midwayusa's AR Stoner brand information

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

pman5kmo

midwayusa's AR Stoner brand information

Post by pman5kmo »

While chatting with some peeps I know who work at MidwayUSA the subject of AR Stoner came up. Apparently a majority of the parts and barrels are made by a small company in Iowa. Satern Machine Co. MidwayUSA purchases large lots and resells them. Some parts may be available for less going direct but some are not. As far as quality I have never used any AR stoner rifle parts other than mags which are made by another company (C products from the similar looking markings on mag bodies).

Just wanted to get this tidbit of info out there, I know satern machine is making most of the barrels and bolts as well as uppers for them.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Re: midwayusa's AR Stoner brand information

Post by farm use »

Satern is a mom and pops shop that turns out some of the best barrels in the buisness. I built a grendel and used a Satern barrel I got straight from them. Satern barrel=$570. Stoner barrel=$279 hummm. I have a hard time believing the stoner barrels at midway are turned by Satern. Satern may buy them and turn around and sale them, but I don't think Satern is making them. Im not nocking Stoner barrels, they shoot great also. I know Satern was selling some Liberty barrels at one time, but they didn't make those either. I have no interest in midway or Satern, but why would Satern make a barrel and sale it for less than half of one with their name on it, when they sale more than they can make with their name anyway!
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

farm use wrote:Satern is a mom and pops shop that turns out some of the best barrels in the buisness. I built a grendel and used a Satern barrel I got straight from them. Satern barrel=$570. Stoner barrel=$279 hummm. I have a hard time believing the stoner barrels at midway are turned by Satern. Satern may buy them and turn around and sale them, but I don't think Satern is making them. Im not nocking Stoner barrels, they shoot great also. I know Satern was selling some Liberty barrels at one time, but they didn't make those either. I have no interest in midway or Satern, but why would Satern make a barrel and sale it for less than half of one with their name on it, when they sale more than they can make with their name anyway!
Satern has their Lite 16" 300blk barrel(actually a Liberty barrel) advertised on their site for 210$
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
mostholycerebus
Silent But Deadly

Post by mostholycerebus »

farm use wrote:I have no interest in midway or Satern, but why would Satern make a barrel and sale it for less than half of one with their name on it, when they sale more than they can make with their name anyway!
Welcome to modern manufacturing and retail. This happens for many reasons. If a company has the volume, why only grab profits from one sales tier? Often there are only minor differences between a product: finish, packaging, name, and most importantly post-sale support. Unless materials are vastly cheaper, there's no reason to buy two lots of barrel blanks, run two different machines, and in general field two manufacturing lines. Instead, just add a step or two at the end for your 'premier' product, and upcharge whats appropriate.

In this industry in particular there are lots of profits to be taken. Frex, there are THOUSANDS of people who still believe the 1911 is the height of technology, and any AR that doesnt say COLT is crap. Try telling them their $99 Spikes lower was run on the same machine as a $45 cheapy and they may take a swing at you.
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

I understand how things are made and packaged and sold. But im still not convinced Satern makes stoner barrels. I hope they are though! Satern barrels are great shooters for sure, if I can buy a stoner made by satern for half the money im there! I paid $580 I believe for my 18" grendel barrel from satern a few years ago, it shoots awesome, but if I can buy a satern barrel that says stoner on it for $279 that shoots the same, YES PLEASE! I built a good friend a grendel last year using a 16" stoner barrel, it does shoot well, but the bore isnt as smooth as my satern, so im not sure.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

This is directly from Saterns site,
LIBERTY BARRELS® button rifled barrels are manufactured for sale in bulk quantities.
We have a fast growing vendor list, so please give us a call today to get an order in!
We do have a minimum of 10 barrels per length and caliber.
From time to time we may post over runs
on our barrels on hand page. If this is the case
the minimum order will be posted there.
Seems they are the makers of the Liberty barrels, aka AR-Stoner barrels. I know my "Lite" barrel is a sweet shooter that has run every factory load put in it.
Last edited by talonxracer on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

mostholycerebus wrote:
farm use wrote:I have no interest in midway or Satern, but why would Satern make a barrel and sale it for less than half of one with their name on it, when they sale more than they can make with their name anyway!
Welcome to modern manufacturing and retail. This happens for many reasons. If a company has the volume, why only grab profits from one sales tier? Often there are only minor differences between a product: finish, packaging, name, and most importantly post-sale support. Unless materials are vastly cheaper, there's no reason to buy two lots of barrel blanks, run two different machines, and in general field two manufacturing lines. Instead, just add a step or two at the end for your 'premier' product, and upcharge whats appropriate.

In this industry in particular there are lots of profits to be taken. Frex, there are THOUSANDS of people who still believe the 1911 is the height of technology, and any AR that doesnt say COLT is crap. Try telling them their $99 Spikes lower was run on the same machine as a $45 cheapy and they may take a swing at you.
I agree with what you are saying EXCEPT that we don't believe the 1911 is the height of technology, It just that no one has come up with anything all that much better 8) John Moses was a friggin' genius way beyond his time. I have had people get mad at me because I questioned the price paid for a lower. With CNC machining readily available to a company, in spec is in spec-period.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

CNC machinery, the great equalizer....LOL
RNT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RNT »

talonxracer wrote:
farm use wrote:Satern is a mom and pops shop that turns out some of the best barrels in the buisness. I built a grendel and used a Satern barrel I got straight from them. Satern barrel=$570. Stoner barrel=$279 hummm. I have a hard time believing the stoner barrels at midway are turned by Satern. Satern may buy them and turn around and sale them, but I don't think Satern is making them. Im not nocking Stoner barrels, they shoot great also. I know Satern was selling some Liberty barrels at one time, but they didn't make those either. I have no interest in midway or Satern, but why would Satern make a barrel and sale it for less than half of one with their name on it, when they sale more than they can make with their name anyway!
Satern has their Lite 16" 300blk barrel(actually a Liberty barrel) advertised on their site for 210$
Its my favorite 16" build!!!!!! Entire ar weighs ~6lbs!!!
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Well hell... I hope you guys are right and Stoners are made by Satern. I do know my Gendel barrel is a cut rifle barrel and not button rifled like the liberty's. I wonder if Satern buys the liberty barrel blanks in bulk already rifled and then just chamber them and finish them? There is no doubt the Stoner barrels will shoot, Iv built a few AR's with them in Grendel and Blkout and they all will shoot.