Building a "Honey Badger" - 6" barrel 300 AAC Blackout

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

3Gunner
Silent Operator

Building a "Honey Badger" - 6" barrel 300 AAC Blackout

Post by 3Gunner »

Not sure if I'm still dreaming or not, but I have the possibility to build an AR-15 with 6" barrel in 300 AAC Blackout, semi auto only.

I simply love the "Honey Badger" concept and I want to make a copy, as close as possible (or better).

Color would have to be black at this stage, sad but true, but it will simplify things a few hundred percent.

Problem is...I know almost nothing about DIY, but will get help buidling it.

However I need help specifying the right parts.

I am in Europe by the way, which won't help sourcing some of the parts.

Current list is:

Upper receiver: JP Rifles CTR-02
Barrel: Lothar Walther 6" with xx threads for flash hider.

Lower:

NEA Compact Carbine Stock (CCS)
http://www.theammosource.com/index.php? ... ts_id=2177
Stock Assembly, Return/buffer system (5.56mm/.223 cal),Modified bolt carrier (shorter)

Friends, everything is open at the moment and I appreciate any help.

Having read some recent articles and test I find a high number of 300 AAC Blackout ARs that become jam-o-matics...don't want this.
Last edited by 3Gunner on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not safe to hope for the best without preparing for the worst
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Re: Building a "Honey Badger" - 6" barrel 300 AAC Blackout

Post by Legionaire »

The 30 cal barrel threads are not 1\2 x 28. I believe they are 5/8 x 24. 1/2 x 28 are used on 5.56 barrels.

"Having read some recent articles and test I find a high number of 300 AAC Blackout ARs that become jam-o-matics...don't want this."

I dont think this round is known as a jam-o-matic. In fact i believe they are just the opposite in that guns chambered for the 300 blk that are put together correctly and have ammunition to correct specs fired in them are just the opposite and function flawlessly. I know mine does.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

My SHTF gun may very well be rolled over to 300blk. The only thing it doesn't like is goofy ass "out of spec" hand load experiments. Runs like a swiss watch with anything remotely close to appropriate power.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
3Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by 3Gunner »

OK about the threads. I'm ordering a custom barrel I guess, so I can specify what I want.

More Qs:

6" Barrel twist? 1 in 5?
Gas port size?
Adjustable gas block? I have this on my other competition ARs (14-18"), rarely change it but feel it's a benefit when playing with new ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSogDbqpUSg

It says in the text that the HB uses a ported barrel. Is it a ported barrel with a "slip over" suppressor, or?
Not planning on porting the barrel.
3Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by 3Gunner »

Jim Timber wrote:My SHTF gun may very well be rolled over to 300blk. The only thing it doesn't like is goofy ass "out of spec" hand load experiments. Runs like a swiss watch with anything remotely close to appropriate power.

Barrel length?
3Gunner
Silent Operator

Post by 3Gunner »

Legionaire wrote: I dont think this round is known as a jam-o-matic. In fact i believe they are just the opposite in that guns chambered for the 300 blk that are put together correctly and have ammunition to correct specs fired in them are just the opposite and function flawlessly. I know mine does.
Nice. From the AAC pdf

There are two special considerations for the AAC upper - gas port pressure, and reliable feeding from a magazine.

Anyone with a clue of the barrel twist for 6"?
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

The same as 16". 1x8 or 1x7 if you plan on running heavy subs.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

My barrel on the potential SHTF gun is a 16" CHF Daniel Defense with 1:8 twist and carbine gas system .120" port diameter.

Now that I've got the port size large enough on my pistol, which is a redx "project" sold as functional and requires substantial access to machining capabilities to finish - that has a 7.5" length with 1:10 twist: it has been running smoothly with full power loads. I wouldn't buy one again, and I am a machinist. We'll leave it at that.

6" is really short, but the 300blk is the best option outside a genuine pistol round for such a beast. I'm only seeing a 200fps reduction in velocity between my 16 and 7.5" barrels with the same loads. That's half the reduction of 5.56, and the heavier pills deliver far more energy at the reduced speeds. Dwell time is going to be your biggest issue without a can. Will you be using this with one or not?

If you're ordering a barrel custom from JP, they're only about 20 miles away from me. I'm also friends with one of John's friends. I think we could work out getting that STD to you in the same box if that's the case.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
oneshotkyle

Post by oneshotkyle »

[quote="3Gunner"]Lower:

NEA Compact Carbine Stock (CCS)
http://www.theammosource.com/index.php? ... ts_id=2177
Stock Assembly, Return/buffer system (5.56mm/.223 cal),Modified bolt carrier (shorter) quote]

im curious if anyone can give feedback on the nea CCS? I am on the fence waiting for the troy version to come out.
armed_zebra
Silent But Deadly

Post by armed_zebra »

In about 4000 rounds through my 8" AR, I have had one FTFeed. 300s are not "jam o matics" unless the mags are junk or the ammo is not utilizing the correct bullet.

As for twist rate, 1 in 5 is way too fast. 1 in 7 should be the fastest you need. I can't comment on port size for a 6". Contact Houston Armory. I'm quite sure they have experience with the 6" 300BLK.
Silence can not be misquoted.