Another Magazine Question (for subs)

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Coronach

Another Magazine Question (for subs)

Post by Coronach »

I've been searching and reading, and I have learned that the Lancer L5 AWM magazine is one of the better ones out there. I have a good stash of Lancer 20 round mags, but they're the older style magazines. Loaded with 220gr subs, they bind up a little, with the ridges pushing the fatter bullets inward. I haven't tested feeding reliability yet, as I have a very small stash of subsonic and I don't want to waste any until I'm ready to do multiple things with it (check feeding reliability, chrono it, check group sizes and sight in). Based off the way it feels in the mag, reliability may be spotty.

I am aware of the procedure to reduce the rib size in the L5 magazine. I just haven't done it yet since I don't know if there are better options, or if it is even needed.

Is there a functional difference between the L5 AWM and the older style L5 magazine in this regard? Is one easier to modify, or does the AWM style require less/no modification? Is it worth picking up a few AWM mags to see?

Also, if you reduce the rib size, does reliability with supers suffer at all?

Thanks,

Mike
Dystaxia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Another Magazine Question (for subs)

Post by Dystaxia »

Check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=85204
Coronach

Post by Coronach »

Already did. Doesn't really answer what the differences are between the L5 and L5 AWM are for 300 BLK shooters, though.
ss355
Silent Operator

Post by ss355 »

I have both the older Lancers and the new AWM. As best I can tell, the new AWM does have either an internal rib that's closer to the front of the mag or protrudes less into the inside of the mag, or both. I don't have the mags in front of me, but I do recall that the AWMs offer a little more room for subs seated long.

Another option is the 300 BLK-specific mags made by D&H that have the smaller front rib.
Coronach

Post by Coronach »

Thanks. Could you do me a favor and take a look when you have a chance? I may order some AWMs if that is the case. I could use the older L5s for supers and the L5 AWMs for subs. That would leave all of my pmags and aluminium mags for 5.56 ...

Mike
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

I am running supers and subs from my modified Lancer AWM mags without any issues
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Coronach

Post by Coronach »

Talon,

Thanks for the reply. Since you modified your AWM mags, do you think it is worthwhile to upgrade to the AWM mags from the standard L5 mags, or do you think that doing with modification to the standard L5 mags would yield equivalent results?

Thanks,

Mike
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

I am not aware of the differences between the older and newer Lancer mags, but the ribs should be a common between them, so I would probably say they should work fine having the ribs modified.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Coronach

Post by Coronach »

Gotcha. Thanks!
RickR22
Silent Operator

Post by RickR22 »

I use the D&H mag made for the 300 Blackout. It has the side ribs cut down. When I use Subs, they do not get pushed together like the mags without the side ribs shaved will do. They are a bit pricey, but great quality!