Sick of gas in my face! Trying RTV seal and CH vent mods.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

one4freedom
Silent Operator

Sick of gas in my face! Trying RTV seal and CH vent mods.

Post by one4freedom »

Before getting my suppressor I had read about gasses coming out of the upper receiver above the charge handle, but figured it couldn't be that bad since people still appear to love putting cans on ARs. Nope. It's horrible. I do a bit of 3 gunning, so I practice 2-3 shot rapid fire groups. After a burst of 3 there is so much junk in my face I can't see.

I almost ordered a BCM gas buster today, but came across a couple threads talking about these 2 mods and decided to give it a go before dumping money on a part that doesn't gain me more functionality.

I'll post my review of how well it works, but that probably won't be for a week or so. Has anyone else tried either of these? Have you liked the results?
FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sick of gas in my face! Trying RTV seal and CH vent mods

Post by FirefighterCT »

curious to read your results. if you're not satisfied, I can tell you the gas buster works great. I just swapped the original CH to a new build.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

Is this in a 300blk upper? or 5.56?

I have had zero issues with my 300blk upper and gas face and doesnt have anything on it special to deal with it, just how it came from AAC.

Now my 10.5" 5.56 upper has a BCM Gunfighter charging handle with the raised area in the back and a Gas Vent that replaces the forward assist. On that upper those two parts are mandatory.

I dont know if the charging handle really does to much, but the gas vent is great. Thats where I would be spending my money.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
one4freedom
Silent Operator

Post by one4freedom »

I share this CH on my 5.56 and 300 BLK uppers that both share the SBR lower. The 5.56 definitely spits more gas in my face, but the BLK isn't a picnic either.

I was also looking at the forward assist replacement vent. I will probably add one of those if I don't like how this turns out.

Here are a few pics I snapped of my CH. In the first you can see how I applied the RTV. After it's fully cured I will trace the receiver contour with a razor.

In this one you can see how I drilled a vent using a 3/32" bit. I drilled from both sides and mated the holes inside.
rjacobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjacobs »

I personally dont think having that vent drilled right there is going to help at all, might make things worse.

A sealed up charging handle(either RTV or the BCM charging handles) and a Gas Vent is the ONLY way to go IMO. I have gotten several people setup with them and they have all been super happy with the performance.
300BLKOut Brass
[email protected]
www.300blkoutbrass.com
one4freedom
Silent Operator

Post by one4freedom »

rjacobs wrote:I personally dont think having that vent drilled right there is going to help at all, might make things worse.

A sealed up charging handle(either RTV or the BCM charging handles) and a Gas Vent is the ONLY way to go IMO. I have gotten several people setup with them and they have all been super happy with the performance.

Meh, only cost me 10 minutes of my life and I can fill it up with RTV if it makes things worse. I have heard good reviews on it, though.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

one fix.. if you can find one... get a ops-4 side charging upper receiver.. i have a couple of them and made a couple for a friend too.. no gas in the face EVER!

subs or supers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UehOw94yc0
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
one4freedom
Silent Operator

Post by one4freedom »

imyomama wrote:one fix.. if you can find one... get a ops-4 side charging upper receiver.. i have a couple of them and made a couple for a friend too.. no gas in the face EVER!

subs or supers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UehOw94yc0
That was my original plan, but gave up looking. Maybe when things calm down a bit more.
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

rjacobs wrote:I personally dont think having that vent drilled right there is going to help at all, might make things worse.
I drilled those holes on my BCM charge handles and it does help.
The RTV and holes together work excellent.
one4freedom
Silent Operator

Post by one4freedom »

Quick update. I got out over the weekend and put a through rounds through with the modded CH. It was WAY better than stock! I was doing 6-7 shots rapid fire and had no vision or breathing problems like before. I can't say whether or not the drilled port helped, but I am happy with the results!