Good Red Dot and magnifier systems

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Re: Good Red Dot and magnifier systems

Post by GunFunZS »

Just because the obvious garbage was garbage for him, and top tier was top tier somehow doesn't say anything about the stuff in the middle.

Especially with how many people I know who are very happy with stuff like TR25 and the primary arms/ holosun dots in the ~200 range.

It is certainly plausible that a $700 aimpoint is made better, but how much better? Once battery life exceeds 1 year constant on, it starts to sound like bragging points. Leave the dot on and change the batts every new years, and see how many years it takes of batteries to amortize the initial cost differential.

I haven't played with magnifiers, other than quite a few good conventional scopes, and I gotta say the holosun with the ACSSII reticle on it makes a lot of sense to me. I liked their normal models, and that combo really does seem like the best of available features at a reasonable price.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see Aimpoint offer more or less the same thing, but with an NSN this year.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm researching red dots and triplers to put on a carbine I'm thinking of . Can any tripler be mounted to work with any red dot, or is there some kind of height/mount incompatibilities?

I'm looking at the Vortex combo. Anyone have experience, good ot bad with these. It looks like the set can be found for around $425.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

I should have mentioned this was going on a 10.5 inch 300blk AR SBR, in the initial post.

The magnifier would be used for supersonic at 100 yards or more, to punch paper just for fun. Or, maybe hunting out to max of 125 yards. The magnifier would be an as needed use.
Hunting any animal further that, I would break my AR-10 in 308.

I am probably going with the SIG 5 XDR, or the Holosun counterpart with green dot emitter instead of red.

I will probably buy this weekend “red dot” this weekend. I might get the magnifier later, like Black Friday depending on my experience at the range.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

I found the Vortex Strike Fire II and the 3X Multiplier Kit at Optics Planet for $303 with discount sale price and free shipping. That seemed like a good deal and it's hard to go wrong with Vortex.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
Firewalker41

Post by Firewalker41 »

Another good option is the Burris AR 1X. I haven't used a magnifier on it yet. But inside 200 yards it has preformed very well with both subsonic and supers. And inside 50 yards it is a screamer. :lol:
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

I looked at that one also, but the Vortex kit was cheaper and I think the quality is as good. I'm not too concerned about distance shooting with this rig. They are going on a .223 build with a 16" bull barrel and I have another with a 20" SS barrel and Sightron scope. This one is going to be a plinking toy.
None of my rifles have any tacticool stuff hanging off of them. I don't plan on having to clear any buildings.LOL I have a safe loaded with handguns that more than meet my self defense needs.

I think the main consideration is to just stay away from the gun show "bargains". I've never had much success buying cheap stuff.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

rlandry6 wrote:I looked at that one also, but the Vortex kit was cheaper and I think the quality is as good. I'm not too concerned about distance shooting with this rig. They are going on a .223 build with a 16" bull barrel and I have another with a 20" SS barrel and Sightron scope. This one is going to be a plinking toy.
None of my rifles have any tacticool stuff hanging off of them. I don't plan on having to clear any buildings.LOL I have a safe loaded with handguns that more than meet my self defense needs.

I think the main consideration is to just stay away from the gun show "bargains". I've never had much success buying cheap stuff.
Can you post links for the vortex kit?
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

This is where I will probably get my sig XDR or Holosun green dot counterpart. I am seriously thinking about pissing of the wife and getting magnifier too.

Heart of Texas
https://www.heartoftexasarmory.com/stor ... ducts.html

Sig Romeo 5 XDR
https://www.heartoftexasarmory.com/stor ... 5_XDR.html
Sig Romeo5 XDR - use coupon code XDR40 to save $40 off the price

Holosun green dot counterpart of interest to me. I dislike the names of the models, they confuse me.

https://www.heartoftexasarmory.com/stor ... 03gu_elite
coupon code 503ELITE to save $35

https://www.heartoftexasarmory.com/stor ... C_GR_Elite
coupon code 510C to save $30

Juliet 6x magnifier, I want a this.
https://www.heartoftexasarmory.com/store/p156/juliet6
Sig Juliet4 Magnifier - use coupon code JULIET50 to save $50 off the price
Sig Juliet6 Magnifier - use coupon code JULIET75 to save $75 off the price
6x video from YouTube, look at the clarity at the end of the video. Why I like it so much.
https://youtu.be/g6_kodqku70
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

TexasEric wrote:
rlandry6 wrote:I looked at that one also, but the Vortex kit was cheaper and I think the quality is as good. I'm not too concerned about distance shooting with this rig. They are going on a .223 build with a 16" bull barrel and I have another with a 20" SS barrel and Sightron scope. This one is going to be a plinking toy.

Can you post links for the vortex kit?
Go to Optics Planet and do a search on this and it will come up.
The set is $349, but the holiday sale knocks it down to $302 and free shipping.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

My wife blocked the magnifier....so I am going with a more expensive optic.
I am stuck between the Holosun HE510C-GR Elite and the Sig Romeo 4H. To be fair Holosun makes good chunk of the Sig line of red dots. But the Holosun has a ton of good features. Plus, I like the green reticle.