Straight pistol length gas tube

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JDNC

Straight pistol length gas tube

Post by JDNC »

Well first things first. I'm an old man of 58 and guns are not new to me. I shoot, hunt, cast, swage and now want to try this 300BLK. I need some help though and this is my first post.

I want to build a 16" pistol length with an adjustable GB. I first looked at having a barrel made with a 0.750" GB location but found a 16" barrel from CMMG saving me enough to purchase my handguard. My problem is locating a straight pistol length gas tube. The GB location on this barrel is 0.936". I want to use a SLR Solo handguard and their DA9 adjustable GB but this straight gas tube has but a "little kink in my get a long" if you know what I mean.

I sure don't want to turn this area to 0.750" just to use the standard pistol gas tube but that might be my only solution. I got this barrel for $170 so I don't want to send it back! If I can't locate a straight tube I'm considering trying to straighten it in my lathe chuck using an indicator but I don't know if it's possible not to mention how much added length it will cause.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

JD
JDNC

Re: Straight pistol length gas tube

Post by JDNC »

Everybody waiting for me to figure this out for myself? :mrgreen:

Well I just miked the tube I have (standard pistol) and the diameter is 0.1799" at both ends with a relief area of a little over 0.172". So...if I can find a straight gas tube I'll just cut to length and duplicate the angle on the key end and I should be GTG. I don't really know if the relief needs to be there or not but I could also turn that down if need be. What do you think?

I've have never needed a straight pistol length tube before, no wonder they're not available if this is all there is to make one! :oops:

If I'm missing anything here please advise.

Thanks, JD
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

How are you going to seal the front end of the tube when you cut it down?
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

NM... now I see GB requires straight gas tube. I'd stick to standard parts myself.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?rout ... path=57_32

I'm confused... ARs are like legos. Why do you need custom legos? Buy a barrel with pistol or carbine length gas port. Buy gas port block to fit barrel. Buy gas tube in correct length. Put it together.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

The issue is that at this GB's seat diameter (bull profile), there is no elevation drop from the gas key's center line as there is with the smaller (standard) diameter seats.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
Outsydlooknin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Outsydlooknin »

I don't think that there is a straight pistol tube. If you look at those gas blocks they are designed for 308 pattern guns where they use a rifle length gas system with straight tubes.....I've yet to see a pistol length 308 so I doubt that you'll ever find a straight tube.

Personally if it were me, I'd by the rifle length straight tube, cut it to length, thread the inside of the tube where you cut it down and use a matching screw to plug the end then cut off the head . Stick it in the gas block and drill the pin hole and gas hole. The cross pin will keep the plug from backing out......after a while there should be enough carbon build up to seal any small leak possible from the screw.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Welcome!

Ha! I wrote up this big long post all confused thinking you were talking about a pistol length buffer assembly "tube" not the pistol length gas tube from the gas block.

Just deleted all of that and wanted to wish you good luck as I am a moron that apparently has trouble reading details :P
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

My question is why would CMMG make a GB .936 in a pistol gas system knowing you cant get a straight gas tube for the block in pistol length?
Outsydlooknin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Outsydlooknin »

It's not the barrels fault, it's the gas block that he wants to use fault.....the gas block requires a straight tube....they make a straight tube in a rifle length but not one in a pistol length that he has. A normal gas block and he could use a normal pistol length tube.....but it's not a normal gas block
GSO
Silent But Deadly

Post by GSO »

The description of the gas block states that it is for AR10/SR25 pattern AR's only. These are, of course, .308 Win rifles, so would this gas block be appropriate or even work with the smaller pattern 5.56/.223 parts that a 300BLK would be made with? I don't have the answer, and don't think I'd be willing to shell out the dough for the parts to test this out.

Or am I missing something?
I don't collect firearms; they just accumulate...

"Be Prepared" - My motto from an early age.

Greg