Best Twist Rate?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300Blk
Site Admin

Re: Best Twist Rate?

Post by 300Blk »

There is little difference between 1/7 and 1/8. I prefer 1/7 or faster for an extra margin of stability even with existing bullets.
bostonrob45

Post by bostonrob45 »

FormerNavy wrote:What about for shooting subsonics? I am new to this round but thought I had been reading that 1/8 wasn't sufficient for the heavier subsonic rounds.
You read correctly for the heavier rounds it is better to have a 1 in 7 twist there are enough 300 Blackout owners that complain about the heavy rounds on a 1 in 8 twist rate find a 1 in 7 twist rate to alleviate any issues
bostonrob45

Post by bostonrob45 »

gds wrote:first off welcome. Secondly it depends.

I have a
AR 15, 16 inch 1/10
AR15, 9.5 inch 1/8.5
Model 7, 16 inch 1/7

All three of them will stabilize my 247gr cast rounds. I have even loaded them subsonic in my .308 savage with 1/10 twist and can put 3 in the same hole subsonic at 50 yds

that having been said, some guns just done seem to work well with the heavier bullets. Mine just happen to.
So it's great that yours happened to work his question still stands and the answer is that it is better to have a 1 in 7 twist rate unless you go with a Noveske or a quality Barrel that for some reason can handle the heavier load
bostonrob45

Post by bostonrob45 »

tfbit wrote:1/7 or 1/8 is fine but AAC moved to 1/7 from 1/8 for some reason and Noveske makes them 1/7. That being said, I'd have no problem buying another DD 1/8 barrel or 1/7 if they ever switch.
The reason companies are switching to 1 in 7 twist rate is because of the complaints people are getting with the heavier grain rounds
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bostonrob45 wrote:
FormerNavy wrote:What about for shooting subsonics? I am new to this round but thought I had been reading that 1/8 wasn't sufficient for the heavier subsonic rounds.
You read correctly for the heavier rounds it is better to have a 1 in 7 twist there are enough 300 Blackout owners that complain about the heavy rounds on a 1 in 8 twist rate find a 1 in 7 twist rate to alleviate any issues
bostonrob45 wrote:
tfbit wrote:1/7 or 1/8 is fine but AAC moved to 1/7 from 1/8 for some reason and Noveske makes them 1/7. That being said, I'd have no problem buying another DD 1/8 barrel or 1/7 if they ever switch.
The reason companies are switching to 1 in 7 twist rate is because of the complaints people are getting with the heavier grain rounds
bostonrob45 wrote:

I have a
AR 15, 16 inch 1/10
AR15, 9.5 inch 1/8.5
Model 7, 16 inch 1/7

All three of them will stabilize my 247gr cast rounds. I have even loaded them subsonic in my .308 savage with 1/10 twist and can put 3 in the same hole subsonic at 50 yds

that having been said, some guns just done seem to work well with the heavier bullets. Mine just happen to.
So it's great that yours happened to work his question still stands and the answer is that it is better to have a 1 in 7 twist rate unless you go with a Noveske or a quality Barrel that for some reason can handle the heavier load
Slow down there hot rod.

First, your answering a four year old thread.

Second, your information is mostly incorrect.

Third, bullet weight means very little, except longer bullets of the same construction, weigh more.

A 240 SMK at 1.591" long will stabilize in a 1/10 twist, where a 195 Lehigh at 1.525" will not. A 230 Berger at 1.640" does just fine in a 1/8" at any distance, but starts to wobble around 150 yards in a 1/10 at 1000 fps. MV.

I don't know of any bullet currently on the market (6+ years after companies started moving to 1/7) that will not stabilize in a 1/8 twist at 1000fps. and stay stable past 400 yards.

That does not mean they will achieve their optimum BC potential.

Bullet design, shape and construction will also play in the mix.

The best twist will depend on what you plan on shooting. The Original question here was a mix. So for that purpose 99.9% of the people out there could shoot anything from 6-8 twist and never have a problem.

With the industry moving away from lead, solid copper will make same weight bullets longer, this was the reason for the 1/7. Looking to the future.

Some companies such as Sig have moved to 1/6 and 1/5 in shorter barrels. This helps maintain bullet BC with subs, but with supers it can cause bullet failure because of RPM's approaching 350,000.

As one of the few people that has actually put thousand of rounds down range in every twist from 1/5-1/11, I can assure you that any difference you notice between a 1/7 or 1/8 barrel, won't be because of the twist rate.

If you want an optimal twist rate for one or two bullets, I would change that answer dramatically.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

bostonrob45 wrote:

I have a
AR 15, 16 inch 1/10
AR15, 9.5 inch 1/8.5
Model 7, 16 inch 1/7

What the? This is a 4 1/2 year old thread for crying out loud.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in