Barrel & handguard length for qd suppressor?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jimlaw83

Barrel & handguard length for qd suppressor?

Post by jimlaw83 »

Hey guys,

Long time lurker from the Hide, first time poster. So I have a couple months left on my form 1 to return on my SBR, which I think is timing out ok with barrels and handguards beginning to come back in stock. I originally had my eye on the Noveske 8.2, and was going to run a standard carbine free float handguard. Here is my issue:

I own an AAC SDN-6, and so I know that unless I want to take a blackout flash hider and "screw" it on with the suppressor, I won't be able to have my suppressor quick attaching significantly under the handguard. So I am left with the alternative of getting the base of the suppressor as flush to the front of the handguard as possible. (Even maybe a bit under provided I can still depress the release latch for the can). I have seen on more than one site that you want a barrel right at 1 inch longer than the handguard to accomplish this "flush look."

However, when I went down and measured a few of my handguards/barrels on my current AR's, the math did not appear to add up, even including the .625 worth of threading offset. Am I wrong that it should be more like .7-.9 difference in barrel and handguard length to truly accomplish the flush look? I know this is a common goal with SBR 300 blk builds, so I was curious as to anyone's thoughts.

I am also possible looking at a CMMG 8.5 inch barrel, with a samson evo 7.6 handguard. (Unless anybody knows a 7.5-8 inch handguard other than the samson or KAC URX 8. Would the noveske 8.2 with the samson 7.6 result in too much under handguard?

As an FYI, I am pretty well set on the 8-8.5 inch barrel, since with the can attached I don't want overall muzzle to be over 14-14.5 inches. This will be a solely fun-shooter, very unlikely anything other than a random hog hunt would be involved. I guess I could by a 9-10 inch barrel and have my local smith turn/retread to a very flush fit, but I was kinda hoping to do the build 100% in my own house. Or I could take the dremel to a longer handguard to achieve the right length. Any experiences on this?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
-k-
Industry Professional

Re: Barrel & handguard length for qd suppressor?

Post by -k- »

Handguard dimensions are usually rounded up or down a bit and are taken from the front of the upper rail, not where the barrel starts. This is why the math doesn't come out just right.

You need a regular carbine length handguard and the deep socket AAC mount for a flush fit with an 8.2" barrel. The 7.6" handguard might work on the 8.5" barrel with a flush AAC mount.
Todd