Preparing to build a .300blk pistol, thoughts?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GSO
Silent But Deadly

Re: Preparing to build a .300blk pistol, thoughts?

Post by GSO »

Finally got some time to spare. Here is what mine built with a Phase 5 kit and the SigTac Brace. I squirted in some talcum powder as suggested in the directions, and barely got it half way one. At this point I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get it off without cutting it off either. But it works well and will do until my tax stamp comes in for the SBR. After that, I'm thinking about a 9mm upper and RRA adapter for the lower and letting my wife use it.

I don't collect firearms; they just accumulate...

"Be Prepared" - My motto from an early age.

Greg
unknwn

Post by unknwn »

Use a blow gun with an air compressor to move that SigTac the rest of the way.
Balog

Post by Balog »

GSO: thank you, I'll definitely be taking you up on that brace. Great price. :)

A guy locally is offering me a 9" upper for $460 but it has a Red X barrel and no name (air soft?) hand guards. Not sure what to think about that. A Rainier barrel from AIM would be better quality but more expensive when you factor in buying the vise block/wrenches etc.

I'm also pondering what muzzle device I want. The linear compensators look good for keeping the blast away from my face, but a Battle Comp would really keep the muzzle down and I don't know if muzzle blast is as much an issue with the short 300 vs a 5.56.
GSO
Silent But Deadly

Post by GSO »

Balog wrote:GSO: thank you, I'll definitely be taking you up on that brace. Great price. :)

A guy locally is offering me a 9" upper for $460 but it has a Red X barrel and no name (air soft?) hand guards. Not sure what to think about that. A Rainier barrel from AIM would be better quality but more expensive when you factor in buying the vise block/wrenches etc.

I'm also pondering what muzzle device I want. The linear compensators look good for keeping the blast away from my face, but a Battle Comp would really keep the muzzle down and I don't know if muzzle blast is as much an issue with the short 300 vs a 5.56.
You're right about the tool cost. It's cheaper to purchase a complete upper unless you are going to build several uppers or have friends who will split the cost. If you're in a gun club or have a large group of friends, you might ask around to see if anyone has tools you can borrow. A local gun store or gun smith may also be able to help you fairly cheaply.

Both of my 300BLK AR's have the AAC 51T flash suppressor on them since I intend to use an AAC 762-SDN-2 on whichever one I'm using at the time. I haven't noticed any significant difference in blast while I've shot the 16" carbine (made with a DS Arms stainless barrel) and the 9" AAC upper. I also just queried by almost 19-year old son, and he said he could notice the difference, but it wasn't enough to bother him. I've only shot the 16" one time at night (one shot to the feral pig's shoulder was all it took), but didn't notice excessive flash either. They do make a non-mount version as well which is cheaper if you don't intend to install a silencer.

I've also put Smith Vortex flash hiders on a couple of 5.56 AR's, but they are not on my "nice" list since they sued one of the regulars on the M14 Forum claiming that he "defamed" them. Also noticed quite a bit of shock wave to the side when my son was firing his 16" mid-gas with the Vortex on it last week. I haven't noticed that much side blast when he's fired either of the 300BLK with the AAC flash suppressor. I do know that they work really well at killing the flash based on videos on Brownells website, but it seems to be at the expense of side blast.

Other than these two, my only other experience is with standard A2 birdcage-style flash suppressors, so I can't give an informed opinion on either of the options you talked about.

In general, even without the SigTac, I found the 9" AAC upper reasonably easy to shoot. With my cheek against the foam tube cover which came with the pistol tube, the subsonics were a pleasure. Supersonic rounds had noticeably more recoil, but not so much as to hurt my cheek or give me a black eye. The SigTac puts supers into the "pleasure" category as well.
I don't collect firearms; they just accumulate...

"Be Prepared" - My motto from an early age.

Greg
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I am way to deep into what I got to change horses in mid-stream but if I had it to do over again I would just get an aac upper and call it good.
Balog

Post by Balog »

jwb47 wrote:I am way to deep into what I got to change horses in mid-stream but if I had it to do over again I would just get an aac upper and call it good.
If my budget was $1000 instead of $500 I would have too.
Balog

Post by Balog »

Balog wrote:
jwb47 wrote:I am way to deep into what I got to change horses in mid-stream but if I had it to do over again I would just get an aac upper and call it good.
If my budget was $1000 instead of $500 I would have too.
I've been thinking about this a lot and scanning the classifieds. I found a 9" AAC upper for a super price (even though it's a bit more than I had originally budgeted) and it's on the way now! I do want to build my own uppers, but with the new kiddo I barely have time to get to the range let alone all the other projects I want.
afshirt
Silent But Deadly

Post by afshirt »

GSO wrote: Finally, you would want a lo pro gas block since you'll have a pistol length gas system and carbine length hand guards. Easiest solution and sturdiest is a lo pro already set up for pinning to the barrel, like the Geissele below. A regular lo pro should work fine, and isn't likely to work lose if covered by hand guards, but the extra bit of security that the pin provides wouldn't hurt if you were motivated and had the tools to drill the barrel to accept the pin after mounting the gas block.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ga ... 56211.aspx

Hope this helps.

For a little cheaper black river tactical makes a nice lo pro self pinnable gas block. I have put together 4 barrels so far and they have worked perfectly every time.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA pistol, rifle, shotgun, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
Full time instructor with Florida Firearms Training
Dredsen

Post by Dredsen »

If you are concerned about constructive intent simply use a drill bit to strip the threading in the back of the tube.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

Guys...

There is no "constructive intent" by using any buffer tube you want.

This has been beaten to death

1. BATF has put out a letter stating clearly that you may use any buffer tube you want on a pistol
2. Even without that you are allowed by law to take your pistol, install a 16" barreled upper and then add a stock thus turning it into a rifle. You can go back and forth, pistol to rifle to pistol, whenever you like. You just cannot have the stock on with the short barrel

An A2 buffer tube or a CAR buffer tube are perfectly fine on a pistol and simply allow this FULLY LEGAL transition.

The issue of "constuctive intent" come into play when you have parts that have no other legal purpose except to make an illegal firearm. Example.. If i had a 14" barrel for my Bennili shotgun but no tax stamp for that. I would then have a problem with constructive intent

Another example would be i have a 10" AR upper, but only have a "rifle" lower. Now i only have the ability to use that upper to make an unregistered SBR