Thinking of a New AR

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

markr6754
Silent Operator

Re: Thinking of a New AR

Post by markr6754 »

GunFunZS wrote:Right now Bear Creek Arsenal has some crazy good deals on both barrels and complete uppers. I am probably going to get one of those, as much as I want the faxxon.
Had been looking at a 10.5” stainless barrel at 300-blackoutuppers.com, stumbled upon Bear Creek Arsenal’s current sale. At under $50 delivered, I’m not expecting a $200 equivalent barrel. Slowly accumulating for my first upper build...just so I can say I did it. Since I already built the lower on my 8.5” 300 Blackout pistol, so I’ll have something to test with once I’m done. If the BCA barrel doesn’t work as expected, or I screw it up, I won’t be crying big alligator tears.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thinking of a New AR

Post by GunFunZS »

markr6754 wrote:
GunFunZS wrote:Right now Bear Creek Arsenal has some crazy good deals on both barrels and complete uppers. I am probably going to get one of those, as much as I want the faxxon.
Had been looking at a 10.5” stainless barrel at 300-blackoutuppers.com, stumbled upon Bear Creek Arsenal’s current sale. At under $50 delivered, I’m not expecting a $200 equivalent barrel. Slowly accumulating for my first upper build...just so I can say I did it. Since I already built the lower on my 8.5” 300 Blackout pistol, so I’ll have something to test with once I’m done. If the BCA barrel doesn’t work as expected, or I screw it up, I won’t be crying big alligator tears.
I can say that between CMMG, PSA, Faxxon, the PSA has had the least picky chamber about reliably feeding odd profile bullets. Faxxon is probably the tightest. All have rather sharp feed ramps. It seems like a lot of people are finding that the ballistic advantage chambers are tight, and have sharp leads which means that cast and plated bullets don't like them.

Since I do cast, I almost like the PSA 10" better than the faxxon now. The faxxon is lighter, and has the feel of higher quality, but that doesn't mean a lot.

Not having to hack up the feed ramps on a new barrel for me is a significant selling point for the BCA. If you get one and it groups okay, I would probably quit while you are ahead.

So I guess what I am getting at is that if you want a barrel which feeds anything, it might be a different choice than you might make if you were just going to shoot 125 SSTs or other factory ammo, looking for ultimate precision.