DPMS AAC 300 blk rifles

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Re: DPMS AAC 300 blk rifles

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Savage260 wrote:MD, you either don't have kids, or your patience left when your kids left the house, lol. Isn't patience a virtue? Ha!

Yea, I guess I could have wasted another $100 on a LaRue, but I don't shoot comp....yet, I am not depending on my PEPR to save my life in combat, and I don't think I will have to "bug out" soon, because the "shit hit the fan". It would be like me spending an extra couple hundred on a 20" chainsaw when my 16" does exactly what I need it to do. I understand some people NEED the "best", some people THINK they need the "best", and some people just think it makes them better if they buy the "best". I don't. Certainly nothing wrong with the LaRue if you want or need it though!

The 3 I have owned, and the 6 sets of XTR rings have never failed in any way, so until I get burned, I have no reason to switch, and no one will convince me any thing is "better" until mine do fail. I also love the 3 Dodge pickups I have owned. Lots of people tell me they aren't as good as others too, but they have never failed me!
Have kids, young ones. Patience is defined differently by different people. 6 months for a firearm? Then the 2 years, 3 months, etc., for a DPMS, that's just beyond obscene.

Why would I wait 6 months when I can get the same or better in a week?

I have a large collection of ARs, but even at 10 x (item cost) gets real expensive. 10 Geissele triggers, 10 LT Mounts, 10 ACOGs, 10 Aimpoints, Eotechs, FF Rails . . .

So - yes, I use "budget" items - Primary Arms Red dot on a dedicated .22, but subscribe to the buy once, cry once philosophy.

As far as LT kit, it's simply the best in the world, bar none. But correct indeed is the fact not everyone needs the very best.

You wanna drive a Yugo, or a Mercedes? The Yugo will get you to where you're going . . . .
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Savage260
Silent Operator

Post by Savage260 »

MD, if you have a money problem, you can send me some and I will buy more expensive stuff!!!

Not arguing, but how was the LaRue kit deemed "simply the best in the world, bar none"? Did they run a competition, or poll users from different groups, or what? Who deemed them the best? I have read a lot of people say they are, but a lot of people say DPMS is junk, and I know better.

Of those two choices, I would take the Mercedes and sell it to buy two vehicles that would be much better choices for me and my family.
I would rather drive my pickup, I don't think putting a deer or coyote in the back of a mercedes would be such a good idea, and the mercedes probably wouldn't handle the Badlands very well! :P
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Savage260 wrote:MD, if you have a money problem, you can send me some and I will buy more expensive stuff!!!

Not arguing, but how was the LaRue kit deemed "simply the best in the world, bar none"? Did they run a competition, or poll users from different groups, or what? Who deemed them the best? I have read a lot of people say they are, but a lot of people say DPMS is junk, and I know better.

Of those two choices, I would take the Mercedes and sell it to buy two vehicles that would be much better choices for me and my family.
I would rather drive my pickup, I don't think putting a deer or coyote in the back of a mercedes would be such a good idea, and the mercedes probably wouldn't handle the Badlands very well! :P
LT simply is regarded as the best by people who use their kit. The return to zero is well documented. The budget stuff doesn't - I know from experience. Their stuff is use by people on a two way range and as you noted, not everyone has that need.

The point about that cars . . . is some want more than others. In firearms, the same follows. Again, on a two-way range, it's more of a need than a want. Not a situation you wanna come in second. For plinking, you don't need top of the line kit. I run some cheap stuff . . . but on designated battle rifles, you simply owe it to yourself and your family to buy the best.

You'd be surprised what a Benz can handle - re: badlands

Me - I like the F-150.

DPMS, meh - I've seen the bolts snap right at the cam holes; right in half. That was years ago, so maybe that's no longer the case.

If they have served you well, great. For me, I think I can get more for less with other brands.

Certain brands I won't own for various reasons, but if you're happy, I'm happy.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Savage260
Silent Operator

Post by Savage260 »

MD, I hear ya, and I agree. I don't own any "designated battle rifles", unless the M-14 in my squad counts, but that is iron sights only.

I will have to ask the two guys I work with that have been in combat what mounts they used. Would be interesting to find out all the brands they used. I know one is quite a shooter, and has a number of medals/plates/badges/and other devices he has won in competition. He carried/used a number of different weapons, the other was a Marine and as far as I know strictly carried the M-4. I will have to ask.

Wow, bolts snapping in half? That can't be good! I have never heard that, and hope I never see it! I am pretty new to the AR world, and have only had one Colt Match Target Competition H-bar, and all the DPMS rifles I own/have owned. What are some of the better names out there? I recently won a DPMS Oracle and the sales guy tried to get me to trade up for a Black Rain Ord. rifle. It was priced at 2199 so I said no thanks. I had never seen an AR as fancy as that one. Seemed like it was too blingy to shoot.

On the other hand, what are some brands to shy away from?

I might not be overly surprised if a mercedes could handle some of the badlands, but I sure would be sad if I owned one and got it all scratched up and dirty while driving it out there! Deer blood and scoria dust on my leather would make me cry!
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

One to avoid is Olympic arms. They have good barrels but the other parts not so good.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »