DPMS AAC 300 blk rifles

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Klem
Silent But Deadly

Re: DPMS AAC 300 blk rifles

Post by Klem »

I agree with 20X on the hand-loading...you do need to careful as you go.

Unlike other calibres with 300BLK you are handloading on two fronts; supersonic and subsonic. With supersonic the etiquette is to load-up while subonic to load-down, for sound safety reasons. With subsonic however there are competing relationships between peak chamber pressure, cycling pressure, muzzle pressure (sound) and percent powder burnt. You can quickly exceed peak chamber pressure for this calibre by not keeping track of what you are doing, or simply mixing the two up.

Quickload helps you here, and so does this forum (a big thanks to everyone).

Regardless of your years of prior handloading experience I guarantee you will learn something while developing, and it will be an enjoyable ride.
Savage260
Silent Operator

Post by Savage260 »

I should be set, I have a chrono, have quickload, have a pretty decent trimmer, I weigh all charges on a digital and balance scale to make sure they are correct, I think I have a pretty good system going. Hopefully it will be a fun and rewarding experience!!! I learn things every time I am at the loading bench it seems, so I will welcome the challenge!

Quick question, is the crimp that my Hornady 300blk die will put on the brass good enough, or do I need a separate crimp die?
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I would get a Lee Factory Crimp die..they are cheap and effective. Just my preference.
Savage260
Silent Operator

Post by Savage260 »

Looks like I have the picture thing figured out. Here it is.....never mind the ugly orange home made poker table.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Sweet!!!
Savage260
Silent Operator

Post by Savage260 »

Thanks! One hint for folks if you don't have a suppressor that will work with the AAC flash hider, get ready to see a gunsmith! I tried to get that thing off with water(as per AAC), heat, muscle, and nothing worked. That RockSett is some tough stuff!!! I guess if you have limited tools like I do any way! My smith had a heck of a time trying to get the brake to break free, HA!

Waiting on a comment on the PEPR mount........hey, it works for me!
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

Savage260 wrote:Thanks! One hint for folks if you don't have a suppressor that will work with the AAC flash hider, get ready to see a gunsmith! I tried to get that thing off with water(as per AAC), heat, muscle, and nothing worked. That RockSett is some tough stuff!!! I guess if you have limited tools like I do any way! My smith had a heck of a time trying to get the brake to break free, HA!

I think you have a great looking rifle , good luck with getting up and running . As for the pepr mount I had a bad experience and dont care for it . maybe I just had that one that slipped by q.c. anyway what scope is that your rocking?
Savage260
Silent Operator

Post by Savage260 »

I have already had it up and running, to a certain extent. Took it out after prairie dogs in Western ND in July. Had a blast with the 110gr V-max. From 25yds to 253yds(my longest lased shot with this rifle) it was absolulely devastating! The really close(under 50yds) shots didn't give such a dramatic effect, but the stuff farther out seemed to splatter as well as my 6mm Rem with 105 A-max. I loved the low recoil, the rifle performed flawlessly, and the scope seemed to do pretty well too.

The scope is the Burris MTAC 1-4x package. Comes with the fast fire dot sight and PEPR mount. Decent setup overall. I really don't like the center dot in the CQ reticle though. The "100yd" dot is waaaayyyyy too big for my liking, but I love my NF NP-2DD and the IOR MP8, and SIII target dots, so this seems a little big. I sighted in with the second, smaller, dot at 100 and it was all good from there.

Only shot a hand full of the HSM 220SMK subs for fun at 100yds at paper. Decent grouping, but not under an inch like the 5 shot groups with the 110s.
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

20X11 wrote:I would get a Lee Factory Crimp die..they are cheap and effective. Just my preference.
+1

$12
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Savage260 wrote:Thanks! One hint for folks if you don't have a suppressor that will work with the AAC flash hider, get ready to see a gunsmith! I tried to get that thing off with water(as per AAC), heat, muscle, and nothing worked. That RockSett is some tough stuff!!! I guess if you have limited tools like I do any way! My smith had a heck of a time trying to get the brake to break free, HA!

Fot that kinda $, LaRue Tactical is wayyyyyy better IMHO. YMMV
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.