Any thoughts on this barrel for supers only rifle?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Any thoughts on this barrel for supers only rifle?

Post by Bgd »

NRA life member.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Any thoughts on this barrel for supers only rifle?

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Seems like it would do the job fine for supers. Just a matter of whether they do a good job making the barrels or not but assuming they do then should be no issue I can see.

Now the price is a bit higher than other good quality 16", 1:8 twist barrels that are similar and would do the same job BUT they don't have the look of this barrel.

If the Faxon barrel is what you want then I think you are set :)
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

that should be fine for both supers and subs in a properly setup rifle.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Nice barrel, a bit above the average for a good one, but also with some nice features. My experience with 416R SS has been nothing but positive, though like many SS tubes, it may take a few rounds to really settle in and show it's worth.
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

I just built a 6.5 Grendel using an 18" Faxon Match Series barrel today. The fit and finish are impressive. Sorry, it will be a little while till I get some rounds through it but everything looks really good. Took some chamber measurements and all seem to be spot on.

I agree there are other barrels that would do the job without as much damage to the bank. KAK comes to mind.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

I am curious about the 5R rifling. Looks like a cool barrel and it should handle lots of rounds. I went ahead and ordered one. They have been out of stock for a while now and they just came in stock. Now i just need to get the rest of the rifle. may decide to just build an upper. trying to get a LMT enhanced BCG and they are on backorder.

Thanks for the input.
NRA life member.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Other than the cosmetics, that barrel is exactly how they were originally specified by AAC.

The 5r in theory should stay a bit cleaner and clean easier since there are less corners for crap to stick to. Other than that it's like almost any other barrel, you won't know if your happy with it until you shoot it.

I do wonder why you felt the need to ask if it was suitable as a super only barrel?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

dellet wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:40 am Other than the cosmetics, that barrel is exactly how they were originally specified by AAC.

The 5r in theory should stay a bit cleaner and clean easier since there are less corners for crap to stick to. Other than that it's like almost any other barrel, you won't know if your happy with it until you shoot it.

I do wonder why you felt the need to ask if it was suitable as a super only barrel?
I have only shot supers so far and i have heard that subs work better in a pistol length. All my rifles are carbine and work flawlessly with supers. I haven't experimented with subs. My blackout is my main deer rifle so i figured supers would work best. I really only meant that i was only going to shoot supers out of it. I am also curious about the nickel teflon extension, haven't seen one before and i have not used anything from Faxon before.
NRA life member.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Bgd wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:46 pm
dellet wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:40 am Other than the cosmetics, that barrel is exactly how they were originally specified by AAC.

I have only shot supers so far and i have heard that subs work better in a pistol length. All my rifles are carbine and work flawlessly with supers. I haven't experimented with subs. My blackout is my main deer rifle so i figured supers would work best. I really only meant that i was only going to shoot supers out of it. I am also curious about the nickel teflon extension, haven't seen one before and i have not used anything from Faxon before.
Subs won't be a problem if you choose to try them, if they are it's the ammo.

Not sure what kind of advantage teflon on the extension will be. It stays cleaner and requires less lube. but that's not an area that will show much improvement. Maybe under extremely heavy use without cleaning. Sure won't hurt and is a premium type option.

it will be interesting to hear what you think about it
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.