Any 338 Spector love?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JP223
Silent Operator

Any 338 Spector love?

Post by JP223 »

I shot a SBR in 338 Spector years ago. I loved it! I got in to the 300 head first. I still a big fan of the 300 BO. So much one can do with, that platform. I think I still want to put money in to a sub only rig in 338 Spector. I value all your your information and, tips. 338 Spector. Pros and, cons please!

Happy new year!!!
two reasons for the Second Amendment right to bear arms. One is self defense, and the other –– whether you like it or not –– is enabling the American people to resist tyranny.
ss355
Silent Operator

Re: Any 338 Spector love?

Post by ss355 »

I think the Spectre is an intriguing cartridge that I'd love to play with, but I'm on the fence about it. The 300 grain subsonic pills it shoots sure sound tempting, but the cost of an additional can and 300 grain costs north of 80ish cents are a turn-off. Heck, even the cheapest 338 "plinking" bullet is about 35 cents a pop. Compared to the 300 that can shoot Hornady 225 grain bullets for about 35 cents and lighter bullets for a dime less, plus use my existing 30 caliber can, it's a fiscal no-brainer.

Realistically, I wouldn't use the Spectre for anything more than plinking/shooting steel, so it's hard for me to justify the cost. However, if I did need the extra oomph of the cartridge, I'd jump on it.

I'm very curious how the recoil of both subs and supers in 338 compare to the 300.
killerapplesauce

Re: Any 338 Spector love?

Post by killerapplesauce »

I would check out the .458socom forum they have a whole section about the specter.

http://458socomforums.com/index.php?PHP ... board=26.0