new bolt set up.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

kamoto
Silent But Deadly

new bolt set up.

Post by kamoto »

i am working on a 10.5 in upper for my awaiting SBR stamp. i would like to shoot supers and subs, with and without a can. from my reading this seems to work better than an adjustable gas block. it is adjustable from the ejection port with the proper screwdriver.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bo ... 85952.aspx

any body tried this bolt? any issues or possible issues?

special note the stock is X products new PDW stock. but it does function with normal bcg. no special one nessary.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: new bolt set up.

Post by blaster »

wow thats pricy! have you tried it with a standard bolt? my 9" pistol shoots & cycles subs & supers with and without a can fine. the only part that is non standard is the Sig brace tube & buffer.
peace through superior firepower
BillJ
Silent Operator

Post by BillJ »

I understand wanting the ability to tune the gas without removing the handguard to get to the block, something that just isn't practical on most range trips.

But just how much adjusting will you need?
Most guns run just fine with a very wide range in ammunition suppressed or non.

If you handload some slow 920 fps subs, sure they might not feed or bolt hold open unsuppressed, but you just run some faster ones that will.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

I think an adjustable gas block would be a much simpler and reliable solution. From the pictures, I would be worried the adjustment screws could back out on the BCG, although that might not be the case. Plus the price is more than I would want to pay.

I have a 10.5" upper without adjustable gas. I mostly shoot subsonic with it. I put a Wolff extra power buffer spring in it and use an H2 buffer. It works fine with supers too. If I know I will shoot supers much, I will pop in an H3 buffer.
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

kamoto wrote:i am working on a 10.5 in upper for my awaiting SBR stamp. i would like to shoot supers and subs, with and without a can. from my reading this seems to work better than an adjustable gas block. it is adjustable from the ejection port with the proper screwdriver.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bo ... 85952.aspx

any body tried this bolt? any issues or possible issues?

special note the stock is X products new PDW stock. but it does function with normal bcg. no special one nessary.

The gas port in your barrel needs to be large enough to cycle subs without a silencer, even with a H3 buffer and an appropriate spring. If the gas port is already too small an adjustable gas block will not help.

Do you have the ability to measure your gas port?

If the port is large enough then I would agree an adjustable gas block with an h2-H3 buffer is a good plan.
The cool thing about buffers are you can take apart a H3 buffer and a carbine buffer and use the weights to make a h2 buffer.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
batman4706
Silent But Deadly

Post by batman4706 »

I have a JP silent spring in my 16 & 8.5 rifles and I shoot 110 to 240 without an an adjustable gas block. I shoot with a silencer attached.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Why subs without a can?
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Holly cow that bolt carrier is expensive. You could buy an upper for that price!

Any 8-16-inch 300blk that is built correctly will cycle super/subs with and without a suppressor. (make sure your upper uses a pistol length gas system) 300blk was made specifically to run with DI gas ar15's. Adjustable gas systems for 300blk are only needed if you are going to use edgy hand loads.
Have fun with your build!

R
kamoto
Silent But Deadly

Post by kamoto »

because i only have 1 rifle can. and more than one rifle. about every 3 months me and 2 others convert liberals. a full weekend course we supply ammo. they cover the cost. i would prefer to shoot with a can yes, but i need everything to function with and without.