I'll also take a closer look at other magnifiers and mounts at my next gun show.
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

Monoculars are for Pirates :lol: Too heavy....gym membership :mrgreen:
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army