Help me pick my BUIS?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Stychiz

Help me pick my BUIS?

Post by Stychiz »

I only have a few prerequisites.

1. I prefer fixed sights over folding.

2. I would like for them to be as low to the bore as possible and still be used on a standard height upper receiver.

My purpose for the rifle is a G.O.O.D. gun or something of a "pdw" or sorts.

Does anyone have any ideas on what my options are?
themonk
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Help me pick my BUIS?

Post by themonk »

The LMT Tactical Rear Sight would be my choice for your prerequisites
Dochartaigh
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dochartaigh »

Why do you want them so low? There are lower sights made for H&K's version of an AR15 (most folding like Troy's HK sights), and they're fine on a regular AR15, but if you go lower than that you're not going to get a comfortable cheek weld.

Another question is why fixed? Do you ever plan on using a red-dot or another optic to make the rifle much more accurate than iron sights alone? At least a folding rear sight is always good to get so it's not in the way of optics. My iron sight groups are a good 1/2 as large as my red-dot groups, and my 4x scope groups are half that of the red-dot... (in other words: 6", 4", 2"; irons/red-dot/scope groups at 100 yards as a rough example).

Besides that, I like the Troy and Daniel Defense fixed sights.
FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Post by FirefighterCT »

Typically the "PDW" type of sights are folding, so I don't understand why fixed would be desirable.

While not fixed sights, my suggestion are low to bore, so perhaps worth considering... Troy Micro Sights. They're also available with tritium posts if you want low/no light illumination.

If you're wanting "fixed" for rapid ready, consider the wide variety of very good quick pop-up sights. Don't rule out the Magpul MBUS, especially for a PDW. They among others become "fixed" quite quickly.
Stychiz

Post by Stychiz »

I'm planning on just running irons. I don't feel the need for optics at the moment. I honestly don't have anything against folding sights.

I've been looking at the Troy battle sight line but man are they pricey!

I guess the distance to the bore won't matter as much if they fold.

What other folders do you suggest? I'm not real interest in polymer stuff for my BUIS set.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Dochartaigh wrote:Why do you want them so low? There are lower sights made for H&K's version of an AR15 (most folding like Troy's HK sights), and they're fine on a regular AR15, but if you go lower than that you're not going to get a comfortable cheek weld.

Dochartaigh makes a critical point here. If you get lower sights, the receiver extension (buffer tube) will force you to twist your head nearly sideways and lay the side of your head on the tube nearly sideways to get your eye in line with the sights.

Now, I understand liking fixed sights, as the less moving parts the better -- Less to go wrong. So, it would not hurt to look at the standard front-sight-base/gas-block. However, you must recognize it will be sticking up high enough that it could get in the way of a scope or red-dot sight. Of course, you say you most likely won't be running those, so...

I plan on running a Reflex sight on my 300 pistol (10" bbl.), so I like the idea of folding sights. There are myriad choices there. Almost so many that it's impossible to figure out, so I understand your question... It's daunting sorting through everything available. Because I'm running the reflex sight as my primary and the irons will truly be "back-up" sights, I'll add another criteria for you: weight. Now, this adds another layer, because the lightest BUIS are plastic. I don't like plastic sights, on the same theory you like fixed sights: resiliency. For a rear sight, I'm going with the Knights Micro 300m, because it is very small and light, but metal. I also feel the 300m sight is PLENTY for the 300 BLK. I won't be shooting it that far most likely.
Dochartaigh
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dochartaigh »

Just an FYI on the Knights 300m; as I understand it, it's calibrated for .223/5.56 so it's not going to be very useful for anything beyond it's initial 100 meter/yard zero (unless you do lots of shooting and find out that the 200m setting is really for 135 yards in 300 BLK, and the 300m setting is for 220m - or whatever it ends up being).

Buy beyond that I wouldn't skimp out on money for the iron sights. Ones by companies like Knights, Troy, Daniel Defense, Yankee Hill, etc. will serve you well (and resale value will remain high if you decide you don't like them). I always get Troy myself (mostly folding) because they're the benchmark for quality sights...and the fixed ones are a lot cheaper than the folding ones to boot.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

OK I'll throw my 2 cents in, a low power optic plus folders gives you many more options. Even if you can't co witness, if you mount the optic on quality quick detach you can bail on the optic fast if you need to.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
superman07

Post by superman07 »

I run Daniel defense and for fixed sights in my opinion they have no peer. Lightweight and durable, all are spot on and are ver precise with the expected adjustments. They lock down solid and use little space.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Dochartaigh wrote:Just an FYI on the Knights 300m; as I understand it, it's calibrated for .223/5.56 so it's not going to be very useful for anything beyond it's initial 100 meter/yard zero (unless you do lots of shooting and find out that the 200m setting is really for 135 yards in 300 BLK, and the 300m setting is for 220m - or whatever it ends up being).
Hmm... Another great point Dochartaigh. I hadn't thought that through all the way. Do you (or anyone) know of any BUIS with preset yardage which is calibrated for 300 BLK yet?

Considering my eyesight and the cartridge, if I'm using irons past 150 yards, I'll probably be adopting the WWI-era sight picture - aim for the belt buckle to minimize elevation errors. :mrgreen: