JP silent captured spring

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Re: JP silent captured spring

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

You could try removing the pin and then removing the bolt weight. Most blowback carriers have the weight added after the fact and held in place with a pin.

The other alternative is to chuck the entire bolt carrier in a lathe and drill through the weight. I suspect when you hit the pin it will get difficult. I guess you could remove the weight and drill it separately then install two halves of the pin in so the rod can pass through it.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:You could try removing the pin and then removing the bolt weight. Most blowback carriers have the weight added after the fact and held in place with a pin.

The other alternative is to chuck the entire bolt carrier in a lathe and drill through the weight. I suspect when you hit the pin it will get difficult. I guess you could remove the weight and drill it separately then install two halves of the pin in so the rod can pass through it.
I have considered doing this for my 9mm but the extra weight in the carrier is there for a very good reason. Removing it is a fairly bad idea. The extra weight is probably marginal for a 9mm and the 40 has even more recoil impulse so making the carrier lighter in that case is a really bad idea. The thing will just beat up the gun and have a ton of perceived recoil.

On top of that the JP silent spring system is made of aluminum which means it is nowhere near as heavy as a 9mm buffer. So that would reduce even more weight. If you got the JP system to work in a blowback 9mm the gun would beat itself to death and have a very heavy perceived recoil impulse.

In my case I built a silent spring "buffer" out of steel and it weighs just a wee bit less than a 9mm buffer so in that case it may be possible to drill out the carrier weight to get the thing to run. However I am not at the point where I am desperate to try this quite yet. I would probably make a second carrier weight so that if the experiment doesn't work out as planned I can reinstall the original weight.
Hooz
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hooz »

I've been kicking around the idea of making an SCS setup for my 9mm SBR. I'm going to see if using brass weights with a steel system will get the weight close to what I've got now with the buffer + carrier weight.

I'm also planning on making the sliding assembly longer to match the dedicated 9mm buffers (or carbine length buffers + spacers) out there to prevent bolt overrun.

Having a retired tool-and-die maker with a garage machine shop for a Dad has its advantages sometimes. :twisted:
[size=75][b][i]"There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11?" - Yuri Orlov[/i][/b][/size]
ThreeHundredTraveler
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredTraveler »

talonxracer wrote:I ran the standard spring that came with the Captured Spring and it works fine with subs and supers. Running a AR-Stoner 16" carbine gas lightweight profile barrel, upper is a DPMS Slickside, Lancer mags and no muzzle device. It ran all factory ammo, subs and supers.

I then drilled the gas port to .125" and installed a Syrac adjustable gas block. I can now fine tune the rifle to a specific load with the springs and gas. The feel is similar to a typical space rifle. Now remember when fine tuning the rifle to a specific load, it does negatively impact the ability to quickly change the type of ammo you are running. I put the stock spring back in and tuned the gas block to run everything after deer hunting season, but I am sure I will take the time this spring to tune for both subs(UMC220gr) and supers(Barnes blacktips) again.
Let's say you settle on two types of ammo and you are not concerned about a couple hundred dollars. Since you remove that nasty little pointy thing in the buffer tube thread area anyway, couldn't you have two JPs ready to go for either load and a MicroMoa slide gas for one or the other. A few seconds and you are converted for the alternate load. And with the MicroMoa a no cycle at all setting too.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

ThreeHundredTraveler wrote:
talonxracer wrote:I ran the standard spring that came with the Captured Spring and it works fine with subs and supers. Running a AR-Stoner 16" carbine gas lightweight profile barrel, upper is a DPMS Slickside, Lancer mags and no muzzle device. It ran all factory ammo, subs and supers.

I then drilled the gas port to .125" and installed a Syrac adjustable gas block. I can now fine tune the rifle to a specific load with the springs and gas. The feel is similar to a typical space rifle. Now remember when fine tuning the rifle to a specific load, it does negatively impact the ability to quickly change the type of ammo you are running. I put the stock spring back in and tuned the gas block to run everything after deer hunting season, but I am sure I will take the time this spring to tune for both subs(UMC220gr) and supers(Barnes blacktips) again.
Let's say you settle on two types of ammo and you are not concerned about a couple hundred dollars. Since you remove that nasty little pointy thing in the buffer tube thread area anyway, couldn't you have two JPs ready to go for either load and a MicroMoa slide gas for one or the other. A few seconds and you are converted for the alternate load. And with the MicroMoa a no cycle at all setting too.
Yup, I know the preset positions on my gas block for either supers or subs, I put the buffer retainer back in so that I can use the JP for supers and a conventional buffer/spring for subs. A second JP CS buffer without the buffer retainer pin installed in the lower would be even easier as you mentioned.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

ThreeHundredTraveler wrote:

I'm not familiar with how the spring is retained on the JP unit but I can change out springs on my unit in only a few seconds. So I have a couple of extra springs and can just change to suit whichever setup I am running.
Last edited by Suputin221 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Just for shits & giggles I added a Law Tactical folding stock knuckle to my 10" Blackout with the captive spring recoil system.

It seems to work fine. I left out the retaining pin so the captive spring system does drop out of the buffer tube a bit too easily. I may install the retaining pin but it is pretty nice to be able to pull it out so easily when I want to change the spring.

I def like the look of the gun with the stock folded although it is pretty wide.

IslandTimes

Post by IslandTimes »

Suputin221 wrote:Just for shits & giggles I added a Law Tactical folding stock knuckle to my 10" Blackout with the captive spring recoil system.

It seems to work fine. I left out the retaining pin so the captive spring system does drop out of the buffer tube a bit too easily. I may install the retaining pin but it is pretty nice to be able to pull it out so easily when I want to change the spring.

I def like the look of the gun with the stock folded although it is pretty wide.

Wait, how does the bolt cycle with that setup? I thought there was a rod in the JP captured spring that goes into the bolt carrier when it cycles, which would be a problem since the law tactical adapter plugs up the back of the bolt carrier?
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

IslandTimes wrote:Wait, how does the bolt cycle with that setup? I thought there was a rod in the JP captured spring that goes into the bolt carrier when it cycles, which would be a problem since the law tactical adapter plugs up the back of the bolt carrier?
Benefits of having a lathe. I drilled a clearance hole through the middle of the plug for the guide rod.
aleaddict
Silent Operator

Post by aleaddict »

Nice thread . . .

Can you tell me why there are two relief cuts in the body? I know one holds the retaining clip but what is the purpose of the 2nd cut? Thanks!