New to 300BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

trob_205

Re: New to 300BLK

Post by trob_205 »

I’m sure AGB have improved over the years, but I’ve always thought of an AGB as a compromise to reliability in the form of a set screw coming loose or falling out. Hell im just becoming ok to the idea of a gas block that isn’t pinned to the barrel in general (Noveske is pinned :lol:) I’ll probably just rock the H2 I have with a carbine spring I have as long as there is no issues.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

theres a big difference in the QC and construction of budget vs quality AGB's.

again as thiis is going to be prrimarily a PD weapon, why would you try to go budget and risk someme QC failure hitting at the worst possible moment.

a good reliable ABG is only about $120 - i'm thinking along the lines of the SLR sentry series.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
trob_205

Post by trob_205 »

I’m just going to stick with the factory noveske pinned block.
Here’s what we got so far. Waiting on a deal on an aimpoint PRO from a buddy. I ended up changing my mind again on the suppressor and went with a Dead Air Sandman-K. It’s at the shop I just need to get my finger prints and photos around and get up there and get it paperworked. During the wait time I’ll rock my Thunderbeast Ultra 7. I also need to pick up another BCM lower so my SBR lower can stay parked on this upper. Pretty pumped and already planning either a 7-8” PDW style build or a 16” lightweight bolt gun but I also find myself weighing the pros and cons on just building another lightweight 16” AR vs the 16” bolt gun. I got time to decide. Anyone have any insight?
Eroc223

Post by Eroc223 »

markr6754 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:19 pm I’d hoped a more learned person would respond to your post... it they’re all likely out shooting. Sounds like you have a decent budget for your build...far greater than my own.

My two cents...you won’t get subsonic in the bullet weights you’re planning to use. Since you’re watching lots of YT videos, check out the 300 Blackout series by Johnny’s Reloading Bench. I don’t think he got reliably successful subsonic loads below 150gn. I can’t say it can’t happen, but you’d be in rare company.

Putting a suppressor on it, at least you can shoot quieter...but not subsonic.

Best of luck. I’m still trying to get reliable function from a 10.5” Carbine gas 300 Blackout AR. Nearly ready to swap out to a pistol gas barrel. My 8.5” pistol gas runs everything well...subs or supers...all unsuppressed.
Yes you are totally correct but I handload and can roll anyone some that will perform as intended for a specific combo.... so yes it can be done.... also yes ditch the carbine gas and go pistol and you will never look back! 😬😬😬
Eroc223

Post by Eroc223 »

trob_205 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 am I’m sure AGB have improved over the years, but I’ve always thought of an AGB as a compromise to reliability in the form of a set screw coming loose or falling out. Hell im just becoming ok to the idea of a gas block that isn’t pinned to the barrel in general (Noveske is pinned :lol:) I’ll probably just rock the H2 I have with a carbine spring I have as long as there is no issues.
You don’t need a AGB with a pistol gas system, all the ones Ive built and own they function just fine with both......
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Eroc223 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:32 am
markr6754 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:19 pm I’d hoped a more learned person would respond to your post... it they’re all likely out shooting. Sounds like you have a decent budget for your build...far greater than my own.

My two cents...you won’t get subsonic in the bullet weights you’re planning to use. Since you’re watching lots of YT videos, check out the 300 Blackout series by Johnny’s Reloading Bench. I don’t think he got reliably successful subsonic loads below 150gn. I can’t say it can’t happen, but you’d be in rare company.

Putting a suppressor on it, at least you can shoot quieter...but not subsonic.

Best of luck. I’m still trying to get reliable function from a 10.5” Carbine gas 300 Blackout AR. Nearly ready to swap out to a pistol gas barrel. My 8.5” pistol gas runs everything well...subs or supers...all unsuppressed.
Yes you are totally correct but I handload and can roll anyone some that will perform as intended for a specific combo.... so yes it can be done.... also yes ditch the carbine gas and go pistol and you will never look back! 😬😬😬
What's wrong with carbine gas other than you can't use it on barrels shorter than 10"?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Eroc223

Post by Eroc223 »

Its NOT reliable for subs at all..... pistol gas is king says me......
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Eroc223 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:57 pm Its NOT reliable for subs at all..... pistol gas is king says me......
Properly configured, carbine gas is just as reliable for subs and easier to shoot for supers. There is a very narrow window where powder choice is increased with pistol gas, but that causes over gassing for supers.

To say that carbine gas is unreliable is showing complete ignorance of the cartridge/operating system combination.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Eroc223 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:57 pm Its NOT reliable for subs at all..... pistol gas is king says me......
You have much to learn. Nothing is king, rounds can be tailored for any system. Some are more picky than others.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Eroc223

Post by Eroc223 »

I know plenty thank you, Ive been a reloader for many years (over a decade) and yes you can tailor rds but you shouldn’t have too!!! Its a headache and for what? The average person shoukd be able to go to lgs and buy ammo subs or supers and it perform with both, which a pistol gas system does!! So yeah you may wanna learn yourself.......