Meet my latest build - with special thanks to Dellet

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

2manyToys
Silent But Deadly

Re: Meet my latest build - with special thanks to Dellet

Post by 2manyToys »

Nice build!

If MASP makes a different extension that will allow the LAW folder to work with the JP SCS, be sure to let us know. I, for one, would sure be interested.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Good write up as well!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Something that should not go unnoticed here, and it's a huge tip of the hat to Flatliner, is that he took a rifle straight off the build table, with basically an unknown load, and shot a class with it.

That says a lot about his ability to choose parts that will compliment each other. Consider all the threads posted of problems with function and it shows what a little thought of what works, instead of what's cheap can do.

I don't know how many rounds were fired in the class, but the number we talked about him needing was 500.

Would be interested in knowing about the class and what it was like to do one with all subs.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

dellet wrote:Something that should not go unnoticed here, and it's a huge tip of the hat to Flatliner, is that he took a rifle straight off the build table, with basically an unknown load, and shot a class with it.

That says a lot about his ability to choose parts that will compliment each other. Consider all the threads posted of problems with function and it shows what a little thought of what works, instead of what's cheap can do.

I don't know how many rounds were fired in the class, but the number we talked about him needing was 500.

Would be interested in knowing about the class and what it was like to do one with all subs.
Thanks for the nice comments everybody. I am really proud of this build, way more than any I have done before.

Smurky, I will look into that safety.

Dellet, I ended up using close to 500 rifle and only about 50 pistol, if that. As for the subs, it was TOTALLY fun, I could feel the envy from everybody else everytime it was bang, bang, bang, tink, tink, bang, bang ;-) The vast majority of this class was run at short distances so I wasn't at any real disadvantage and the quiet and soft recoil actually worked to my advantage on some drills. I am doing an advanced dynamic class in September with a lot of movement, variation, barricades, distance, etc. I will likely run a combo of sub/super like I would if the zombies come for that one. I plan to have really good dope on the rifle by then though.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

Flatliner wrote:I did do the whole class with subs but that probably wasn't the best choice for the 100 yard stuff. Since it wasn't really a competition, I wanted to see how the load with the 180 grain subs held up to the 'default' on the reticle for 100 yards. Unfortunately the group size opened up so much I am not sure I answered that question. (That was shooter and the weird positions we were shooting from)

As for the handle, the mechanical one isn't really unique, just held to tighter tolerances so it 'feels' higher quality than the similar designs I have seen. The latchless one however IS unique on the market. There were a few out a number of years ago but to my knowledge nobody is still doing them. The latch is held with spring tension. The problem has always been that they don't work with suppressed rounds because they kick out of battery with the increasing backpressure during rapid fire. What MASP did is patent a design that allows the spring tension on the latch to be user adjustable. One of the machinists from his shop was also in the class. It was his first time with a new rifle in 5.56. 10ish min into the class we did have to adjust his tension about 1/4 turn tighter but then he ran all day without a single problem. The walk back to my tool box took longer than the adjustment.

Here is the latchless:
http://www.maspindustries.com/MASP-Indu ... _3995.html
Here is the Throttle:
http://www.maspindustries.com/AR15-Thro ... _4109.html

One other thing that I can't totally explain. I have always gotten at least a little gas back in my face with rapid fire strings on anything I have shot that was suppressed (rifle). With these handles (both of them) that has never happened.

Have you eve tried the Gasbuster charging handles, if so, how do they compare?
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

300black wrote:
Flatliner wrote:I did do the whole class with subs but that probably wasn't the best choice for the 100 yard stuff. Since it wasn't really a competition, I wanted to see how the load with the 180 grain subs held up to the 'default' on the reticle for 100 yards. Unfortunately the group size opened up so much I am not sure I answered that question. (That was shooter and the weird positions we were shooting from)

As for the handle, the mechanical one isn't really unique, just held to tighter tolerances so it 'feels' higher quality than the similar designs I have seen. The latchless one however IS unique on the market. There were a few out a number of years ago but to my knowledge nobody is still doing them. The latch is held with spring tension. The problem has always been that they don't work with suppressed rounds because they kick out of battery with the increasing backpressure during rapid fire. What MASP did is patent a design that allows the spring tension on the latch to be user adjustable. One of the machinists from his shop was also in the class. It was his first time with a new rifle in 5.56. 10ish min into the class we did have to adjust his tension about 1/4 turn tighter but then he ran all day without a single problem. The walk back to my tool box took longer than the adjustment.

Here is the latchless:
http://www.maspindustries.com/MASP-Indu ... _3995.html
Here is the Throttle:
http://www.maspindustries.com/AR15-Thro ... _4109.html

One other thing that I can't totally explain. I have always gotten at least a little gas back in my face with rapid fire strings on anything I have shot that was suppressed (rifle). With these handles (both of them) that has never happened.

Have you eve tried the Gasbuster charging handles, if so, how do they compare?
I have used the strike industries one and I like this one a lot better. I have shot others that are supposedly 'gas diverting' and this is my favorite I have ever used.
GunFunZS
Silent But Deadly

Post by GunFunZS »

Flatliner wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:Those Primary Arms scopes are amazing. I’ve never been a fan of BDC reticles but theirs work great.
I totally agree Dolomite. I have several of their scopes. I think they have nailed the Price:Value ratio for the AR platform really well with both these scopes and their red-dots.
I don't like BDCs in general, though I will take any BDC over a plain cross hair just for having a visual reference.

That said, I really like the ACSS series of reticles for how intuative and fast they make practical visual range estimation. I talked a friend into getting their ACSS 1-6 scope, (actually I told him to get the 1-8). On no magnificaiton with the horseshoe lit up, it is pretty close to using a red dot, and with zoom it is a very clear fast reading scope. Only thing I didn't like was how thick the post was at the bottom, and I wanted about 10x on top end. IMO this scope works well in a lot more scenarios than most sighting options. Not- it can be made to work/ but it actually works well.