Anyone use the LWRC UCIW Stock on a 300 yet?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Messer

Anyone use the LWRC UCIW Stock on a 300 yet?

Post by Messer »

Howdy all,

I'm in the process of building my first SBR . It's also my first 300 BLK.

I have a Ballistic Advantage 10.3" barrel coming in, I already have a Spikes lower in hand, and I'm thinking about what stock to use.

I found this...
https://www.lwrci.com/p-361-uciw-ultra- ... stock.aspx

I really like the size, but I'm worried about it being a proprietary sized buffer. If I needed a heavier buffer to get it to run on both a suppressed & non-suppressed upper (I'll also have a 5.56 upper), the only option I've found is one from http://heavybuffers.com - and they are VERY proud of it!!!

So before I decide what path to take, I was wondering if anyone here has tried it yet, and what their results were?

Thanks,
Bob S.
mostholycerebus
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone use the LWRC UCIW Stock on a 300 yet?

Post by mostholycerebus »

One or two people here have it on with no reported issues. Its going on my first SBR build too. It goes on sale for about $100 once or twice a year.

The biggest thing holding me back is that the spring is proprietary. Springs are normally a wear item, and I havent seen any data on how long their custom spring lasts. I'd like an option to purchase a spare spring or two with the system.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I guess i dont see the benefit of this super short stock. Most people run the stock out to at least the first notch for use and alot of guys run it out 2-3 notches.

If thats the case the only reason i can see for using all these "special" parts is to make the gun a little shorter cor storage/transport.

Is that correct or am i missing something?

Im not denigrating your choice... I just dont understand the benefit
loranger
Senior Silent Operator

Post by loranger »

I had one on my 556 sbr and it just was not my cup of tea. I really wanted a small package like the troy/nea stock but just could not justify the cost. The LWRC was only 1" longer and on sale for $100 during black Friday. It has a decent cheek weld but was a little wobbly on the buffer tube. This bugged me the most so I ended up just putting my CTR back on. I also have longer arms so it just did not extend far enough for my likings.

Messer

Post by Messer »

Sharkbite wrote:I guess i dont see the benefit of this super short stock. Most people run the stock out to at least the first notch for use and alot of guys run it out 2-3 notches.

If thats the case the only reason i can see for using all these "special" parts is to make the gun a little shorter cor storage/transport.

Is that correct or am i missing something?

Im not denigrating your choice... I just dont understand the benefit
Yes - it is to make it as small as possible when in the collapsed position. From what I've been able to find, it will be about 2" shorter than a regular 6 position tube with a Magpul CTR on it.

The other thing that attracts me is the smaller footprint it has against your shoulder. I've handled a LWRC SPR carbine with this stock, and liked the way it handled - but I've had no range time with it.

I'm more concerned about it not functioning properly on a SBR 300, and having little available in options to get it working. As I said above - there is a fellow making heavier buffers, but at $150, it seems kinda steep to me. This fellow ( http://www.davidtubb.com/tubb-springs ) makes flat wire springs that could probably be cut to fit.

While I'm intrigued, I'll probably still go with a regular 6 position stock so I know I have options if needed.

Thanks for the replies,
Bob S.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

Messer wrote: Yes - it is to make it as small as possible when in the collapsed position. From what I've been able to find, it will be about 2" shorter than a regular 6 position tube with a Magpul CTR on it.

...for the $$$ of the purchase costs you would spend on proprietary parts , might as well go with a LAW Folding Adapter, achieves the smallest "collapsed position" of all options on the market yet retains compatibility with standard parts that are typically considered "consumables"....
sucker76
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sucker76 »

I have one on my 300 SBR. I also wanted the smallest possible stock that I could afford. I run it on one notch in from fully extended.

I like the cheek weld and it is comfortable to shoot. Right now I have only run factory supers with the stock. It ran famously. I have read that Heavybuffers offers a heavier buffer but haven't had a need to try it.

Here is the stock carbine buffer

Here is the UCIW buffer

Length collapsed

Length extended

I hope this helps. I LOVE mine and to each his own as the saying goes.
Stamp collecting since 2015
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

+1 on LWRC UCIW stock. I have one and love it.

One thing I haven't fully tested yet is subs with this set up. I did shoot 5 or 6 out of a ladder load I was working up with some new bullets and it had short stroking issues. Case ejected, no round loaded, with no suppressor attached.

I finished testing that load with another AR to eliminate UCIW stock as a problem. The rounds I did shoot out of the gun with the UCIW ended up being about 950fps. Given this, and the powder charge I ended up on with to get 1050FPS, I don't think the UCIW buffer and spring will inhibit a 300blk AR from working in all 4 possible setups.
nate89

Post by nate89 »

Bit of a nercopost, but I thought I'd put up some new data if anyone was looking for one of these, especially considering that with black friday they might go on sale again.
Background: I started a project trying to build the shortest practical 300 BLK possible. That meant the 6.5" V7 barrel and LAW folder. I was using a Geissele MK8 7" forend with a KAK mini flash can that just barely poked out of the forend. Great set-up, worked well, and was under 17" folded! Then I tried actually carrying it around and it was just too heavy for the bag I had it in, and honestly the LAW folder made it really wide and awkward to get out. I moved the LAW over to my 11.5" 5.56 gun and it is working very well on it. Cue the LWRC stock system.

I ended up replacing/modifying some of the parts on the gun to save weight. Replaced the forend with a 6.7" CMT MLOK forend, cut a 9" BCM barrel to about 7.5", and replaced the excellent (but heavy) MUR upper with the Bootleg lightweight upper. The lower now has the LWRC stock on it with no LAW folder. The weight went way down, and it is now not nearly as wide. The flatwire spring feels much stiffer than a stock one (makes sense as it is shorter), and I was worried that subs wouldn't cycle. I have tried the 208 hornady, 220 federal, and 200 S&Bs with the cut down BCM barrel (unmodified gas port) and they all cycle with a suppressor on, but only the federals 220s lock open unsuppressed, the others will eject but not pick up the next round. That is fine with me, as I'm only planning on shooting subs with the can on, and I think that helps when shooting supers suppressed.

Overall, the LWRC stock system has been a great purchase. I think it is much more comfortable (and cheaper) than the PDW stocks out there, with a minimal length penalty. It makes the whole package very thin, the cheekweld is much better than PDW stocks. If you are wanting to shorten your OAL a little bit, but don't want to pay for the PDW stocks, I think this is a great compromise.
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Nate, did you happen to get a measurement on the gas port on the bcm barrel when you had it apart to get it cut down?