AR upgrades

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

skygod1

Re: AR upgrades

Post by skygod1 »

This is at my local gun shop for $950 http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
What will make it a better system? Or is it smarter for the price to piece one together?
Fast and dangerous
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

I own an MP15T, which is the same rifle as you are talkin about at heart, but includes a quadrail and flip-up Magpul BUIS...its the only AR platform rifle i own that i purchased "off the shelf" instead of building...
I think the S&Ws are extremely well made, and have many great features which are great for a BUDGET rifle...melonite-treated barrel was one feature, and they also had a faster-twist rifling available when i got mine...plus, its literally a factory tack driver with quality ammo...
If you were thinking of getting one of these tho, please look at the M&P Sport...it can be found for less than $600 on sale, and is the same basic rifle that you can upgrade as you see fit -- maybe upgrade trigger, charging handle, add jp silent capture and good quality optic from Vortex or Primary Arms (or splurge for an Aimpoint or Trijicon)...lol...
Here's what i am talkin about: http://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-m- ... black.html

Edit: for the record, i AM recommending the SW series ARs, but NOT for anywhere near $1k...for a grand, you can build a real beast.
Last edited by BadKarmaZeroSix on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

I just see a bunch of stuff that's going to end up in drawers... handguard, detachable carry handle, a-frame, and stock. May suit you just fine but most people will eventually replace all this. I would build.
skygod1 wrote:This is at my local gun shop for $950 http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y
What will make it a better system? Or is it smarter for the price to piece one together?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

6 months ago + that would have been a decent price on that rifle
heres a listing from mid 2013 right in the HEIGHT of the panic for only a couple $ more than what he's offering it for
http://www.slickguns.com/product/smith- ... s-free-940

nowadays you could build a top shelf AR for maybe 250-300 more than that price, which is a lot less than what it'll cost you to upgrade it to such.

a nice free float handguard alone is gonna run ya 150+ not including having to get a low profile gas block. another $50-$75 for a new buttstock, $150+ for a trigger.
and if you go that route you're gonna need a new front site. so add on another $100 there.

i'm not trying to suggest that S&W produces a bad grade of AR - nothing of the sort, i'm just saying the market correction is well under way and that price seems a BIT high for basic throwaway furniture at the very least.

point being for the (approx) $1k price point the external features seem lacking.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
firefuzz
Silent Operator

Post by firefuzz »

farm use wrote:To be honest this is why I built my own to start with, I build it the way I use it and want it. No buying something and wasting the money changing out parts I dont like or use. But to answer your question, depending on the configuration it was bought in, Stock, Free float tube, Trigger.
This. I haven't bought a box/stock AR in like 15 years. Do your research, handle some of your buddy's AR's, figure out what you like and don't like, then build it or have it built.

Be advised there are some truly junk made, air-soft, knock-off parts out there. And you'll hear good quality parts called junk by people that think you have to spend $2,500 to build an AR that's worth more than a boat anchor. I get a kick out of out shooting some guy who has sat around the range bragging about his $2,500 rifle and $1,200 optic with a rig I've got less than his scope cost. A Lexus is nice, but a Ford or Chevy will get the job done is what I'm saying.

As far as me....I like a collapsible that operates smoothly without slop or wiggle. I like free-float tubes with rail segments, but I detest quad rails. I like folding BUIS. I like red dots, but my eye's say magnification anymore so I buy an illuminated scope with a variable power setting. I love a good trigger.

You need to decide what you like and go that direction.

Rob
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

firefuzz wrote:
farm use wrote:To be honest this is why I built my own to start with, I build it the way I use it and want it. No buying something and wasting the money changing out parts I dont like or use. But to answer your question, depending on the configuration it was bought in, Stock, Free float tube, Trigger.
This. I haven't bought a box/stock AR in like 15 years. Do your research, handle some of your buddy's AR's, figure out what you like and don't like, then build it or have it built.

Be advised there are some truly junk made, air-soft, knock-off parts out there. And you'll hear good quality parts called junk by people that think you have to spend $2,500 to build an AR that's worth more than a boat anchor. I get a kick out of out shooting some guy who has sat around the range bragging about his $2,500 rifle and $1,200 optic with a rig I've got less than his scope cost. A Lexus is nice, but a Ford or Chevy will get the job done is what I'm saying.

As far as me....I like a collapsible that operates smoothly without slop or wiggle. I like free-float tubes with rail segments, but I detest quad rails. I like folding BUIS. I like red dots, but my eye's say magnification anymore so I buy an illuminated scope with a variable power setting. I love a good trigger.

You need to decide what you like and go that direction.

Rob
Well said! Great sound advice from fire fuzz!

This is what I have done for years also. There are a lot of great parts out there that wont brake the bank. The purpose of the rifle really makes the decisions on parts. If you just want a range plinker a $100 barrel will suit you just fine. If you want a precision rifle then spend the $300+ on a barrel. That goes for most parts. Im in the process of building a SBR grendel and after its said and done I should have about $900 in it. I didn't use a $200 lower, or rail. I used good parts for what I NEED for them to be.
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

A decent trigger really helped me out. I have an ALG which was $70 I think and a giessele which was $200 and they both are good.

Edit- I didn't look at your specs to see if that gun already has a good trigger. It might already have one.
ncbowhnter
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncbowhnter »

Once you build one, you won't have to ask about upgrades because you can build it the way you like. I was surprised at how easy an ar is to build and I will probably never buy a complete rifle again.
As far as most stock ar's, I would start with....
Trigger
Free Float rail
Grip
Jp Silent Capture Spring
Magpul BAD lever
Possibly new stock
Red Dot or 1-4 scope
Hopefully a Folding Stock Adapter if they ever come back in stock
and I'm sure a few more that I'm forgetting
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

Build. You get everything you want and nothing that you don't. You'll end up spending more in the long run buying a rifle and then changing out the things you don't want then just building one exactly how you want it. Just my 2 cents.
OHPrepper7

Post by OHPrepper7 »

firefuzz wrote: This. I haven't bought a box/stock AR in like 15 years. Do your research, handle some of your buddy's AR's, figure out what you like and don't like, then build it or have it built. -Rob
+1
If you can use a screwdriver, you can build (really assemble if we're being honest) an AR-15. Save yourself a lot of money and only get the parts you really want.

Places like http://palmettostatearmory.com/ let you pick from pieces parts or pre-assembled kits. It helps to save on shipping if you order most of your components from one place.