JP silent captured spring

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: JP silent captured spring

Post by talonxracer »

JP has two different SCS assemblies, one for AR15's and the other for AR10's and they have a selection of different weight springs available for each to fine tune the action. I will never have another AR15 without the SCS, simply to eliminate the sprong/cheese grater noise(it causes intense pain in the teeth, fillings)
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Has anyone noticed how smooth the recoil is with this captured spring system?

I was playing with mine (have two of them now) in a 223 rifle running a brake and the recoil is almost non-existent as if the rifle is shooting rimfire ammo. I was a bit shocked at first. Its kind of an odd feeling to have so little recoil in a full power rifle.

I tried a couple of different muzzle devices and it is def most noticeable running a muzzle brake.

I also got a better selection of springs so I can tune the recoil system a little better. Need to spend some quality time trying different combinations of springs and muzzle devices.

As to the spring noise. We shot a suppressed 223 rifle running a conventional rifle spring and the loud "SPROING" after each shot is fricken horrible. The captive spring system is a godsend in that manner.
jreinke
Silent Operator

Post by jreinke »

Suputin221 wrote:Has anyone noticed how smooth the recoil is with this captured spring system?

I was playing with mine (have two of them now) in a 223 rifle running a brake and the recoil is almost non-existent as if the rifle is shooting rimfire ammo. I was a bit shocked at first. Its kind of an odd feeling to have so little recoil in a full power rifle.
I noticed the same thing but was really shocked as to how significant it was when I watched someone shoot may AR. I have a 16" Bushmaster upper with an Ares GXR-35 piston, an AAC 18-tooth muzzle brake, the JP capture spring and had my 762SD attached at the time. It almost looked as there was no recoil, no muzzle rise and very minute rearward movement. I'll definitely get another for my 300 Blackout AR.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Normally I have been running a 20 lb spring in mine. Did a bit of testing yesterday and tried a couple of different spring weights. I was using an 11" 223 upper for these tests.

The gun ran fine with a24 lb spring but ejection seemed a bit lazy. So I dropped down to a 22 lb spring and think I will go with that from now on. Ejection is decent and the bolt seems to run forward a bit faster and with a bit more authority.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

My silent spring system needed a couple of fixes so I improved how the anti-bounce weight is held captive. I also had a chunk of bronze so just for shits & giggles made the anti-bounce weight out of bronze, which is also heavier than steel. The one with the white delrin and bronze weight is for my 556 rifle and the black and steel one is for my 300 BLK rifle.

tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Suputin221 wrote:My silent spring system needed a couple of fixes so I improved how the anti-bounce weight is held captive. I also had a chunk of bronze so just for shits & giggles made the anti-bounce weight out of bronze, which is also heavier than steel. The one with the white delrin and bronze weight is for my 556 rifle and the black and steel one is for my 300 BLK rifle.
So what is the cost for you to build one of these?

Also what hope does someone who does not have access (or skills) to a machine shop have of getting one of these made?

I ask to only to see if a home made one is remotely cost effective compared to just dropping the $$$ to buy the JP product.

In a perfect world the average Joe could go to a hardware store and pick up all of the parts (or order online) and assemble one himself, but I don't think that is even close to being possible. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

tallburnedmidget wrote:So what is the cost for you to build one of these?
I suppose it depends on how you define cost? For me it costs next to nothing because I have a lathe and mill in my garage so I just go out and make the parts I want. If you want to factor in the $10,000 worth of machine tools, tooling and raw materials then the JP would be a much more cost effective option.
Also what hope does someone who does not have access (or skills) to a machine shop have of getting one of these made?

In a perfect world the average Joe could go to a hardware store and pick up all of the parts (or order online) and assemble one himself, but I don't think that is even close to being possible. Please correct me if I am wrong.
There is no hope of making one of these things without a lathe. Every single part, except for the spring is specifically designed and custom made for the application. OK, there is a bolt and a snap ring in there as well but those are the only off the shelf parts.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Of the springs you can buy for this thing which is best for the blk out ? I just have the original one that came on it. Is another one better for the blk ?
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Suputin221 wrote:My silent spring system needed a couple of fixes so I improved how the anti-bounce weight is held captive. I also had a chunk of bronze so just for shits & giggles made the anti-bounce weight out of bronze, which is also heavier than steel. The one with the white delrin and bronze weight is for my 556 rifle and the black and steel one is for my 300 BLK rifle.

If you've got the time I have a few questions. This is one of those projects that look too good to pass up on. The dimensions (if you have them) just need to be roughed in on the major points. I can figure some of the minor stuff out myself. Thanks.

Sorry, that bottom line of questions is a bit blurry. The first one is "How is the endplate secured" and the question on rod that the spring is on is regarding the material, is it Stainless or aluminum?

Thanks again!
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

This is interesting. It looks like JP has two different weights.

Suputin221, how much does the weight on your SCP weigh?