Worth it to try different buffer weights?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Worth it to try different buffer weights?

Post by DoubleJ »

I've just about got my Leonidas running with a cut down Tubb spring and a C buffer. I'll probably remove one more coil for a safety margin and then call it good. Would there be any advantage to upping the buffer weight and continuing with coil removal, or should I just stick with the C buffer? Thanks.

On a side note, the biggest trouble I'm having getting it to cycle is with the new Noveske 220s. I know they've not been out long, but has anyone else noticed them being troublesome? Even my handloaded 190s at around 926 cycle the action just fine, as do most other subsonic factory loads (HSM 208s won't either).
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Worth it to try different buffer weights?

Post by plant.one »

if you're having trouble cycling anyway, adding buffer weight to the system doesnt seem like it would be helpful.

i mean you're removing coils to lessen the resistance right? why add more weight and increase the resistance then? it just seems counter intitive.

i guess i'm coming from the perspective in that all my guns have cycled like they're supposed to with a carbine buffer and spring so i've not had to fix whats not broken already eh?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

My thoughts exactly, just want to make sure I'm not missing something. This is only the second rifle ive had to do spring work on, other one ran a rifle buffer, so I had no weight options.

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

DoubleJ wrote:My thoughts exactly, just want to make sure I'm not missing something. This is only the second rifle ive had to do spring work on, other one ran a rifle buffer, so I had no weight options.
there are cabine weight rifle length buffers out there.

jp makes one
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/re ... 27116.aspx
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

I 86'd the rifle tube and went back to a 6 pos, luckily its the same spring that I'm cutting, so I didn't have to toss a Tubb spring in the garbage.

300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

When I ever see the words "Tubb Spring" that is a huge red flag for me.

"Cut down" spring - man. What a disaster. A spring is designed to strip the first round from a fully loaded mag, and you just destroyed that feature.
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

This is why I never mess with the reciprocating parts in an AR... standard BCG, standard carbine buffer, standard spring...

Even in a 3-Gun rifle.

JW
Guns are tools designed for dirty work both competitive and defensive. If I meet someone with a well worn gun, I hope their barrel is pointed the same direction as mine if the lead starts flying...
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

300Blk wrote:When I ever see the words "Tubb Spring" that is a huge red flag for me.

"Cut down" spring - man. What a disaster. A spring is designed to strip s first round from a fully loaded mag and you just destroyed that.
Tubb springs are designed to be cut, I've spoken to them on a handful of occasions, and was told they don't recommend removing more than 8 coils. I'm at 3.5 right now and I'm close to the rifle functioning properly with subs. Mil springs are noisy, I don't like them. It's said they have a shorter life as well, but I don't shoot enough to be able to verify that.

Post by 1018 »

How's it not running right with subs? What's it doing. Do you run it with supers? How do they run?
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I have been shooting ar15 and m16 rifles and carbines since 1975 and never cut a spring or wore one out . You can make things run the wrong way the same as the right way . Guess which one is gonna bite you on the ass first.