Bolt issues

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bolt issues

Post by smustian »

Auto or semi-auto bolt carrier? If auto, the hammer could be dragging. Since you have 2 BCGs, have you tried just swapping the bolt into the good carrier? That would narrow down possible problems.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

I know you said that the gas rings was lined up properly but are they worn out? You can check by standing the BCG up on the bolt face while it is extended out, if it falls under its own weight they are worn out. Replace and fire.
ckparker

Post by ckparker »

smustian wrote:Auto or semi-auto bolt carrier? If auto, the hammer could be dragging. Since you have 2 BCGs, have you tried just swapping the bolt into the good carrier? That would narrow down possible problems.
It is a full auto bolt carrier, I suppose its possible it could be dragging. I did not swap the bolts. I should've troubleshot a little better in the field, but it was about 25 degrees and I had my 10-year old with me do I rushed it.
ckparker

Post by ckparker »

farm use wrote:I know you said that the gas rings was lined up properly but are they worn out? You can check by standing the BCG up on the bolt face while it is extended out, if it falls under its own weight they are worn out. Replace and fire.
The rings are pretty new. They definitely have a good seal.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

It is most likly the gas key. It's possible for one of the bolt heads to shear off but remain in place due to the staking. The key will not be noticeably loose but will leak enough to cause malfunctions.

To check for interference with the trigger. Dry fire it, keeping the trigger held to the rear. Charge it (keeping the trigger to the rear) and if you feel a lot of resistance after the initial hammer cocking release the trigger. If that releases the jam or excess resistance you trigger is the problem.
Todd
SN13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SN13 »

ckparker wrote:OK, I consider myself to be aleast somewhat knowledgeable when bit comes to the AR platform, but I have a problem I can't quite figure out. I was testing some hand loads yesterday, and everything I shot was stovepiping--subs, supers hand loads and factory. I swapped bcg's with my 223 and everything was good to go. I inspected the bcg, didn't see anything so I tried it in the 223-stovepipe. Both bolts have thousands of rounds through them with no issues, both are lubed well. Both extractors and plungers feel and look the same. Anyone have any ideas where to go next? Thanks.

Well since you're swapping the entire BCG (Bolt + Carrier) then it could be either part. Why not take the Carrier from the .223 that was working fine, and put the BOLT from the 300 that was stovepiping, into the .223's Carrier.

If it works perfectly, the problem is in the carrier. If it fails, the problem is in the bolt.

Bolt problems = Extractor issue.
Carrier Problems = Gas key.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

Extracter overpowering ejecter. Verify extraxtor spring is correct colt gold without o ring. Verify ejecter spring strength and no brass shavings clogging tunnel.