Tell me about Triggers

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

chase102798
Silent But Deadly

Re: Tell me about Triggers

Post by chase102798 »

JasonM wrote:
wdyasq wrote:I am in the process of building two 300 Blackouts. One will be a DSA upper. The other upper I will build as I have 4 A3 uppers I need to use.

I also have several lower choices. I have "PlumCrazy" and "New Frontier" Plastic Lowers. Both have decent, triggers with little creep. On one of my New Frontier lowers I cleaned the sear surfaces, changed to a Wolff low pressure trigger and disconnect spring and added oil. It is slightly improved over the stock trigger.

I've got a Jewel Trigger to install in one rifle (like any good AR builder, I have guns in several calibers and configurations ..... research you know.) I am considering a Rock River two stage or possibly a CMMG two stage. I don't know any who have used and recommend the CMMG. It LOOKS similar to the Rock River unit except for bronze bushings and it is adjustable with an Allan Wrench.

Cost of a CMMG trigger is ~$95. I can get a Rock River unit with a lower parts kit for $155. Any other decent trigger starts at about $180.

I have never purchased a trigger for any rifle or pistol. I have always cleaned the sear with hones and polished with jeweler's rouge. On the AR rifles I end up with an unbearably long, but smooth, trigger pull. I am reluctant to put stops to reduce sear engagement.

Does anyone have experiences with the CMMG two stage trigger they can relate?

Thanks,

Ron

Having used a ton of triggers over the years, my current advice comes down to this:

1. Stick with the standard GI trigger from a quality company like Bravo, DD, Colt, etc. Reduced power springs are cheating- they make the trigger seem to feel better at the cost of performance- they often result in light primer strikes, etc.

2. If you are going for an upgraded trigger, skip the budget options, bite the bullet and get a Geiselle. My current choice is the SSA-E.

just my 2¢
Very well said.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

oldpapps wrote:Check Bill Springfield's work at:

http://www.triggerwork.net/arparts.html

I'm happy with his product.

Enjoy,

OSOK

I strongly suggest anyone considering going with this hack, google his name and find all the reports of problems. I myself had a trigger I sent to him and it doubled from the get-go. Total garbage, and not worth the $40 or whatever he charges. He is removing the surface hardness of your parts, which is not a good thing, even if he does get it "right" to begin with.

the marshmallow has it right on this one. I have yet to find a trigger that produced better results than an equal cost in ammo down the pipe. If you MUST muck around with trigger, Geissele is the A-answer.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Have a Geissele SSA, LMT 2 stage, RRA 2 stage, Geissele S2S (out of production), Spikes NiB battle trigger.

I advise against stoning triggers, the outter crust is hard, once you stone through, bad things happen.

Happy with the RRAs - lifetime warranty. No issues, very good performance.
LMT is good
Geissele SSA is fantastic
Geissele S2S and Spikes are NIB, never installed, so no idea.
Heard the CMMG is good, but no experience.

Oh - 15 minute trigger job
http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

Ok - and plastic lowers. All the naysayers are guys that don't own one. If Magpul made it, they'd be kneeling in worship. Lifetime warranty, $99 complete. What about the Calvary Arms that everyone loved until ATF closed them?

People unwilling to accept change, or keep an open mind to new ideas . . . remind me of those who claimed the Earth was flat.

Don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em. More for me. Unless you own and have had a problem, you are knocking something you know nothing about.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
chach3

Post by chach3 »

I have a standard GI that I polished with JP springs and a RRA 2 Stage with JP springs and I never had a light primer strike with either of them.

I like both of mine, but now the RRA has broke in, it is really nice. I am thinking about buying another one.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Maryland_Shooter wrote: Ok - and plastic lowers. All the naysayers are guys that don't own one. If Magpul made it, they'd be kneeling in worship. Lifetime warranty, $99 complete. What about the Calvary Arms that everyone loved until ATF closed them?

People unwilling to accept change, or keep an open mind to new ideas . . . remind me of those who claimed the Earth was flat.

Don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em. More for me. Unless you own and have had a problem, you are knocking something you know nothing about.

I don't have to take a bite of the shit sandwich to know it's not what I want to eat.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

how 'bout Chip McCormick triggers?

Nobody has chimed in on those yet...

http://www.cmctriggers.com/
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I have been looking at 6.8 SPC lately.

SSA have two levels of power, the Tactical loading and the Commercial loading. The Tactical loading is close to 100 fps faster than the commercial.

This is what Sliver State Armory says about their Tactical Ammunition:

1. This ammunition uses Mil-Spec primers, min 4.5lb hammer spring required.

Maybe something to keep in mind when making your decision.

http://www.ssarmory.com/6.8_spc_ammo-11 ... _Load.aspx
"we have only two things to worry about:
that things will never get back to normal,
and that they already have."
oldpapps
Silent But Deadly

Post by oldpapps »

Maryland_Shooter wrote:Have a Geissele SSA, LMT 2 stage, RRA 2 stage, Geissele S2S (out of production), Spikes NiB battle trigger.

I advise against stoning triggers, the outter crust is hard, once you stone through, bad things happen.

Happy with the RRAs - lifetime warranty. No issues, very good performance.
LMT is good
Geissele SSA is fantastic
Geissele S2S and Spikes are NIB, never installed, so no idea.
Heard the CMMG is good, but no experience.

Oh - 15 minute trigger job
http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

Ok - and plastic lowers. All the naysayers are guys that don't own one. If Magpul made it, they'd be kneeling in worship. Lifetime warranty, $99 complete. What about the Calvary Arms that everyone loved until ATF closed them?

Well said.

I put a Bill Springfield trigger in one of my ARs (.223/5.56) and after a guess of 800 rounds or so, my son took it over. I have no idea how may rounds he has ran trough it. I thought for a bit that I should try to get it back :roll: so I could replace the trigger group, after all I've been told it will go bad. But then I knew that wasn't going to happen. I was quite happy with that trigger before it got carried off. :oops:

Oh, the world is not flat. It used to be but now there is a low spot where my fat @$$ is sinking in :lol:

Enjoy,

OSOK
wdyasq
Silent Operator

Post by wdyasq »

I've only got a few hundred rounds through my plastic lowers. I've had no 'real' problems.

I did have a forward take-down pin come our of the lower. It took a while to get the spring/keeper/pin back in. BUT, I didn't have any tools with me either. I WILL build a pin replacement tool.

The trigger in my New Frontier lower is as good as triggers that cost twice as much as a complete lower. Now I might want more trigger on a competition gun. This would be a gun where my ego is more important than true function.

Fortunately most of my ego went away with youth.

Ron
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

You don't own one, you haven't used one, you haven't seen one break in person - yet they are garbage? :roll:

Listen, if you don't have confidence in plastic, I understand.

It's just improper to knock a product as junk if you cant state with any degree of specificity what makes them junk.

Just my opinion that for $99 complete - it's well worth it. The buffer, spring, extension and stock has to be worth $40-$50. I hear the triggers are great. I have 2, but haven't even gotten around to trying them.

Here is a "torture test" and the plastic lower beats your aluminum lower, hands down. Have a look at the vid with an open mind.

People used to think the Earth was flat ya know. RRA is coming out with a plastic 1911 (well some plastic).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpnmi3XPP8
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.