Plumb Crazy is just junk......or wait maybe not.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

buddyhacket

Plumb Crazy is just junk......or wait maybe not.

Post by buddyhacket »

Plumb Crazy is crap! Plastic guns are no good and especially this one! Plastic trigger plastic releases PLASTIC EVERYTHING!!! I borrowed my buddies Plumb crazy AR (plumb crazy lower and a RR upper in 5.56). I so wanted to HATE this lower! Trigger is not a match grade the fit between the upper and lower in not a matched billet set and it's plastic!.
With all those things said the lower worked flawlessly!!!!! Sure the trigger is a standard service trigger but every time I puller it it sent a round down range...EVERY TIME!! in a day using pmags and cheap brass ammo not one malfunction....not a one. I wanted to say this lower should be melted down like so many of my Testors models but, no matter what I did to the thing it never ever stopped working!
I so can't believe That I am writing a favorable review on this lower it just should not have worked with the sand and mug the damn thing just worked. It is as accurate as a JPI.. NO! Is it designed for 1/2 min. type of accuracy no, will it give you 1.5 groups at 75 yards all day long.
More than anything I found myself liking the lower caused it just worked it's not pretty but, it never failed to feed rounds. I'm so glad I I tried it because I would have never believed that lower would function at all but, the opposite was just the case. I have to say it's cheap to buy, operate and have a blast with if, you were like me and said PC sucks give it a shoot. Sure it may be a chick with a pimple on her nose but, as soon as you look past that pimple you will see a Cindy Crawford behind the blemish!
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Plumb Crazy is just junk......or wait maybe not.

Post by mbogo »

I have several Plum Crazy lowers ands have had zero problems with them.

mbogo
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

To me the lower is sorta inconsequential in comparison to the upper.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
wdyasq
Silent Operator

Post by wdyasq »

I've got two PlumCrazy and two "New Frontier" lowers. The triggers are better than a stock AR trigger, they are light and they work.

What's not to like?

Ron
pgg

Post by pgg »

wdyasq wrote:What's not to like?
Maybe how they would behave in the event of a catastrophic failure from bad ammo.

Low probability event, but it happens. If my number comes up, I think I'd like something stronger to (maybe) direct the kaboom down out the mag well instead of sideways into me.
mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo »

pgg wrote:
Maybe how they would behave in the event of a catastrophic failure from bad ammo.

Low probability event, but it happens. If my number comes up, I think I'd like something stronger to (maybe) direct the kaboom down out the mag well instead of sideways into me.
The pressure of a detonation would be borne by the upper. The gases would escape through the path of least resistance, which would be the bolt face, gas tube, barrel, and magazine well regardless of the composition of the lower.

mbogo
Stickman
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stickman »

pgg wrote:

What happens much more often is the lower snapping, which is something you don't see with aluminum lowers.
Stick

I've done work photography work with 45 or so manufacturers within the firearm community, my images have been used for catalogs, magazines, covers, etc. I have also shot work for the US Military. I am prior service and a full time LEO.

I now also shoot and write for Military Times. My primary focus will stay with weapons, accessories and related equipment reviews. Manufacturers can reach me through any of the boards. Have something new? Let me know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stickgunner
UtopiaTexas
Silent Operator

Post by UtopiaTexas »

I use the Plum Crazy units on my lightest builds/truck guns and BCM for my really heavy "reach out and touch someone" AR's. Both brands have worked flawlessly so far and I have no complaints. I am curious as to what the face of the hammer will eventually look like on the Plum Crazy where it strikes the back end of the firing pin. So far, so good.
FarmerTed1971
Silent But Deadly

Post by FarmerTed1971 »

I think this lower would be sweet on a .22 build.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I used a Frontier Arms lower to build a 20" gun that weighs 5 pounds even. I used a carbon fiber free float tube and a very lightweight barrel. It has a collapsible stock and uses the stock without reinforcement ribs.

I shot it for accuracy and it works very, very well for a lightweight barrel. I was shooting off a hard surface and not really trying but the gun still turned in a 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Next trip to the range I will lay it across a bag and give it a serious workout.

The triggers are heavy but they also have ZERO creep. I still prefer steel triggers because I can get them down to 3.5 pounds and reliable with everything. I know my 300 build will use a regualr lower but I would not worry about using a polymer lower for it either.

Dolomite
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!