Wooden AR15 300 Blackout, bucking the trend!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Wooden AR15 300 Blackout, bucking the trend!

Post by tallburnedmidget »

jwb47 wrote:did you consider a national match free float barrel sleeve ? I wonder if a person could get that to work . the top rail would be an issue for sure but you definatly have my wheels turning.
Good question since it raises an interesting discussion point!

I did not run across it in my searches for a small diameter hand guard. I think that is probably because I focused on finding a top railed hand guard with a small diameter.

I did just now look at the sleeve and it looks interesting, however I think the sleeve would not easily work as it rifle length which would be a definite hurdle when trying to accommodate a carbine gas system (or pistol gas).

After thinking about it a bit (well enough to devised a 10 step solution because the not knowing was bugging me hahaha) I could see the barrel sleeve working in theory but it would be a lot more effort than what I did, however still possible.

Something like he following steps for a barrel sleeve solution would need to be considered.

1. From the barrel nut side of the sleeve, Cut the sleeve in half at the point before the location of the low profile gas block providing enough space for the tube and gas block to be untouched by the barrel nut side of the sleeve
2. On the 2nd half of the barrel sleeve cut approx 2 inches off and throw that 2 inch piece away, also cut off the hand guard cap as you do not want it touching the barrel
3. This would leave you with the barrel nut half of the sleeve, and the hand guard cap portion of the sleeve
4. Take the wooden hand guard and fit it to the hand guard cap portion of the sleeve, using a rotary tool (like my Dremel) to sand down the interior of the wooden hand guard halves (it comes in two halves) until it fits flush/properly with the hand guard cap piece of the sleeve
4. With the wood hand guard fitted to the sleeve hand guard cap piece, drill holes through the wood hand guard and the sleeve. These can be big holes if u want to simply use bolts and nuts or smaller holes you can tap, all up to you)
5. Fasten the wood hand guard to the hand guard cap portion of the sleeve with some sort of screws, bolts & nuts, or whatever you have chosen to do
6. You would now have a free float wooden hand guard attached to the hand guard cap portion of the sleeve, but still need to work the barrel nut portion of the sleeve
7. Fasten the barrel nut and the barrel nut portion of the sleeve to the upper receiver until the fit is good and then fasten onto the barrel the gas block and tube so that all is setup properly
8. Fit (basically slide on) the assembled wood hand guard and hand guard cap sleeve portion onto the barrel nut portion of the sleeve that is attached, sand away any wood hand guard preventing a good fit of the wood hand guard over the barrel nut portion of the sleeve.
9. Once fitted drill/tap/fasten/whatever the barrel nut side of the wooden hand guard to the barrel nut portion of the sleeve.
10. You now have a free floated wooden hand guard via the modifications made to the barrel sleeve

I'm sure there would be other issues that might pop up like good sturdy stability, but once again this is all food for thought. Also, this design would not allow you to remove all of the hand guard like a true screw on/off free float hand guard but it would be wood and free float none the less. Finally, I will no longer be bugged by wondering if a solution was possible :)
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

they make a carbine length free float sleeve for shooting a m4 replica in national match.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

jwb47 wrote:they make a carbine length free float sleeve for shooting a m4 replica in national match.
That would make things much easier. Give it a shot I would definitely like to check it out :)
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

So I updated the original post with the new pictures from below. I believe I had mentioned that if/when I got a new phone with a decent camera that I would post new pics. Well I have a phone with a 20 megapixel camera so good pics are going to be the norm from here on out. Enjoy :)

By the way (BTW) this rifle has legally racked up 8 deer (3 subsonic, 5 supersonic) and 1 hog in over the past 2 years :)

New and improved pics
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

thats pretty cool
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Thats sweet!
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
MUTEMATH

Post by MUTEMATH »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
RAPR wrote:looks really good. How's the heat dissipation on that barrel under heavy firing?
Not sure yet with this new wooden setup, and I load with Lil'Gun which burns very hot. I'll find out soon. I plan to heavily soak the interior of the wood hand guard in some good heat resistant oil so that it resists drying out and cracking.

My main goal is hunting so I don't plan to do a lot of rapid firing and I can always wait a bit between shots. Should I want to do rapid firing I can also simply unscrew the wood hand guard off quiet easily which is another option.

It will be interesting to see how it holds up and if I see issues I can cut off the bottom portion of the wood hand guard so the heat escapes through the bottom of the Midwest Industries hand guard that the wood is screwed to.
Very nice. Wen you can, we need to make Canadian flag engraved AR wooden furniture.
I will test the prototype...after creating a cool logo and 3D model.

You down?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Looks great TBM!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

MUTEMATH wrote: Very nice. Wen you can, we need to make Canadian flag engraved AR wooden furniture.
I will test the prototype...after creating a cool logo and 3D model.

You down?
Mutemath thanks for the offer. Know I didn't fabricate the wooden furniture I bought it from Brownells here http://www.brownells.com/manufacturers/ ... htm?r_o=-1

My customization was to the wooden handguard. I cut a section out of the top of the handguard and did some major sanding on the inside so that I could fasten the wooden handguard to the MI SS Gen2 handguard. This gave me a free float handguard with a top rail while keeping the wooden look. I can't believe how well it came together!

With all of that said I'm sure it would be easy to buy a Lucid furniture set like mine and do the engraving thereby saving a ton of time and getting exactly what you want.

I'd be happy for you to bounce ideas off of me but I just wanted to be sure that you know I didn't create the wooden furniture set from scratch :)
Piep
Silent But Deadly

Post by Piep »

Something like that could give you a woody......lol
There's a time for compromise. It's called later.

Politically Correct;
A term used for Whiny, overly sensitive Pansies
who need everything Sugar- Coated for them.