16" Barrel Brand Recommendation?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Metonymy

16" Barrel Brand Recommendation?

Post by Metonymy »

I currently have a 300blk SBR (8.5") that I shoot suppressed and handload 208gr ELDs for. It's a dream and shoots like a champ.

I've decided that it's time to load up some Barnes 110gr TAC-TX loads with H110 and want to build a 16" barreled upper for those loads.

Here's the dilemma: is it worth the money to buy a Proof/Noveske/Rainier match barrel, or should I save 50-60% on cost and go with a KAK or Ballistic Advantage?

I did a bunch of reading on pistol vs. carbine gas length for 16" barrels and the feedback seems to be 50/50 there, so I'll accept whatever the barrel I buy has and work to optimize.

One last note: this 16" barrel *WILL* be shot suppressed, even with supersonic ammo.
sellersm

Re: 16" Barrel Brand Recommendation?

Post by sellersm »

FWIW, I've not used any of the barrels you mentioned *except for Ballistic Advantage*. I have a number of their barrels, and have yet to have an issue with function or accuracy...

My 16" 300 BLK barrel is a BA and it's more accurate than I am! So far it has worked flawlessly.

Caveat: my suppressor is still in jail, so I don't have any experience with suppressing these BA barrels.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

My first question is what exactly are you going to do with it and what level of accuracy is worth paying for. Will a high end barrel produce better results than a low end barrel yes. However if 1-1.5 MOA is acceptable, you can likely achieve that with a BA barrel. If you are looking for 1/4" 100 yard groups off the bench then the first thing to do in my opinion is to buy a high end barrel and a high end bolt. Your results may vary but my most recent build is using a BA barrel and I am getting 1/2 - 3/4 MOA with relatively minimal effort.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Metonymy wrote:I currently have a 300blk SBR (8.5") that I shoot suppressed and handload 208gr ELDs for. It's a dream and shoots like a champ.

I've decided that it's time to load up some Barnes 110gr TAC-TX loads with H110 and want to build a 16" barreled upper for those loads.

Here's the dilemma: is it worth the money to buy a Proof/Noveske/Rainier match barrel, or should I save 50-60% on cost and go with a KAK or Ballistic Advantage?

I did a bunch of reading on pistol vs. carbine gas length for 16" barrels and the feedback seems to be 50/50 there, so I'll accept whatever the barrel I buy has and work to optimize.

One last note: this 16" barrel *WILL* be shot suppressed, even with supersonic ammo.
If you're willing to accept whatever the barrel you buy has, then there is no reason to spend any more than whatever the cheapest barrel you can find costs.

If you want a barrel that offers the performance you are hoping for, find or have one made that will work the best in your application.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Metonymy

Post by Metonymy »

dellet wrote:
Metonymy wrote:
If you're willing to accept whatever the barrel you buy has, then there is no reason to spend any more than whatever the cheapest barrel you can find costs.

If you want a barrel that offers the performance you are hoping for, find or have one made that will work the best in your application.
I'm willing to accept either gas system length because I handload and can work out any possible inconsistencies I encounter during load development.

As for accuracy, I absolutely intend to go for sub-MOA, preferably half at 100 yards if I can tune my load correctly. But of course I need a barrel that's capable of such.

Sounds like anything else I've built along the way... just spend the money and buy the expensive barrel. Now to pick between the few high-end options.

Thank you and kind regards!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It really comes down to do you get what you want, or what's available.

Pistol gas in a 16" barrel and supers creates far more problems than it solves and if you want fast follow up shots it's just simply the wrong thing to have.

People will tell you that you limit yourself on powder selection if you want to shoot subs and that's true. With a suppressed carbine system you will probably only have 12-15 choices.

The benefit of carbine gas is it burns cleaner, less gas in the face, less bolt speed, is easier on the brass, less recoil, faster follow up shots, quieter at the ejection port.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.