16" barrel with pistol length gas system buffer question.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Smokin' Iron

16" barrel with pistol length gas system buffer question.

Post by Smokin' Iron »

I just picked up my first 300 blackout upper, a PSA 16" barrel with a pistol length gas tube. It cycles reliably with both my 110 and 150 grain loads, but appears to be a little over-gassed. Spent brass for the 110 grain load land at one o'clock and 150 grain brass lands at one thirty. On both loads the brass is getting dented on both the wall and the mouth. Currently I am using a carbine buffer and spring. It seems like a heavier buffer is in order, but how heavy? My main goal is to cut down on brass damage without sacrificing reliability. This with be more of a hunting carbine, but cycling subs would be nice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
MisterHelix
Silent Operator

Re: 16" barrel with pistol length gas system buffer question.

Post by MisterHelix »

A pistol gassed rifle is going to be overgassed shooting supers.

A heavier buffer does not solve the issue, but may slow the timing. I prefer the VLTOR A5 system, but have used a carbine H2.

An adjustable gas block and/or a carbine gassed barrel is the ticket for a supersonic hunting rig.

You may not be able to access the adjustment of a front-adjusting AGB (like SLR) with pistol gas under a long hand guard.

A piece of adhesive Velcro on the deflector will help your brass.

Your brass looks pretty good as is.

Welcome to the forum.
Smokin' Iron

Post by Smokin' Iron »

MisterHelix wrote:A pistol gassed rifle is going to be overgassed shooting supers.

A heavier buffer does not solve the issue, but may slow the timing. I prefer the VLTOR A5 system, but have used a carbine H2.

An adjustable gas block and/or a carbine gassed barrel is the ticket for a supersonic hunting rig.

You may not be able to access the adjustment of a front-adjusting AGB (like SLR) with pistol gas under a long hand guard.

A piece of adhesive Velcro on the deflector will help your brass.

Your brass looks pretty good as is.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome MisterHelix and the additional information. I picked up a H2 buffer and gave it a try tonight. You were correct that while it was not the silver bullet it did slow the timing down close enough. My brass is now landing at 3 o'clock and not denting as bad. A little velcro should remedy that. Searching old posts help but getting fresh input is usually better.
Wanderson

Post by Wanderson »

I use an H3 buffer in my 16" PSA (pistol length gas system) for supers and a std. buffer for subs. No damaged brass, runs fine. You can buy tungsten weights from KAK for $7 a pop if you want to experiment. There's three weights in there made of steel (light) or tungsten (heavy). H3 is three tungsten, H2 is two tungsten and one steel. Easy to disassemble with a hammer and punch, just knock out the roll pin.