Feedback for 300 BLK purchase from CMMG via Cabela's

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jtbx

Feedback for 300 BLK purchase from CMMG via Cabela's

Post by jtbx »

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

The purpose of this story is to make people aware of the potential pitfalls of purchasing an upper online. Like many of you (or all) I was intrigued and excited by the 300 BLK, and started a new AR project. The lower assembly includes some nice parts from a variety of vendors, and was awaiting funding for the upper. Cabela's started marketing a CMMG upper in the configuration that I was looking for, so I made an online purchase with a 3-4 week stated delivery time. Week 4 came and went, and no delivery, so after a few more days I contacted Cabela's. They, in turn, contacted CMMG who said the order had not shipped yet. This went on until Week 7, when CMMG called me to say they were waiting on a shipment of barrels and would have it out within the week. However, the exact same person who contacted me also contacted Cabela's and said the order was mis-shipped to somebody in another state, so either CMMG lied to me or Cabela's, and based on responses to the situation, it doesn't look like it was Cabela's. They contacted me and offered to cancel my order, so I agreed and they accepted. In the meantime, CMMG decided to send another upper as a new order, and pretended they were redirecting the order from the mis-shipment. It was easy to see through this because Cabela's tracked the second order to Colorado and the first order was sent to Kentucky, on either sides of me. UPS wouldn't jump a state or two like that, especially since one of their major midwestern shipping centers is within 20 miles or where I live. Since I cancelled the order before the shipment, Cabela's has graciously offered to send me a shipping label to return the upper and refund the charges, holding CMMG responsible for the shipping charges.

Yes, I know this sounds like a whining complaint, and in some ways it is. However, CMMG was dishonest in their treatment of me as a consumer, and that is not something that I personally abide by. So, their upper is going back to them and I am saving up to get the AAC version.

In closing, please be cautious of where you order from and keep all your records (I kept mine in several places), and don't be afraid to follow-up and contact them if something goes amiss.

BTW .. Cabela's is generating a negative feedback for CMMG themselves.
wdyasq
Silent Operator

Re: Feedback for 300 BLK purchase from CMMG via Cabela's

Post by wdyasq »

jtbx wrote:Hello fellow enthusiasts!
BTW .. Cabela's is generating a negative feedback for CMMG themselves.
I believe CMMG is doing well enough generating negative feedback they won't need any help from Cabelas.

Ron
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

A company that has shown great customer service is PSA - Palmetto State Armory. They are very reasonably priced and good to work with.
jason
Silent But Deadly

Post by jason »

L1A1Rocker wrote:A company that has shown great customer service is PSA - Palmetto State Armory. They are very reasonably priced and good to work with.
Agreeed. After reading how well they dealt with the headspace issues recently, they made it to the top of my parts provider list. (And their prices for my 16" barrel and Troy handguard were great.)
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

I am real happy with PSA product and CS
and when they are out of stock, their website shows it
the promised me 2 - 3 weeks on my upper
and I got it in 14 days
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
SomeOtherGuy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by SomeOtherGuy »

I think CMMG is doing it to themselves, as others have said. I could have had a CMMG upper almost a year ago and decided to pass.

I have a DSA 300BLK upper that I am completely happy with. I know they've had long backorders for many (I got in before the backorders) but considering the price and quality I think it's worth the wait, for anyone looking at the basic and economical end of things. Let me advise that you place an order with DSA by telephone only, not website, because web ordering doesn't tell you much and their people are very helpful on the phone.

I also built my own upper with an "AR-Stoner" stainless barrel from MidwayUSA, and that has also turned out well.

I've had mixed experiences with PSA. I have a 5.56 upper from them that's pretty good but has the wrong handguard cap, but I also had function problems with my homebuilt 300BLK upper due to a defective (improperly machined) PSA BCG. The problem went away for good when I replaced the BCG, first with a used BCM to test and then with a new DD for permanent. I think it was just a fluke, but it took me over a month and a very public complaint on another forum before I got adequate attention and, ultimately, a replacement non-defective BCG. They may just be going through growing pains, but many companies (like DD) have their act completely together.
|||Honey Badger is my co-pilot, God has overwatch.|||
binder

Post by binder »

I have 2 CMMG uppers and no complaints.
ROGtac

Post by ROGtac »

This is the exact reason why I do not take payment for orders on uppers until I actually have them and they are ready to ship....saves a lot of anxiety and frustration.
Mike
ROG Tactical
tsfroggy

Post by tsfroggy »

This is really a shame. My first AR was a CMMG and even now (though it ran well) I feel like now I got taken advantage of in price, which was my first sign.

I looked very closely at CMMG's barrels, but the quality issues everyone spoke of were just too much to ignore, so I passed and bought a Grim Reaper Tactical barrel (which hopefully will be here any time soon... I'll be sure to give a range report :)

Plus, the horror stories about their CS... well, anyways. (It's too bad since they are based in my home state!)
jtbx

Post by jtbx »

Thanks for the heads up on the alternatives.