new guy, new build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Chappy4o

new guy, new build

Post by Chappy4o »

hey everyone new guy here,
So i decided to build me a blk gonna be a pistol until i get the wild hair for a SBR. so far my build is as follows

Aero enhanced upper
Aero BCG
Aero Quantum M-lok handguard
Aero 8" 1/7 5R 4150 pistol gas barrel
Aero melonite pistol gas tube
spikes calico jack stripped lower

im currently shopping for a gas block and the one i wanted from otis i cannot use as otis says it cannot be used on a pistol gas system (why? i have no idea but . . . whatev). so my question is what is a good adjustable gas block that y'all recommend?
next question is what are some recommendations on pistol brace and buffer systems.

intent is general plinking, HD, unsuppressed and suppressed (again waiting for wild hair for tax stamp)

thanks
Last edited by Chappy4o on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: new guy, new build

Post by bangbangping »

SLR
Chappy4o

Post by Chappy4o »

bangbangping wrote:SLR
thanks, those look nice.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Chappy4o wrote:
bangbangping wrote:SLR
thanks, those look nice.
Not the cheapest, but IMO worth the money. First, there is no separate set screw so it's quicker/easier to adjust. My experience is that it's less likely to get hopelessly fouled, too.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

SLR are junk. I have a couple frozen ones with stripped frozen setscrews.

Odin warns of the high pressure problem, because it exists. Pure physics, a gas block is just a bad place to put a set screw. And the SLR design is crappier than Odin's....

I would wait to see if you even need an AGB before dumping cash into it. Or look into the adjustable BCGs, since you need to buy a bolt anyway.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

golfindia wrote:SLR are junk. I have a couple frozen ones with stripped frozen setscrews.

Odin warns of the high pressure problem, because it exists. Pure physics, a gas block is just a bad place to put a set screw. And the SLR design is crappier than Odin's....

I would wait to see if you even need an AGB before dumping cash into it. Or look into the adjustable BCGs, since you need to buy a bolt anyway.
Are you sure you're not thinking of a different brand? The SLR blocks I have use a spring/detent system, not a set screw.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

bangbangping wrote: Are you sure you're not thinking of a different brand? The SLR blocks I have use a spring/detent system, not a set screw.
The spring steel flap pushes a detent against notches in the setscrew which is accessed from the front. They keep the setcrew from backing out on its own. Neither are necessary, as a magazine of high pressure rounds will end all possibility of setscrew motion anyway :^)

One of mine was a "toolless" version that supposedly could be turned by hand. The small T shaped piece used to turn the screw cracked off after 3-4 rounds. I put the hex head in it, but it lasted a couple of magazines before lockong up.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

golfindia wrote:
bangbangping wrote: Are you sure you're not thinking of a different brand? The SLR blocks I have use a spring/detent system, not a set screw.
The spring steel flap pushes a detent against notches in the setscrew which is accessed from the front. They keep the setcrew from backing out on its own. Neither are necessary, as a magazine of high pressure rounds will end all possibility of setscrew motion anyway :^)

One of mine was a "toolless" version that supposedly could be turned by hand. The small T shaped piece used to turn the screw cracked off after 3-4 rounds. I put the hex head in it, but it lasted a couple of magazines before lockong up.
I would wonder what cartridge/powder/gas port combination you were using. Maybe possible in a smaller bore that will generally have more pressure at the port or really dirty powder.

I have 3 SLR's on Blackouts and I will say that I doubt many people have shot more high or higher pressure loads than I have in that cartridge. Never had an issue.

Two simple rules.

Always turn the screw in first to break the carbon free and keep from pulling it into the threads.

If it's tight, shoot a few rounds to get the carbon hot and soft, then turn the screw.

It doesn't hurt to not use powder that burns dirty. I also don't use barrels with gas ports that are 12 sizes too big either and I'm sure that also helps.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Freedom1973
Silent But Deadly

Post by Freedom1973 »

I have had good luck with SLR as well. I have used it with plenty of dirty and clean powders. I clean after each shooting session as well. turn it off. Clean. Adjust back to my setting.
Chappy4o

Post by Chappy4o »

golfindia wrote: I would wait to see if you even need an AGB before dumping cash into it. Or look into the adjustable BCGs, since you need to buy a bolt anyway.
I didn't know that adjustable BCG existed. But at any rate I already have a bolt and BCG